Prototype new motion controller for PS3 and EyeToy

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by HyRax1, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Anyone seen this yet? It's a prototype of Sony's new Wii-competing motion-sensing controller slated for a 2010 release. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/06/...ccurate-ps3-motion-controller-coming-in-2010/

There's a YouTube demo video in there too demonstrating one and two controllers together. Seems to be nice and simple interface and very flexible too - will open up a wealth of new game titles.

2. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

havnt had a chance to look at that video but i was pretty impressed with the bow and arrow @ e3

3. tht

tht Member

The wii doesn't have a lot going for it now that both xbox and ps3 have hopped on board wiht the sensing action. I have a feeling Nintendo are heading into the same path as sega.

4. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

If it does indeed work like that video shows, thats quite amazingly accurate... So much potential there

5. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

For one, it will make FPS'ers that much easier to play (at least for me) - I just can't fathom a console controller for FPS games at all - I'm keyboard and mouse for that one, but I dig the console analogue controls for just about every other game genre!

Now imagine playing a FPS on a nice large-scale projected display, say about 2-3 metres high and about 6 or so metres wide - you'd really feel like you were in the game picking people off! :)

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Nintendo have more money than god, they aren't heading the way of Sega. If Sony can outmarket Nintendo with this then maybe the Big N will finally have some serious competition for all those casual dollars, but I highly doubt that. It doesn't matter if it's a million times better than the Wiimote, it's just very hard to outdo Nintendo's marketing.

7. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

i too cannot stand FPS games with the analog controller, its just not right ahhaha

this motion controller will be great for those games...motion control K2 or CS..oh yeh!

8. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

umm.. no it wouldnt.

there has yet to be a viable motion control for fps games.

closest you would get would be say, something like the SNES superscope (i.e. shoulder mounted gun) that tracks x/y movement and has a thumbstick for z + strafe movement.

9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

MoH: Heroes 2 worked quite well on the Wii, I was a crack shot at it and that's without motion plus helping it. To say it worked better than a mouse or even the joysticks of an xbox is a bit of a stretch though :p Though what you should realise spudboy is that all the crap being spun by MS about the controller being a barrier to some people playing games is quite true. Some people have a hard time translating their motions on a screen to actions in their thumbs but give them motion controls and it all becomes simpler and less scary. Way of the world dog, casual gamers gotta rule the market. Don't know why it bothers some gamers so much that casuals are becoming the big market :p Maybe it felt nice being the centre of attention for devs instead of making quick cheap simple games that make a truck load of cash.

10. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

lol

sad day indeed..

that being said, i know full well the merits of casual gaming... <3 my wii

but tbh, i am seriously of two minds with sony and MS jumping in on this.
    i think it should remain nintendos domain.

but, cant argue with money.. and it is also a massive compliment to nintendo that everyone is adopting this as well.

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

It'll certainly keep big N on it's toes for their next console. Can't really just do a Wii2 when everyone has just pinched your unique ideas anyway.

I really hope the look of those Sony controllers are very much a prototype as they look hideous. The Wiimote and nunchuk already closely resembled a sex toy, this doesn't help to get rid of that image.

The thing I don't really get though is what casual gamers are buying PS3s :S 'hardcore' (I hate that term) gamers won't be into this and surely that is the PS3s market. There might be the occasional game I'll want from it, and some of my huge Sony fanboy friends will snap it up but that's not really moving massive numbers. Maybe there's the volume of people who bought the PS3 just for the bluray and never actually bought any games, and sure there's quite a lot of them, this may entice them to have another go at gaming.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

what kind of sex toys are you using??

13. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

Once the console is cheaper they will have the casual market too. I think this is more a case of sticking it to Nintendo and getting rid of their unique selling point.

All Nintendo has left is 'fun' titles, classics like Mario and Zelda and, um... good marketing

14. doug81

doug81 Member

thatis friggin awesome! If only Sony had developed it earlier though, probably wouldn't have had such a big Wii stampede (although the price point is still a big issue)