PS1 emulation - what are people using these days?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by millsy_c, Jan 25, 2019.

1. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

After seeing the PS classic become a bit of a flop I have been looking into building a more useful PS1 emulator, e.g. with the guide LGR put up.

Is that a decent guide? I was tempted to pick up one of the ps1 classic consoles @89 and use the controllers on a pi...

Cheers!

2. power

power Member

the classic modding scene is hotting up.

that's what i plan on using.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Thanks for the link!

Yeah I have a real modded PSX too, but the CD drive is starting to sound a bit iffy :(

I use FPSE and SixAxis on my android phone which is awesome too, might have to just pickup another PS3/4 controller.

Just read through the ps classic thread and what they're up to with bleemsync, so might give that a whirl I think!

5. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

A combination of POPStarter on a PS2 (OPL daily as the launcher) and EPSXE 2.0.5 on my desktop. All depends on what mood I'm in.

Note that there's a bug with EPSXE where a new setting added - a CPU clock multiplier (to boost framreates for things which have independent timing) - doesn't have a default setting, so it won't work out of the box. You have to remember to give it a setting.

elvis likes this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Depends what display you want to run it on.

CRT and/or upscaler/line doubler on LCD:
    Original PS1 with PSIO (assuming you have an IO port on your PS1) if you want to wait for next preorder.

LCD with a decent desktop:
    as mentioned above I can also vouch for Mednafen/Beetle - accurate emulator and is available as a Retroarch core.

LCD with a PS3:
    Jailbroken PS3 is a good option due to its built in native software emulation and scaling/smoothing options - plus Dual Shock 3 support just makes everything so easy.

Raspberry Pi can only use PCSX-Rearmed in Retropie/Retroarch, this is what the Playstation Classic uses (when you run Retroarch standalone or Bleemsync) The results between the Pi and PSC are very similar. PCSX isn't accurate but it's adequate for casual play. The Playstation Classic controllers while quite good are not quite as good as originals but far from being cheap crap.

ePSXe is tried and tested if you want to spend time tinkering and "enhancing" the original visuals.

EDIT: PSIO now says in stock!
    also Bleemsync 1.0.0 public BETA is rough around the edges but functional.

EDIT2: sorry, actual description says NOTE: Orders will be placed on backorder! Orders placed now will be shipped before approximately ‘March 2019’.

7. Camm

Camm Member

For PC, RetroArch + Beetle (Mednefan) has the best performance with the least amount of bugs IMO, at least on a reasonably powerful system. It can also handle insanely large internal rendering scales, which when paired with good filtering, can really clean up 3D titles.

Most importantly, it also supports PGXP, which stops the pixel 'flicker' that PS1 games are renowned for.

8. flain

flain Member

I'm using a jailbroken PSTV. Plays PS1, vita and PSP games and you can play them on a usb stick. HDMI out and can use a ps4 controller. It works really well.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm still perplexed as to why the PSOne Classic wasn't just a re-do of the PSTV.

I didn't even know that was a thing. Any chance you can add some info to the PlayStation FAQ thread?

10. OP
    OP
    millsy_c

millsy_c Member

For the sake of an update, with the v1 bleemsync release and the 89 dollar PS classic (and a general lack of time) I gave that a whirl for the sake of curiosity and yeah the reviews set me up for the right expectations. The bleemsync software is definitely superior to the original though, and I definitely wouldn't evem suggest considering the psone classic without bleemsync.

Kinda wanted the classic USB controllers anyway so I'm happy enough for now, and I can use the PS1 controllers with epsxe or a pi in the future.

Thanks all!

11. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

Sure.

elvis likes this.
  12. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

Same for me, both my Vita and PSTV are on firmware 3.6, i possibly play more PS1 games than actual Vita games.

13. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

OK, it's up. It's very wordy, though, so I've included links to the guides that I used initially to get it going myself. Hopefully it makes enough sense to get people going!

14. nimmers

nimmers Member

I've got a PS-IO, pretty good :)

elvis likes this.