PS3 deals

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Doktor, Feb 23, 2007.

1. TOX

TOX Member

You got Region Free Blu-rays?

2. Xizor

Xizor Member

3. Falkor

Falkor Member

lol I'm going to really laugh if not :lol:

Edit: At post above, Cool! :thumbup: let us know how they go :)

4. Xizor

Xizor Member

Screw you hippies haha! Worse case i ebay them or something, that site said they will play in region B players and thats us so....

5. TOX

TOX Member

Yeah you should be good ;)

6. bester

bester Member

I just rang one of the Big W's in Adelaide, who said they'd run out of PS3 stock. However, you can still put them on lay-buy now (at the $598.00AU price), and their next shipment is arriving and will be available to customers on Christmas Eve (Monday the 24th of December).

EDIT: Ended up getting one from a K-mart in Adelaide for $598.00...the last one the store had in stock.

Regards,

Bester

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  7. Protagonist

Protagonist Member

Woot, just got my PS3 from EB Games Parramatta. They didnt even check the exclusion list, even though I provided a printout directly from the GAME website.

In all, it cost me:

$80 Xbox + 7 Games (OCAU)
    $13.65 for 2 Xbox games at Kmart
    $5.86 (inc postage) for PS2 game
    ----------------------------------
    $99.51

$299 PS3 Trade In Deal
    ----------------------------------
    $398.51 Total

So I got a NEW PS3 40GB for under $400. Don't think the PS3 will drop below $400 for a long while, even with the current $600 pricing and importing it from playasia. 3 weeks of effort paid off!

Now for importing a Black DS3!

8. akataylor

akataylor Member

I work at the Harvey Norman in Castle Hill, and we're constantly being asked if we can match prices by JB Hi-fi (just downstairs from us) or Big W (which is at Macquarie Centre) because of their often very good prices. Their price is quite often under our cost as well, so we can't do anything about it. We just tell them to go to that store.

It can also depend on a store'a buying power. For example, Harvey Norman isn't focused that much on gaming (well, at Castle Hill it's certainly the case) and probably buys a lot less than JB. More buying power = lower cost price = lower list price which means we get undercut. In rare cases we just go under our cost by a couple of dollars just to keep a customer from going to another store and buying from them.

On the note of the 110% deal, a few people come in asking about that. We haven't really been too specific in what it means, but whoever said it's based on RRP would be correct. It can't be on a sale item, they need to have stock, etc. I don't think we've handed out the extra 10% too easily in the past however...

What really shits us though, are people that come in and demand this and that, ask stupid questions and generally be dickheads to us just because we're not the cheapest and expect us to "magically" fix it. If there's a better deal at a different store, just go there if we can't beat it.

:)

9. almghty

almghty Member

Has anyone heard about buying a sony bravia and getting a ps3 thrown in for free?

I overheard this in a HN store last Sunday when the salesman was talking to a potential bravia buyer. Basically told him to wait a week or so.

10. good

good Member

yep its definately about to happen soon (purcahse bravia get a free ps3). not sure on models

11. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Yes i've heard about it as well, i believe its only going to be on the high end scale of Bravia based lcd's.

12. AuroythmiX**

AuroythmiX** Member

I used to work at HN in Castle Hill.

Who is your franchiser? It was cool being able to sell across both the browngoods and computer franchise :)

Are Grant/Dan still running Browngoods?

What's your name btw? Might come in today and have a look at a few things.

Re: PS3 deals, I traded in a PS2 + 10 games @ Games Wizards for $299. Seemed like a good deal, I didn't look around and wasn't too fussed tbh!

13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Honestly i used to work in a few retail electronics/Audio/Visual stores (which i wont name) and when looking up prices on the computer for a certain product it usually displays the so called "cost price" but its rubbish..there are real prices where the higher up managers actually see in each business, which is what people should consider.

The introduction of cost prices & bullshit like that is just to satisfy the customer that is keen to bargain, dont you worry stores have caught onto this many years ago.

When negotiating the price you don’t just talk to the person in that area, you get them to ask their manager if they can do the price, its almost the same deal when trying to get some results from customer service.

Not saying its the same with 100% of all stores but the majority of the major ones.

14. Trawler

Trawler Member

Rumor is that the free PS3 by redemption offer with the Bravias starts next Friday.

I have zero interest in the PS3 as a games console, but I'll never say not to a free BluRay player. :) So I will be picking up a 46X in the new year I suppose.

15. KenZomgWtfBbq

KenZomgWtfBbq (Banned or Deleted)

Hm, a free Ps3 is a free Ps3... I am looking to get a new TV soon... maybe I will wait for this.

16. trop

trop Member

Seems like a good deal if your in the market for a new TV. Sony is really making a push to get the PS3 out there at the moment.

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

I'm all for the PS3, but you guys need to remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

If you're getting a free PS3, then the sales dude can say "sorry mate, I can't give you any more discount, the PS3 is worth 699 as it is". Now that might sound like a good deal, but the reality is that it's not costing the retail store any more to add the PS3, that is Sony's choice, so there should still be more room to move. If you paying 3 or 4K on a TV there is ALWAYS room to move :). I've seen what people pay for these kinds of TVs across the globe, I've negotiated deals with salesmen (for fun, not for purchase... yeah I suck) from Europe to the Middle East to the good ol' US of A and everytime it becomes apparent to me that we're getting screwed here in Aus. Save every dollar you can folks, you deserve it.

My opinion is that you can usually work a better deal without freebies (like a PS3) by just talking raw dollars. If I were going to by a Bravia, I'd work a deal that in pure dollars would probably be more than the cost of a PS3. With that cash you go and buy a PS3 elsewhere for less again than retail. Win win. YMMV.

18. almghty

almghty Member

Hence why we are talking about it here ...

If the promotion is through Sony and not the retailer, they can't give that excuse.

Should this free PS3 deal be true, in the end it is through Sony who are trying to push their Blu-ray bandwagon.

Which is why I dont like what the current retailers are doing with another 'free' deal; Samsung free 26" LCD deal. They are effectively telling the customer they can't go lower cause you are getting a free LCD.

However customers need to realise that people like HN have already got a shipment or two in the warehouse and the promotion that came later has NOTHING to do with what they already paid. Effectively its a crutch for them to not go lower, that suks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  19. TOX

TOX Member

The PS3 is probably by redemption.

ANyway I can't see it affecting the price, it will be similar to the SAMSUNG deal where they are throwing in free LCDs. You can still major haggle on the price

20. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

WOW! something must be scaring Sony.

First a massive 30% price cut on RRP and now giving them away?

As a consumer I am happy but you have to wonder.

My guess is...

wii with no price cuts and outselling xbox 360 and ps3.

Xbox 360 with only small price cuts outselling ps3.

ps3 in last place in all markets outside japan would be a pretty massive failure for the playstation brand and possibly even the upcoming bluray brand, umd anyone?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007