PS3 deals

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Doktor, Feb 23, 2007.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

No not really, the starting price of the 60gb was a bit much for most people..even the fans that love the playstation brand. Sony has cut out the stuff customers dont need (From many surveys).

Well the RRP is 699 so you have to remember that, what retailers sell it for is up to them. Profits are good enough on the Bravia Series for retailers, i doubt they will discount prices as much as with the ps3.

Its cheaper to produce (and sell), its been out longer with a lot of games avaliable, which is expected for a console thats been out longer than the Ps3.

The Japanese are know to support their own companies (which isnt such a crazy idea). Price is a MAIN factor for most people, as soon as the 40gb ps3 came out in Japan sales rose 300%, with next year coming with so many exclusives, you'll find many people turning to the ps3 same as people did when halo 3 came out on the 360.

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Does anyone know if EB are still offering the trade in deal on the PS3, if you trade in your 360 and X number of games you can get a PS3 for $299.00. The aussie EB site has been down for a day or so now

Cheers

Z

3. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Comparing the PS3 with a Wii is about as sensible as comparing a PS3 with a high end PC. Sure, all three can play games, but each of them have far more to offer (well the Wii doesn't really). Considering that Sony's consoles have a much longer lifespan than the others, I doubt sales figures from the first 12months in Aus is goign to have them terribly worried. Up until recently, wasn't the PS2 still outselling all the other consoles anyway?

Haha when was UMD ever intended to sell outside of the PSP?! Proprietry media is there often just to make piracy that much harder. (Although didn't really work out considering you can run stuff of a Memory Stick in the PSP). Minidisc would have been a better point, but even then, that still sold for a fair while, and still offers a handy medium for live recordings.

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

The PS2 was outselling most consoles even the ps3 :D

Xbox 360 = Next console 4 years (from release date)
    Playstation 3 = Next console 6 years (from release date)
    Nintendo = Next console about 4-6 years (from release date).

For PS3 owners its good, that you pay for something that will last some time..but the problem is we will have the same situation we have now; with the xbox 360 being released earlier than the PS3 & in reality owns the market "at the moment".

5. trop

trop Member

I don't see them launching the PS4 almost 3 years (6yrs from PS3 launch) after the next xbox drops. It would be a pretty dumb move.

The PS3 and the 360 are on fairly level footings at the moment in terms of actual performance (not numbers on the spec sheet, actual game performance), but the PS3 won't even come close to whatever the next gen systems can do so they will need their next system out to compete.

6. KenZomgWtfBbq

KenZomgWtfBbq (Banned or Deleted)

I really don't want to be stuck with a previous generation console when the brand spanking new ones are out :(

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

The playstation 3 lifecycle is based on what sony had said, i can't find the exact link...but from my memory of reading it the 6 year life span was stated...also to confirm this previous releases have been the same.

Playstation 1 = 1994 (Very Late 1994)
    Playstation 2 = 2000 (Early 2000)
    Playstation 3 = 2006 (Very Late 2006)
    Playstation 4 = 2012??? or 2011?

The thing is, sony has done this for all previous consoles..over this long time the manifacturing costs get very low, in the Playstation 3's case i assume they are sill loosing money off it & would take many years before they break even & start making profits.

But honestly 6 years is a incredibly long time in the technology world. As far as i'm concerned...a coupe more years and we can expect the next gen Xbox :D

The Xbox 360 was released in Very late 2005 (November) so would it be too soon to consider a possible eta of 2010? lol

But hey if i wanted a Blu-ray player..i'd pick the PS3 what over company would support a product for 6 years!!!!!!! most blu-ray players on the market get support for a year or two at most :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  8. almghty

almghty Member

Okay I confirmed today with a friend.

He bought a Bravia X 46 on the weekend. Advised to pick up and finalise the sale this Friday so he could get a PS3.

Apparently they will give him a form to fill in, its via redemption.

Thats all I know, the start date is 21st ..i dont know the end date.

Its certainly making me steer away from buying a samsung 50" towards a bravia to get ps3 thrown in :)

9. TOX

TOX Member

I was at good guys today - I saw a leaflet - a site should come up like www.sony.com.au/bonusps3 or something in the next few days ;)

10. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

so whats the cheapest bravia i can get, with a ps3?

11. Ignignort

Ignignort Member

I'm interested in that question also. As I will be in the market for 2 bravia's :cool:

12. THeX

THeX Member

My mate just bought a Bravia about 3 weeks ago, I'm wondering if the store will let me do a refund/repurchase to get the PS3 if its courtesy of Sony. If it comes out of the stores pocket then I won't bother.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

You would have to talk to the store, or the sales person you brought it from.

14. The Beast

The Beast Member

I wonder if you can take the Bravia and PS3 home from the store when you buy it, or if you have to wait for Sony to send out the PS3. The latter will make a few people antsy over Christmas with a new TV but no PS3/BluRay to play on it!

I was thinking of getting my parents a PS3 for Christmas so they can use it as a DVD/BR disc player, and of course I'd rip all their classical music CDs and digital photos to the HDD. That and the fact with a PSEye we can video call for free... pretty cool as I live interstate.

Coincidentally I'm in the market for a decent HD tv to compliment my HD projector which I'd prefer not to use all the time... could be a great way to save some dollars!

15. good

good Member

pretty sure the ps3 is by redemption so u would have to wait

16. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

PS3 is via redemption.
    http://www.binglee.com.au/Default.aspx

Look for the Sony W Series, there's a note saying the PS3 will be available on redemption, but has no other details available... :(

17. !_Styles_!

!_Styles_! Member

This is quite a good deal, I think the W series is a bit overpriced at the moment, however this deal makes it seem a hell of a lot cheaper now. I was going to get a X series however the W could be the go.

18. TOX

TOX Member

I rekon the 101cm W with PS3 isn't a bad deal brings it down to like $1900 for a 1080p/24p tv

19. !_Styles_!

!_Styles_! Member

Just got a 40inch W series from JB, they will forward date the receipt for the 21st so that I can get a free PS3, paid 2500 for the screen which is quite good.

20. akataylor

akataylor Member

Pat is the new franchisee for Computers.(Has been since Marchish, Hired after Ben was moved) Don't know stray too much into Electrical(browngoods), although Nick is franchisee for there.
    I'm James by the way, I'm in 3 til 9 on the weekdays until chrissy, and on Sundays 10 til 5 normally.

I'm not sure If I know you, I've been working at Harveys for a year now, but since I'm usually only in on Sundays I probably didn't meet everyone.