PS3 in a cupboard overheats

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by VZey, Feb 4, 2010.

1. VZey

VZey Member

I recently purchased an entertainment unit where I have placed the PS3 in a cupboard without any holes for it to breathe.

The PS3 is getting way too hot. If I cut out the back panel so there is a gap will that be enough to keep it cool? Otherwise I might sell the unit and buy a different one.

2. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

Ps3 Phat or Thin?

3. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

4. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

Do you actually get error lights or something like that, or is it just really hot to the touch?

5. OP
    OP
    VZey

VZey Member

It's a PS3 'phat' and I have put in a 320 gig hdd.

I only just put it in, no error lights but when I opened the cupboard it was like an oven in there and too hot to touch!

6. gords

gords Oh deer!

This does not belong in the Newbie Lounge, it belongs in the Sony Consoles forum. Please take some time to post in the correct forum, not just the first one in the list.

7. emblurr

emblurr Member

I put a spare 80mm PC fan onto an unused power transformer to exhausthot air in my cabinet, but it's not necessary.

8. brad81

brad81 Member

I am unfamiliar with power transformers, I was considering getting a cheapo PSU.

Would kindly be able to point me in the right direction, or let me know how to do this?? I'm checking out DSE at the moment, but really have no idea what I'm looking at.

9. fabricator

fabricator Member

All you need is a power brick, 12v DC 1 amp or more, and some way to join the wires to the fan. Jaycar sell one that has molex plugs on it, if you don't want the fiddle around too much.

10. brad81

brad81 Member

Thanks man, appreciate it.

LOL, I'm going to mod a hardwood cabinet :thumbup:

11. emblurr

emblurr Member

I just used a 7.5V 1amp power supply from an old modem or something to do it. You just turn it off and on by the power point. Just strip the wires at the end of it and the fan wires and connect them up your favourite way. If you want the fan to run at full speed you could use a 12V one.

12. trop

trop Member

Or u can just cut a usb cord and use the +/- wires out of it to run your fan. No PSU, Power bricks, transformers etc required, just plug it into a usb port. Works perfectly on my 360 setup for the past 2-3 years.

The wire setup is below, just tape off the 2 data wires and hook the other 2 up to your fan.
    http://www.bealecorner.org/best/measure/USB/USB-cable-wiring.png

13. The King

The King Member

Just before you do;

I had the same problem (except I made my cabinet without a back on it, and the bloody thing was still overheating <slim did, my old fatboy didn't>).

See if you can remove the back panel on that section fullstop, and then find a couple of strips of something at least 40mm high, put them on either side of the PS to lift it off the shelf.

I was going to go buy a laptop calling thingo for mine, and I did the above and just getting the base of the PS off of the solid shelf fixed the issue.

14. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

cheapest option? take the PS3 out of the cupboard.....:shock:

15. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Hehe, either that, or just leave the door open when it's in use. Very cheap, very easy, and should be enough to overcome any overheat problems.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  16. brad81

brad81 Member

Yeah do that already, but I like not seeing the lights coming from the PS3 when I'm playing or watching a movie.

Worst thing is when my 1.5yr old grabs the PS3 controller, turns it on and wanders off. Leaving me a few hours later wondering what the hell the machine is doing with fans at max.

Will definately check out the USB though, I have a few cables doing nothing. It'd make perfect sense to leave it plugged into the PS3, so whenever it's on it has active cooling. Thanks for the tip.

OP, I cut out the entire middle back section of the cabinet for the HTPC for flow, but the front is open already. Maybe you can face the PS3 to the back so it draws in the cool air (assuming you cut out the back panel)and the exhaust should go up and out. I haven't done this with mine simply to avoid my cats sleeping on the PS3. Sorry if I've jacked your thread man. You've got many good ideas flowing from it though!!

17. porridge

porridge New Member

Good idea. My PS3 phat has become prone to the odd lock up and I suspect heat. Cheers