PS3 vs 360 - Three years on...

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by theicemagic, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

That's nice, I'll buy it again for PC. I'm surprised you even read Joystiq after your cry about how there's an anti-PS3 conspiracy there.

It buys you the income from the expansions themselves, plus persuading the public to buy a 360 or at least buy the game on 360 if they have both consoles so they can play it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

I'm guessing a GOTY edition isn't far off in the future (waits another year) hopefully i'll have a 5850 and a 3GHZ quad core by then....

Its mostly disappeared thanks to uncharted2 and the ps3 slim, i'm guessing the ps3 haz no games and iz too expensive argument has hit its expiry date when those 2 things appeared

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  3. seamer

seamer Member

In terms of making games for either console, the PS3 is notoriously harder to cater for than the Xbox. I've seen a lot of titles in test slated for both machines get delay after delay just because the developers can't make something work on the PS3 build.

9 times out of 10, a delay in the release date on a cross-platform title is due to the incompatibility of the PS3, guaranteed. On paper it seems more powerful, but in reality it's just too fiddly to work on two game ports at once.

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

make a multi-platform game, for 2 differnt achitectures...it doesnt matter if its a ps3, 360 or a dreamcast, you will always have problems if expect somthing to work one way, when it requires a different approach.

oh, and region issues are law bound, nothing more. ie, every country has a differnt rating system, different standards, different user agreements. then there is the simple matter of languages. ie, someone downloads a game, if they didnt realise it wasnt in english they make take issue to it and complain. small developers dont have the time nor money to make a game with a heap of languages, especially if its more than likely the game wont see sales outside thier country.

5. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

lol @ this thread...

ps. beast your a fan boy mate admit it :)

entertaintment=ps3
    Gaming= xbox360

Real winner= PC...

/end thread

6. The Beast

The Beast Member

For sure. It's hard to tell how much 'extra' they sold, but I'd imagine it would be plenty to recoup the cost of $50mil. Having said that, Microsoft stated categorically that this would never ever come to the PS3. I guess next time they cry wolf they'll have less believers.

That is exactly what happened. The coverage there has been pleasantly balanced of late, returning to being amusing rather than snide.

7. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Not that I ever read MS press releases, but when did they categorically state that it would never ever everz come to the PS3?

8. The Beast

The Beast Member

Hey thanks proffesso, I'll take your word for it given you're 'in the biz' :). Just curious though, why would Sony try and prevent (albeit poorly) people using the Playstation store in countries outside of their own?

I had to google to remember it was so long ago, can you believe it was E3 2006 when they made the original announcement. Anyway, they've always called it exclusive and when prodded they have simply replied with "the episodes are exclusive to Xbox".

Actually speaking of Joystiq, I found a funny article on this very topic which ties in nicely with what I was saying to chokeeweebee. You wouldn't see a comment today from Joystiq like the last sentence of this article from 2007 :p.

9. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Love xb360. Never owned a ps3, I'll buy one when gt5 is released though.
    I think the biggest mistake Sony have made with the ps3 is not having a GT title ready earlier on in the consoles life.

10. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah, we were talking about that at work today, Gt sells Playstations

11. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Common theme is that gaming is better on the XBOX but media wise the PS3 whips it . Software wise the Xbox being backed by microsoft should totally own the PS3 for streaming media to the lounge but botched it so bad it's scary .

Unfortunately the noise and unreliability of the XBOX negated any lead they may of gained with superior media software .

I currently have a jtagged box and hope that something like XBMC comes along . I think the coders are pretty close to cracking the old HD . It's got me amazed why sony or Microsoft don't just license XBMC or Boxee instead of cobling together their own crappy media centres . When I got my first XBOX 3 years ago I was dazzled at how bad it was compared to even the PS3 . No wonder it was such a slow starter .

Oh and another thing , Is gaming with a keyboard and mouse too much to ask for ?

I will have no guilt jumping ship too Sony for the next Generation .

12. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Some PS3 Games will run with a Mouse and Keyboard, however, its up to teh game developers to make it work, since the PS3 can have a mouse and keyboard for the XMB interface

13. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

Tekken , street fighter and Final fantasy used to xD all got ported over ish.

Also Beast, I get your point but Like some others have said If you just did your hw abit you can definitely find some of that extra required hardware cheap as chips. Eg the wireless adapter can be easily had for about 100 or less even, and xbox live can be had for 50 bux, the xbox comes with a headset whereas to even get one for the ps3 u need to spend another 50 - 80 bux on a Legit sony headset (not that u have to buy legit).

I also own both and yeh I dont think beast is making a very fair comparison

14. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

Its because its nearly impossible to do a fair comparison of each console since they each fit into their own comfortable price and demographic niches, which is probably why the console wars have been very boring with none of them dropping out or dying anytime soon.

now i think beast is making those price comparisons because feature for feature the ps3 is a bit better than the x360, in some areas, however there are some features that can be easily omitted simply because some people just don't care or want to spend another cent for it. A good example would be the fact that most people don't care about blu-ray simply because they are happy with 480p dvd, they don't care about more pixels on the screen they just want to play a stupid game. Or how about a web browser? again some people don't have an internet connection let alone wireless, they just want to play a stupid game with their mates in the same room on the same console.

and as someone who only plays online on a pc, i don't really see a point in paying 2 bucks a day to microsoft for a p2p connection, sure it may include multi-game chat or achievements, but the pc has all that features without paying extra, so i don't see the point of the 360 at all (my own personal bias lol)

thus my own preference for the ps3 is pretty much because of its versatility in that its not only a good game playing machine, it has other stuff that actually would be useful if i got bored of gaming or when my non gaming friends come over and would rather see lolcats than play guitar hero (my computer/study room is too small for guests plus i hate passing around my ancient heavy laptop).

so were pretty much comparing apples and oranges here, there are some people who just like to play games or likes the better online of the 360 they of course buy the 360, and then there are some people who like to play games, like their online to be free and like the extra features sony unnecessarily crams in each of their consoles (that would be me i guess) they buy the ps3.

To tell you the truth if i got used to controlling fpses using the x360 controller i'd probably buy the 360 as wells, rather than the rig seen in sig below. problem is i still can't aim at all using the 360 controller even after playing a few hours of halo and i got pretty pissed that i pretty much sucked at using a controller.

But yeah if you just want to game without all the extra bells whistles etc that sony shoves down in every ps3 that makes it expensive go buy an arcade 360, its just got enough features in it to be a competent next gen console

15. The Beast

The Beast Member

Were you drunk when you posted that? Be honest.

Thank you for not reading my post. Firstly, I acknowledged that no one pays retail but it works both ways - Xbox and PS.

I used RRP, and then took 40% off, that means I made the wireless adaptor $72 ($30 less than you suggest), and Xbox live at $60 ($10 more than you suggest). I'm being as fair as is humanly possible. And please don't compare the piece of shit headset you get free with the Xbox to the official PS3 bluetooth headset. I've used both and I can tell you there is no comparison.

Have a great day, good luck with the hangover.

16. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

How about 14c a day?

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Yes, Epic tried it, didn't like it, said they wouldn't do it again. You can pay for special controllers if you want a mouse but the vast majority of couch playing gamers don't want it.

18. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

Currently own

3 x 360's
    3 x PS3's

My personal preference is the PS3.. why?

Media streaming
    Exclusives - PS3 has more of what I want to play
    Multiplatform - games are much the same on most titles
    Wifi std
    Gbit ethernet std
    Blu-ray
    Gamesharing ( same PSN games can be on up to 5 PS3's )
    Quieter & more reliable
    Menu system ( the 360's dash sucks )
    Internal power.. no crappy external power brick like the 360.
    Free online
    PVR with playtv

The 360 is a cheap games machine with a few exclusives worth having.
    The PS3 just does everything ... and arguably better value.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  19. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

Sigh ok, 14c a day for online that lets you connect to p2p, and provides a walled environment similar to aol's internet back in the 1990's where the only internet applications you can use are the ones that microsoft approves of, like facebook, twitter or netflix those americans are raving on about but we aussies don't get.

Oh and 14 c a day also lets you get some demos earlier than other people who don't pay and it gets you video chat, parties, skyplayer if you happen to live in the UK, Zune music service which isn't available in aus as well, and 1vs100.

20. DrClaw

DrClaw Member

Yeah I know how to do it, I just CBF :) Signing up is easy, then i have to order those stupid cards to get US store credit etc... I just don't have the time to frig around doing it hehe. Plus I was tempted to buy the burnout paradise + new content combo pack i've seen kicking around :) Not sure if my savegame would work, as it's from the US version and the new copy would be the AU version?