PS3 vs Xbox360 - your 2 cents?

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by nübs, Feb 17, 2007.

1. nübs

nübs Member

Hi peeps.

I've moved to the UK and have left my PC back in Oz. I have access to a laptop that does most everything I want it to, and it seems a bit unnecessary to build a system right now. But I am missing out on the old game-playing.

I've not been following the development of consoles at all, and don't really know how these two products stack up against each other. A bloke at work said that the PS3 had a lot more 'potential' than the Xbox- that the Xbox was already at the limits of its hardware with the current games on offer. He could be speaking through his bunghole though and I wouldn't be any wiser- although I had read about a slow-down at the conclusion of Gears of War. For all I know however, this could be because the Xbox games are more demanding...

I'm a big fan of the Gran Tursimo series- so that goes to the Sony. Other than that, I don't really know if there's much of anything to sway me- and one title is no clincher. Tom Clancy games also go down a treat with me, I'm not sure if these are on both platforms or not. The PS3 is about double the price of the Xbox here- it would need to really have something to offer me, I guess, for me to choose it over the other.

When you consider the hardware specs, available and forthcoming titles and design features which console do you prefer? Which do you own? Fanboi comments won't help me make up my mind- but I'd welcome any weighted input. Cheers :thumbup:

After reading the comments in this thread, I have chosen a console, it is a...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. trop

trop Member

I'd go the 360 at the moment, its cheaper and has a lot of good games out already (including 3-4 tom clancy ones) and has a very well set-up and stable online play system if you're into that side of things.

In the long run I think the PS3 will be worth the money, but its lost most of its exclusives to the 360 now and isn't showing anything (games wise, graphics wise or features wise) yet that would get me to part with my money. So the only advantage it has is the blue ray drive and in reality thats likely to be as useful as a betamax player in a couple years...

Just my 2c... Btw, not interested in the Wii at all?

3. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Thats my suggestion, get a Wii60 :)

Same price as a PS3 gets you a Wii and 360, and your gonna have alot more fun

4. OP
    OP
    nübs

nübs Member

I am leaning very strongly towards the 360. I hadn't even considered the PS3 until the other day... if I hadn't been so busy recently, I'd probably already have the Xbox. Is the online-gaming experience with the Xbox better is some way than with the PS3? I have to admit that it wasn't something that I'd thought of- but it could be important.

Blu-Ray does nothing for me. I reckon a 360, mouse and keyboard and I'll be happy. I'll need to start doing my research into what tweaks etc will enhance my experience. If anyone has linkies for more appropriate places for discussions of such, or a 'must-have' type list for 360s, please let me know. As I've said- I know nothing about consoles!

Cheers for your 2c, trop. Re the Wii- I had thought about it, and I thought that it'd be fun to play with friends who don't normally get into gaming. But my day-to-day life is very healthy and active. I am actually craving that type of gameplay that is actually the anthithesis of the Wii: becoming one with the couch, inadequate lighting, salt & vinegar chips, bevvies... :lol:

I haven't actually looked into Wii titles, to be honest. I'd love for a friend or my gf to get one, and should probably start being a bit more proactive about making it happen. Maybe I'll have a Wii60 yet! Hehehe.

5. stuffisgood

stuffisgood Member

RE Wii - I own one, and at the moment the game library doesn't justify the $400 price tag. I haven't touched mine since we smashed Warioware over the course of a weekend, and the new generation of games are a long way off. There isn't even any release dates for any of the first party titles floating around.

We've talked about must have titles many times in the 360 games discussion thread, but I'll give a quick rundown of my "must have" titles.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter/2 - Was basically a launch game over here and proved the console was worthy of some truly next-gen graphics. Unreal single player and large multiplayer following.

Dead Rising - Zombies+Mall+Mayhem. Sure it has it's flaws but it's an extremely innovative game that is a hell of a lot of fun.

Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis - Yeah its table tennis, but its a cheap game that is a hell of a lot of fun when you get a couple of good players together.

Test Drive Unlimited - Best racing game on the console, period. Free roam environment (the whole of Hawaii), excellent cars and some really difficult missions.

Rainbow Six: Vegas - Another game that has pushed the console graphically. Tonnes of fun and has a pretty good multiplayer following at the moment.

Viva Pinata - Kid's game. You breed and raise pinata animals. Sounds stupid? Yes. Truth is it's addictive as hell.

Gears of War - The 360's current showcase. Graphically one of the most spectacular games ever. Single player campaign is extremely solid (albeit a bit short) and multiplayer kicks ass. Seeing a game of this caliber in the 2nd generation of games is proof to me the 360 has some serious power, and will only get better in the future.

Honorable mentions go to Oblivion, Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned and Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

That's all I can think of right now. There's some massive blockbusters coming in the next few months, keep an eye out for Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and Forza 2 before the middle of the year. And watch out for Xbox Live Arcade releases of Worms HD, Ikaruga and Castlevania.

And the best part is there's much more to come. IMO it's gonna be a great year to own an Xbox 360.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm also leaning towards the 360 because it has over 150 games in its catalogue while the PS3 has only 40. The 360's online service - XBOX Live - is far more superior with its seamless integration with all your games while Sony's PSN has had a year to get it right and its nowhere near as good as Live and if you're complaining about paying $80 a year for Live I suggest weighting up the pros and cons of Live and PSN and for $80 a year Live is definitely worth it, and as the old saying goes "You get what your pay for" so just because PSN is free doesn't mean it's great, the money to keep the servers going/upgrades have to come from somewhere.

There isn't much content on Sony's online store, or not enough to be interesting while Live has arcade, themes, gamerpics, videos, demos, full TV episodes and movies and soon IPTV.

If you think blu-ray is the best thing in the console then think again. Since developers are making their games on multiple platforms everything has to be set to the lowest common denominator or common baselines. DVDs are the baseline so having the extra space is pretty much null-in-void because the PS3's blu-ray drive is set for life at 2x while the 360's DVD is set to max 12x. Developers have said that transfer speeds are more important than storage space and developers have to create duplicate data in order to reduce load times....but it still loads slower than the 360. You only get minor things like multiple language support (at this point only text based like menus, HUDs and what not). So there's no real end-user value in having games on blu-ray.

Also TV support. Sure the PS3 has HDMI but you'd need a TV that supports 1080p to watch BD movies as if your TV didn't support 1080p it will get bumped to 1080i or SD: no 720p thanks to the lack of a HW scaler. The 360 has a scaler which means developers don't need to worry about having reduced framerates during gameplay when at higher resolutions. The 360 is yet to have HDMI and I say 'yet'.

Overall, the 360 just has more going for it with more games - both disc-based and online via arcade - and even better Live features such as cross-platform play with PC gamers....can the PS3 do that? HELL NO! I can't wait to play Shadowrun. PS3 is just being left behind in this department and if they want it to be more competitive then they really need to fix it and fix it NOW.

VERDICT: Get a 360.

7. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

When you consider the specs, there's little difference between the two consoles. The 360 has a slight memory and graphics chip advantage but the PS3 concievably has a cpu advantage (although being asynchronous has purportedly been a disadvantage).

I believe purchasing a console based on its 'potential' is a really silly thing to do. Buy the one that has the games you wanna play on it right now! Although Gran turismo is the only one I'd make an exception for waiting, but I love that series and even it wouldnt make me buy a ps3.

The thing is, sony threw away their lead and they wont be getting it back again with their ps3 for so many reasons. It'll probably do well as a console but because of that, you can bet you wont be seeing the same sort of exclusives that you did on ps2.

So either of the 360 or Ps3 will probably find plenty of good games and the hardware differences between the two are pretty negligible.

The decision from a hardware front would boil down to this for me:

-If bluray and digital video outputs are important, only ps3 has that so its your pick
    -If a good online experience is what you want then you simply cannot go past the xbox 360. Plus its a bit cheaper while still offering lots of high quality games.

8. OP
    OP
    nübs

nübs Member

Cheers for the good replies, guys :thumbup:

I was very curious about both the hardware and titles- I did have a quick look at the threads for PS3s and 360s- but they were sooo long, and didn't really address my question.

The posts that have been made here have reinforced my own opinion, and for me it just has to be the 360. The benefits of the PS3 as described just aren't relevant to me. I'm now really excited about getting a 360! Ive just had a look at the Bill Gate's product site, and my wish list of accessories is far from brief. Oh well- you earn money so that you can spend it, I guess.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I just think that there's no justifiable reason(s) to spend $1000 AUD on a console when there's another console that does the same if not better level of graphics for about half the price. I have a PS3 (which was about $780 AUD at the time) and I think it's ok and not great.

10. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Have a look at the game desucssionewghejrhk thread, the very first post has all the Xbox360 games. Thats reason enough to get a 360 over a PS3 right now.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm practically struggling to pick what games to get for the PS3 because it lacks a lot of games to pick from. I don't have that problem with the 360.

12. mortal

mortal Member

Xbox 360 also has 1080p over component.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

True, there's no real technical reason why that can't happen but the TV itself has to support it over component. It can also do it over VGA so no problems.

14. mortal

mortal Member

Yeah I have no need for HDMI, or even 1080p, my TV can only support up to 1080i. The only thing I want is the 120gb HDD, but I'm not sure if I would be able to replace it with the 20gb.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'll wait for more news on the HDD.

16. stuffisgood

stuffisgood Member

Sure you'll be able to, the thing just clips out - haven't you ever tried removing it "just for fun"?

17. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

For my money it's going to be: wait for PS3. No, not buy it in March but probably end of this year/next year. Sure the launch games aren't too crash hot but that's normal for launch games. What did the 360 launch with? Apart from GRAW it was pretty uninspiring. And if you argue that the launch PS3 games look similar to 360 games compare launch 360 games to GoW and Vegas. Once devs get to grips with the PS3's complex architecture there'll be some very good looking games indeed.

If you look at the games in development for PS3 it's here it gets my vote. Whilst the PS2 has always (except for against Dreamcast) been the hardware underdog, it's the games where it shines. The same will be true for PS3.

It's all about the games people, and not all of them will be cross platform. If Wipeout 5 comes out for 360 I'll eat my hat.

18. caudex

caudex Member

just get the console that will have the games you want to play. If you like MGS, GT, ratchet+clank, jak+daxter, singstar, FF series, and many other titles, then get a ps3.

The reason i didn't get a 360 was because i have a pretty high spec computer which i play all my multiplatform games on, so basically i will be able to play almost all the upcoming high profile 360 games as most of them are heading to the PC as well. Gears of War has been annouced by an Epic developer that it will go to the PC, bioshock, Graw1/2, and many others are on PC aswell and its also cheaper then getting the console version. :Pirate:

So at the end of the day, get the console that has the games you want to play.

19. stuffisgood

stuffisgood Member

Exactly - and the PS3 has zip-to-none games at the moment. The OP seems to want to play good games now, not in 12-18 months time. And the exclusivity thing runs both ways my friend, Microsoft Game Studios has acquired quite a few developers over the years so there's going to be a lot of first party stuff that you won't see on the PS3. 3rd party dev's can and will go where the install base is.

And don't bet on a future Wipeout (if there is one) being exclusive. I seem to recall a Wipeout64 in the past, it's developers aren't entirely Sony exclusive.

20. helpmehelpyou

helpmehelpyou Member

If you're really getting a console this year then the 360/wii is hard to past by, however 2008 will definitely be PS3's, with most of the big name titles expected to come out then.