PS4 battery intial charge

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Mrdsol, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Mrdsol

Mrdsol Member

Hey guys, super noob here. So be gentle.

So I had read up on the extended internal batteries you could fit in a PS4 controller for x3 / x4 times its life.
    Pretty cool huh!? Yeah absolutely considering my wife never puts the f**ker on charge and the only time i get to play, its flat! Yes! I own two controllers.... Both dead. All the damn time.

Anyways, so i bought these PKcell batteries that everyone had been replacing the stock battery with. (Yes I bought with changed polarity! and checked it myself). All is good! For one...
    So yeah one has been absolutely flawless. The other will not charge at all, someone mentioned maybe the voltage had dropped too low and the usb charging couldn't bump it back up to restore the life....

Here's the question, could i possibly use my multi battery RC charger to bring it up to spec to charge it?
    Any battery experts out there? Obviously haven't even tried it considering the safety side of things with these types of batteries.

So yeahhhhh in the meantime we have great "playtime" on the controller that works, only still the wife never plugs it in to charge.... Leaving me with a 15cm cord playing on a 80" TV, I feel like a little kid again (Mum: Do you have to sit so close? You'll get square eyes!)

2. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Get a replacement wife ;)

3. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Was thinking more like not changing her batteries when they go flat... ;) Would almost be just as frustrating, right?

Anyway, First Rule of Battery Club - get yourself a multimeter so you can actually measure what volts the batteries are down to, because if they're down Beyond The Point Of No Return then mucking about with them on other charging systems might be worthless.

Would also be handy for a quick poke around on the charging terminals in the controller to see if the charging "stuff" in that is still trying to do it's job, because if the battery has died Dead Dead Dead it can also lead to dead charging "stuff" elsewhere in the equation.

On saying this though, if your controller does the right voltage/charge current settings for those replacement cells you could try a quick kick-start to get the battery state above minimum only, then recharge it the rest of the way back up in the controller and see if they'll recover.

If it does then deliberately do some full Charge/Discharge cycles to make sure the battery still has some usable life left in it.

But I wouldn't advise you to go ahead with all this until until you follow First Rule of Battery Club. If the battery is near zero volts then trying to charge it may result in more than tears.

4. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Ha! Easier said than done! :)

5. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Well, it's either all that or he buys new batteries and trains the Missus to plug the damned controller in when she's finished.

Yeah, I know - another Easier Said Than Done... :rolleyes:

6. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Lol, sorry merlin, I should have quoted ipv6's comment. Yours is doable, ipv6's, yeah well......

7. power

power Member

have a long cable or two around (seriously $2-5 on ebay quit moaning), they will also charge off a decent phone charger. In a particularly long session i'll just plug into a phone charger that's close to my couch and let it charge during play for about an hour and i'm all good to go again wireless.

seriously though, stop blaming your wife - just make sure your shit is plugged in. Get a dock or something so that your controllers get put away somewhere they can charge while you aren't using them - get your shit together man.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Other trick for the OP is once he sorts out the bat flattery problem and if he still can't train his Missus (let's not go there... again...) then acquire some USB powerpack chargers, if he doesn't want to be tethered on a leash.

Or simply find a long cable and remove the battery out of her controller... :D