PS5 Update: Launches "Holiday 2020"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Uchuujin-san, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Drizz06 likes this.
  2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Haptic feedback and adaptable resistance triggers sounds awesome!

neopheX and Uchuujin-san like this.
  3. neopheX

neopheX Member

And yet again we will see 30fps as the standard just wait and see lol.

Hope to be wrong but i lost hope a long time ago on that front when it comes to consoles.

So it sounds like their hardware specs must be finalized for the PS5, and production might start in what 9-10 months? They must be pretty confident if that is the case. Either way looking forward to buying it and hopefully we see a actual big generation jump in performance and it isn't just based around "loading times" as their focal selling point.

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Heres hoping these rumors aren't true, this could be another PS3 if they are....

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Heh, I came in here to rant about how useless haptic feedback and adaptable resistance triggers was. :lol:

Right now, the cheapest PS4 first-party Sony controllers I can buy new are around $80. Third party controllers suck. Second hand controllers are always treated like dirt by ham fisted gamers (seriously, go to Japan and check out their second hand market - Aussies are animals).

What do these new controller features bring? How many games will use the features? How many games use current controller features outside of standard "push button to do thing" mechanics well? How many games require all-analogue face buttons, or vibration, or any other gimmicky feature? First thing I do in games is turn off all vibration and motion controls.

I genuinely wonder, because what this means is we'll see controllers jump in price again. PS2 era controllers set you back around $40 new back in the day. PS3 $60 new. PS4 $80 new. We're heading to an era of $100 controllers because of complexity and gimmickery, and I can't see any benefit to the actual point of a controller, which is seamlessly interacting with my game and delivering a better input experience.

I think it's time we sold haptic feedback devices separately. Anyone remember the Rez Vibrator?

But seriously, please change my mind - what am I missing here about haptic feedback, outside of it being a gimmick? How will it make my games better? Are we expecting it to be a "must have" for Triple-A titles on PS5?

7 minutes. I'm sorry, but this could have been bullet points, so I skipped through. If I missed something, tell me what I missed.

All I heard was some dude was retiring. In a company of 114,000 employees, this is not an issue. This is normal staff attrition.

Sony are solid. Insanely so, across all of their divisions. In the last year I've dealt with the company directly in a number of ways (*VERY* directly, and all under NDA, so no I can't tell you where and how), and I've never seen them stronger.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. elvis

EGitavKWoAoB21s.jpg

So IGN is a steaming sack of turd, but their recent poll suggests adaptive triggers / haptic feedback aren't that interesting to most.

I have to agree, zero fucks given here. I'm more interested in just general hardware speedups ("ray tracing" is not proper ray tracing, but the tech boost is welcome all the same), and speedy NVMe is nice. Backwards compatibility is a welcome change compared to Sony's offerings of late.

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Can't spell ignorant without IGN :lol:

Backward compatibility stands out to me as the feature everyone wants but hardly anyone uses. I've used it on the Xbone once to play RDR for like 2 hours and never touched it again after that, I've found most of my friend group and even extended friend group to be the same...

elvis likes this.
  8. elvis

Can't disagree with that. :)

My friendship group is the polar opposite. We play a lot of old games. (But we're all old farts).

No idea what the average is. I'd love to see real stats direct from Microsoft.

Dilbery likes this.
  9. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

I still find backward compatibility to be completely pointless. Why bother buying a new console to play old games on it?

It's cheaper to then just buy the old console and play all the old games there and get a new console later when it actually contains games you want to play on it.

10. flain

flain Member

I generally turn the rumble feature off as it tends to chew the controller battery and doesn’t add much to gameplay (in some cases it’s just down right annoying when a game overuses it).

Backwards compatibility is one of those things I do value. I don’t want to have to rebuy my old games just for the “ps5” version.

11. midonnay

midonnay Member

HD rumble is one reason why nintendo's joycons are so ridiculously expensive.

Not looking forward to paying 100+ bucks for sony controllers too.

elvis likes this.
  12. elvis

This.

Does everyone remember Nintendo's press release where they said they could use "HD rumble" and haptic feedback to make a Joy-Con controller feel almost anything, including like a glass of water with ice cubes clinking around in it?

How many games have used it? How many games are improved by it? 2.5 years on, and I haven't seen a single one worth mentioning.

If changes are going to be made to controllers, they need to bring real benefits to games. Optionally, give us first party controllers with all the marketing crap stripped out at half the price. Call them "elite" versus "basic" controllers or whatever you like. But the sales will speak for themselves, I'm certain. But this need to appear like progress is made by adding things of no benefit to games that just increase prices is really stupid.

midonnay likes this.
  13. elvis

Four reasons that come to mind

* You missed a previous gen game (as much as we'd like to play them all, we can't), and want to play it without investing in the old technology needed to run it
    * You didn't have the N-1 console, bought the N console, want to try out the best bits of the back catalogue
    * You weren't born when the old games came out (People born on PS1 release are 25 this year. People born on XBox OG release date can vote and buy booze this year).
    * You want to study an old game for historical/journalistic/development reasons (so many developers could learn from games history to avoid making the same mistakes old games did)

When people ask questions like these, I like to substitute other art and technology forms in to test the validity of the question. Let's try some:

* Why bother building a new museum to put old art in it?
    * Why bother buying a new music player to play old music on it?
    * Why bother buying a new phone to contact old friends on it?
    * Why bother buying a new TV to watch old movies on it?
    * Why bother buying a new garage to put an old car in it?

Things don't stop becoming valid the year after their release. Lots of reasons to (re)visit old things.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:36 AM
  14. elvis

Here comes the PS5 marketing team's version:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/371200/ps5-launches-holiday-2020-with-haptic-feedback-controllers

""" Sony has confirmed that the rumble technology we've become so used to in PlayStation controllers is being replaced with haptic feedback. By doing this, Sony explains, "you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud." """

My prediction: zero games will feel like real mud, tackles, fields or car crashes. Zero games will be enhanced by this technology. First party controllers will cost $100 instead of the current $80 for PS4, $60 for PS3, $40 for PS2.

15. power

power Member

i love love love back compat, it makes my old games shinier! Also allows me to have less boxes - which really is a great thing without the compromises that can come from emulating, etc. Real back compat like what the PS2/3, XB1, Wii and Wii U do are all very very welcome in my world. I will most likely put my PS4 away when PS5 comes out and use that as my ultimate PS (for these two generations at least). Replaying old console games spruced up is even better (XB1 back compat ftw here).

force (and haptic) feedback, meh i'm either way on it. I do appreciate when it's good and i'm partial to a nice premium controller (Sony make a first party elite style controller please!), the touchpad will probably have to stay for back compat (unless they allow old controllers to be cross compatible) and i hope they keep the little speaker and light.

Can't wait for the quicker storage though - hoping Sony keep their consumer friendly stance and give us supported storage upgrade path unlike Microsoft. Will be interesting as I believe the main SSD will be surface mounted, which could be very very bad overall. I can see why the company would want it, but it will make that higher storage SKU much more desirable. External drives are a solution, but not one i'm a huge fan of. Pretty chuffed that they will keep the BRD, there's no two ways if they want full back compat i believe this is a requirement. How they handle storage SKU's is my biggest concern tbh. That and noise. They need to look over the fence and take a leaf out of the XBox One's cooling solutions, seriously good stuff and from what i can tell a much more reliable piece of HW.

16. elvis

Would be great if they could do basic tiering. Onboard NVMe for day to day stuff, user attached USB3 stuff for second teir / warm storage, automatically migrating data between the two.

I mean, I know it'll never happen, because that's just too useful. But it would be nice. The whole manual backup to external drive thing is just tedious and old fashioned.

17. power

power Member

I'm more concerned about the storage failing, a failed built in storage device (yes i know they'll be reliable) will brick the device.

PS3/PS4 storage fails, np just drop a new drive in and reload - same for upgrading the drive (this is a big one for anyone who doesn't want to be limited by the measly 500gb or 1tb standard consoles). The ability to backup and restore to the console is also very welcome despite being old fashioned (and let's not forget it just works).

get back to me when you try to do any of this on an xbox one - oh and it has to be a supported action by MS not a workaround/hack.

elvis likes this.
  18. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

At least with the "hack" method in 20 years time you can still hack a drive into the system and make it work. Try doing that with surface mounted storage - although it "should" be more reliable then spinning rust

19. power

power Member

i think you took the wrong thing away from my post, i can guarantee MS will follow Sony to surface mount if it becomes a thing - they are super ready to turn the xbox into a gamepass machine.

20. OP
    OP
    Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

I was actually pretty surprised to find that not only did it not void warranty to replace the ps4 hdd but it was so easy you didnt even have to open the chasis. Honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if the internal memory becomed soldered on in the PS5. I don't know how much of a difference it'll make to surface mount a chip/s vs an nvme slot then have to populate it with a hdd. But if thers even a slight savings, multiply that out by millions, and it's a big chunk of change, especially when consoles at launch are generally a loss leader. And that's on top of being boned if it fails or just wears out over time. Nothing to do but hold out hope that it'll be user replacable like ps3/4 i guess.