PS5 Update: Launches "Holiday 2020"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Uchuujin-san, Oct 8, 2019.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've got the same style dock of the PS4 (also official). Works really well and easier habit to get into just placing them on that when finished playing (and less likely the kids will break a mini usb cable or the port). Hopefully controllers are USB-C ports so i'll give that a quick search as i didnt see in the pics

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Shame. I figured it wouldn't be a priority since it's about the new games, and i'm not gonna lie that another Rachet & Clank, Spiderman and Horizon make me rather excited. It'd be nice to be able to play the PS4 versions of each on the console before leaping into the new ones so fingers crossed

3. power

power Member

they are USB-C

elvis and jpw007 like this.
  4. simontifik

simontifik Member

Think the console looks pretty cool. It’s got a futuristic sandwich vibe about it.

Bit disappointed with the games though. Mostly sequels to current franchises. I’m not a fan of Sony’s current first party games, doesn’t look like there’ll be anything at this stage that’s worth buying a PS5 for.

5. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

BOOOOOOOOO! HISSSSSSSSSSSS!

Bring back the design that looked like a router, a Star Wars set and a CD rack in one device.
    It looked good, unlike an alienware PC tower.

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Just came back to say i saw a pic of it horizontally and it looks good and practical (it uses a stand...i wonder if somehow same as the vert one?) and then saw i missed this post that already showed it

So...thanks, i'm blind and it looks good.

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

I thought that was a pretty awesome reveal and we haven't even seen what PSVR 2 will offer!

Highlights for me were:

GT7
    Horizon 2
    Spider Man
    Project Athia
    Kena
    Ghostwire Tokyo
    Little Devil Inside
    Bugsnax
    Deathloop

I like the box aesthetics, the white/black/blue works for my brain. Matches PSVR too - keen to see if that will work out of the box.

Huh.

8. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I've regretted my white PS4 all along. Stands out next to all black equipment. Really hope there's a black version.

Hoping GT7 is a launch title and not just 'coming' to PS5.

clonex likes this.
  9. power

power Member

i'll be disappointed if Poliphony don't delay by at least 2.5 years and release a Prologue after 2.

10. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Really enjoyed the show! GTA5 part was crap but other then that I’m very happy!
    Cannot wait for the return of a proper GT game and super stoked for HZD2 and Resi8.

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Size approximation.

IMG_20200613_082123.jpg

12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

People keep leaving the important yardstick of oversized consoles out of the comparison.
    The original Xbox.

Also, Why is the discless one called a digital edition?

As a developer of digital optical discs since at least the early 80’s I am sure Sony knows that CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays are all digital media...

If it had a cassette tape I wouldn’t call it the digital edition, but it doesn’t.

Both are digital, so the name, and concept are stupid.

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

Came here to post that, HOLY SHIT IT'S ENORMOUS.

Just like MS over compensated for red ring by making the Xbox One cavernous it seems Sony are tired of the 'jet-engine noise' reputation that the PS4 (and Pro) got this gen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Oh bugger, that may not fit where my PS4 Pro is :(

15. simontifik

simontifik Member

It must have fans/vents on both the top and bottom. Only reason I can think of as to why it needs the little stand while on its side.

16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

It doesn't have flat sides

simontifik likes this.
  17. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I’d rather it be big and run quieter.
    The noise the PS4 Pro makes is ridiculous.

18. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

What's stupid about the concept? I for one like the idea of a console without an optical drive. I can't remember the last time I had to actually put a disc in a drive, PC or console.

A couple of years ago my sister gave my son (2 at the time) an Octonauts DVD for Christmas. By the time I'd got the PS3 to update its firmware, and then the DVD player firmware, he'd dialled up the episode on YouTube on my phone and watched the whole thing :rolleyes:

19. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

I'm kinda surprised it's worth their while to have a discless SKU, how much would a Blu-ray drive really cost? Or is it more the "get those customers into our online infrastructure" motivation? Would be interested to see the cost difference to the consumer.
    Because "discless" sounds like you're losing something and "online" might scare people into thinking "oh no what if my internet goes out?". Whereas "digital" sounds all high tech and importantly it isn't lying, I mean that is a digital console....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    jpw007 likes this.
  20. The Beast

The Beast Member

An ultra BR drive probably only adds about $20 USD to the bill of materials. I suspect the price difference to the consumer will be $50 to $100 USD.

There is a theory, which I subscribe to, that Sony will take a loss on the Digital Edition because they make so much more when they sell games from their own store vs on disc through brick and mortar retailers. I'd imagine they only need to sell 4 or 5 games to Digital Edition owners before they have made up the loss, everything after that is profit.

jpw007 likes this.