PS5 Update: Launches "Holiday 2020"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Uchuujin-san, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Interesting... though if that was straight out of the box maybe needed a little time for the thermal liquid to get set? dunno much about their TIM apart from them using some unique solution. Glad I got a launch model. The PS5 is a major dust magnet, my house has timber floors which are almost vacuumed every day and it had dust bunnies in the fins. I've give it a blow out with the air compressor next weekend and see how much shakes loose!

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Definitely not a paste thing, just less physical cooling capability. I'm sure it will be fine, the first run is probably just a bit over done on the cooling solution (that said, I'm happy to have the overbuilt variant over the just enough variant)

Trizae and Sledge like this.
  3. Trizae

Trizae Member

This. They most likely overengineered before everything was taped out with the silicon, then adjusted for their BOM later on that 300grams and less copper and aluminium will save them a f*ckton in shipping and costs going forward.

I'm fine with my portly launch quiet beast though :D

Raptor_Eye likes this.
  4. Trizae

Trizae Member

5. Trizae

Trizae Member

lol those new PS5 VRM temps :lol:

*cuddles portly launch day PS5*

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

TLDW: Who cares which console you get.

7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Generic heads up. If you're playing Quake on PlayStation back your save up frequently. Seems there is an issue where you hit a 'limit' in a single play session from frequent saving that will catastrophically corrupt your save. Game just stops mid-save and mangles your save data.

I'm fortunate as I just finished the main campaign on nightmare and was two levels into the expansion when it shat the bed. Others it seems have not been as lucky.

8. Trizae

Trizae Member

Was this on 5? What about your automatic save data backup from ps+?

9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Yeah, but 5 is running back compat currently so the issue affects ps4/5. Save restore worked but as I finished the main campaign it wasn't a big deal. The saves don't roll/share across campaigns.

I'm tempted just to delete all save data and start again with the expansion. Nightmare just means a lot of saving due your miniscule health pool.

Trizae likes this.
  10. Trizae

Trizae Member

Sucks they haven’t caught this bug yet would be extremely annoying especially for new comers or trophy hunters

11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Patch today indicates it addresses this issue. Definitely needed since the new expansion levels are large compared to the base game (200 monsters versus 50-60). Doesn't look like it adds any PS5 specific stuff like haptic trigger support though which they indicated they were going to add in.

Trizae likes this.
  12. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Quake got it's PS5 update; 120fps and haptic trigger support. I can't use it because the saves don't work across versions and it creates new trophy data. I'm really not a fan of how so manage their version control versus the Xbox.

I'm on to the last expansion so I've got no incentive to try it and will keep going under the PS4 version. Maybe I'll revisit it one day when I'm bored for another easy platinum.

Trizae likes this.
  13. Trizae

Trizae Member

Dude this is awesome! I have it on pc but wanted the ps5 port to do the thing play with mates and go for the plat glad they included 120fps and haptics so consider this bought, how are you going for your playthrough you close to the plat?

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Only got one episode to go so maybe 3-4 trophies until Plat? Apart from the 60 vs. 120 and the haptic there isn't any other version differences. They've enable mouse/keyboard support (on all consoles) but I haven't tested that either as I'm rigid with my complete on nightmare with a controller rule. It does have cross platform anyway so you can always play with others in a private lobby.

Trizae likes this.
  15. Trizae

Trizae Member

didn't it have mouse keyboard support from launch? Are you more of a console controller player and still doing well on console? I'm ok but I want to be better to play with mates when i play cod etc destroy on pc on console I feel i'm fighting the controls if they don't have gyro support compared to mouse and keyboard

added you on steam and psn btw

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm a M/KB player at heart for FPS'. I've got it on Steam but I thought it would be a fun experiment to see if I can do it with a controller as I like a feasible challenge. The gyro aiming took some getting used to but works well in some situations, but even with the sensivity jacked up it's still sluggish unless you really throw the gestures around. I had it off initially but though it'd be another good learning experience as well so I turned it back on. There is a hell of a lot of options for controls now with lots of remapping options as well as acceleration and deadzone settings. I removed the deadzone on the left analogue stick to get it more to behave in a responsive WASD manner.

M/KB for Switch/Xbox/PS was only added in the patch prior to this which also addressed the stupid save corruption bug too.