PSVR

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by elcarter1, Feb 8, 2018.

1. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Mate that's not much of a gamer brought a set. He was raving about it and I was pretty adamant that I'd jump on he next gen as it felt like a bit of a gimmick.

I was pretty happy (drunk) but had a real gaming moment, moments that are far and few between.

I've got a few second hand options and I'm pretty much just on the edge of going for it.

Anyone that's got it that can advise if it's a bit of a novelty that's not used anymore?

2. xentar

xentar Member

If you use it enough to get acclimated and avoid the vr sickness that the games with lots of movement etc can elicit (I cant do 6 degrees of freedom games for the most part because I don't play enough), there are some pretty popular multiplayer games. I quite enjoy puzzle, rhythm and driving games solo or an occasional social outing? with Sports Bar VR or Carnival Games.

That said my main use is because it outputs to tv so everyone can watch which makes for some really entertaining nights with a friend or small group. Fantastic reactions from Rush of Blood or RE7 and other horror titles, panic and frustration from escape room type games like I Expect You to Die and Dying reborn or satisfaction when working out puzzle games like Statik and Tumble VR really do make for a unique experience. That's not taking into account the huge wow factor when using VR the first few times or in a new way just blows everyone away.

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I had one briefly and tried Gran Turismo and Skyrim on it. The tracking is amazing. Very high immersion factor. Sitting in the driver seat you really do feel like you're there and you can look around to see everything. However I couldn't get past the motion sickness. Soon as the car takes off, you feel like you're swaying with the car because it's that immersive. But because your body isn't moving, your brain gets confuse. Couldn't even make it to a single race lol. Skyrim or anything that allows you to move around would be fantastic if you actually have the space to walk around. It actually is pretty cool. Downside is again motion sickness kicks in quickly for me since I don't have the space to move around freely and on top of which the visors are tethered to the console so it's a bit hard to just walk around anyway. As far as value goes, PSVR is one of the cheapest option of getting your VR feet wet. Only draw back is the resolution is also one of the lowest. I sold mine and bought a set of Microsoft Mixed Reality headset, which is basically VR for PC. Same as VIVE or Rift. The reason for that is I want to try doing more with it. Being on PS is restrictive as you only have games to use it on. With PC you can do all kinds of cool things with VR like sculpting, modelling etc. So it has more utilities. I got my PSVR fairly cheap. Around $350 with camera and 2 games. There was a special going on during Xmas. Sold it for $300 on the forum and got the MS headset for $300 off Gumtree. :D If you look around should be able to get the PSVR fairly cheap.

4. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Ive had mine since launch and its great.

Everyone ive put in it has been amazed

I have a couple of friends who have Vive's and we have found with most games the experience is the same (but the PSVR isnt $1000)

The only issue I have found compared to the Vive, is the tracking can sometimes not be as good. An example of this was SuperHot (which you have to get for VR, its awesome), If I lifted my arms up, sometimes it would lose tracking. I worked out this was probably be because of how close I was to the camera, and moving back solves it.

The problem I do have it having time to sit down and play, but then that goes with all gaming :). If you can have it setup and connected to the PS4 at all times, then it takes the same amount of time to launch a VR games as any other game

5. xentar

xentar Member

Yeah. I hear the ps4 has only limited support for vrpron...

You can use the psvr headset on pc with minimal fuss (just change the way you're running the hdmi cables) and play some steam vr or one of the thousands of patreon fueled vr games/experiences. The FoV will be slightly narrower and this wont work (well) for things designed with 3 camera tracking and movement beyond head tracking or the better designed controls that you get with a vive. Still, you are able to get a feel for the computer vr scene although no walking around or groping your waifu with this setup ;).

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Wow, unnecessarily trolling much?

7. xentar

xentar Member

Yeah my bad. I may have taken the silly joke too far. Sorry.
    tldr of previous post: You can use psvr with pc; limited functionality. Bad humour.