1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Publishing photo books or calendars

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by mpot, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mpot

mpot Member

Has anyone ever tried publishing anything via Lulu?

They allow publishing of paperback books, hardcover books, calendars, cds and dvds.

You upload the content to be published, specify cover artwork, binding details, etc, and specify a price.
    You can then allow your published work to be sold by Lulu, and they print each product as it is ordered.
    Lulu gets 20% of the profit, and you get 80% of the profit.

It might be interesting to look at getting an OCAU photo book published, or an OCAU photography calendar featuring photos from the monthly Iron Photography competitions...
    (and sell it at cost, or for a small profit, and donate the profit to a selected charity)

Have a look at the Lulu website for more details, and browse through published items available through Lulu.

Cheers,
    Martin.

2. Boney

Boney Member

I have used Momento to print photos from a trip to Europe. Overall I'm fairly happy with the result. Laying out the pages is a fair bit of work, but they were printed exactly as I had layed them out. Print quality is ok. I would say that the pages of the book are on par with the cover of a magazine in terms of print quality. The book and binding was very well done. If interested you can see how I layed out my book here: http://www.momento.com.au/preview.asp?b=8683-3468-1769&p_id=0

3. l00b3r

l00b3r (Banned or Deleted)

do you lose rights to your photos though!?

-Matt

4. OP
    OP
    mpot

mpot Member

According to Lulu's terms & conditions:
    I read that as saying that you won't lose rights to your photos, but Lulu can re-use / re-distribute the photos in any way they want to, royalty-free.

Edit: found some more info:

From a FAQ on the Lulu forums:
    To see the quality of a printed book, see this page for photos.

Cheers,
    Martin.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  5. The_Scroop

The_Scroop Member

Seems interesting I may be interested in getting a book made for myself.

Who are some other companies who do this type of thing?

Momento seems very expensive at $80 plus $1 for every page. Am I correct saying this?

thanks
    T.S.

6. OP
    OP
    mpot

mpot Member

I'm certainly interested in getting something printed at lulu.com - it's not particularly expensive, and the printed quality looks very good.

Cheers,
    Martin.

7. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

mpot - did you end up getting anything done with lulu? how did it go if u did?

8. OP
    OP
    mpot

mpot Member

Not yet....it's on my to-do list ;-)

Cheers,
    Martin.

9. encode

encode Member

Anyone tried Lulu yet?

I tried the blurb.com software this week, but I haven't been able to get the book to upload, so I have no idea of final quality.

10. Kerridwyn

Kerridwyn Member

Google "Web Album Maker"

Its a program I use, hey are reasonable in there costings

11. encode

encode Member

I managed to get the blurb book upload to work (uploaded it from work ;) )

I'll post my impressions when I finally get it. It's estimated date for shipping is 11 May. Annoyingly, their two international post options are either expensive or real expensive.

12. Lt. Sniper

Lt. Sniper Member

Im doing my book up in InDesign CS2, Photoshop CS2 and Acrobat Pro 6 and uploading to Lulu. So far my 50 page book is looking to be a 450-500meg PDF!
    Make sure you follow lulu's guide for bleeding edges etc. Lulu gives you complete control. They also allow for FTP upload direct to your account. Lulu is also cheaper, but they dont do a landscape hardcover book.

I did a demo book in the Blurb software but found it very restrictive on placing text. If you want to print a softcover photobook then go with lulu, otherwise blurb does a great landscape hardcover (better as a coffee table book). $10 to remove the Blurb logo, what a *&^!##@. Blurb also does a much lower DPI print. Lulu prints at 300DPI.

Sorry, my post is a bit incoherent to read.

13. encode

encode Member

Blurb does less than 300DPI? Bummer. I guess that explains the low cost and the small upload. 58MB of photos turned out to be 18.4MB including all the layout info when uploaded.

14. binadms

binadms (Banned or Deleted)

have anyone tried Asukabook?

15. andrew7

andrew7 Member

Have been looking at those lately. They seem like a another step up in quality to the momento books. Probably going to order a display one soon will let you know how it goes.

16. -spam-

-spam- Member

I looked into them, downloaded a few of their templates and am having a bit of a play around with layouts. From people i have spoken to, it seems that they are the ones to go with for wedding albums and such. :thumbup:

17. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

So besides lulu, who can make books from pdf form?

I wonder if printers like Snap Printing also provide, or outsource this type of work... I wonder if it'd be cheaper.

18. ehor

ehor Member

Bringing this up from the dead.

So has anyone received a book from lulu yet?

19. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

I've done two through Lulu

I've printed two photo books through Lulu. The quality is not top-notch, and we photographer types will complain about it, but nobody who received the books (family photos, you see) ever had any problem with it.

Print quality reminded me a little of domestic colour laser printing.

That said, my second book, a year later (which is now almost a year ago) was superior quality to the first, so no doubt they're upgrading things as they go.

All in all, I really can't complain at the price. Blurb seems like the main alternative, but you're looking at around double the cost. I've heard good things from people who've used Blurb, but I haven't made a direct comparison with Lulu.

20. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

In case anyone is wondering, I used Blurb a little while back, and the results were definitely superior to Lulu. Blurb rate their output as "bookshop quality", though I can't say I thought it was quite *that* good. Definitely worth the effort though.

The only issue with Blurb at the moment is that their layout software is riddled with basic user interface bugs, which can be immensely frustrating.