Pulled Beef (or pork, chicken, whatever, I'm not your mum) (Oven-baked method)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Baringa, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Baringa

Baringa Member

pulledbeef1.JPG
    pulledbeef2.JPG

The general premise is you get a dry rub and a piece of meat, and bake it for a long time. You can use any meat you want, and any dry rub mix you want. Here's the basic one I use:

2 tbs paprika (I use smoked, but you can use hot or sweet if you want)
    2 tbs chilli powder
    1 tbs brown sugar
    1 tbs salt
    2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1 tsp teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground thyme
    1/2 tsp ground oregano

So. Get your meat and your dry rub. Oil the meat if it's a dry meat, and then liberally coat the meat in the rub. You'll probably need 3/4 c or so. I've used smaller briskets, and big beef roasts, it doesn't really matter, but around 1.5 - 2kg is good.

Wrap the rubbed meat (*pause for snickering*) in tinfoil. I always do many layers because you want it to be as airtight as possible. So overkill is the name of the tinfoil game. Once your roast is all wrapped in foil, stick it in the fridge for 12 hours or overnight.

The next day, preheat your oven to 110C. Stick the foil-wrapped meat on a baking tray to catch any drips from a sub-par foil wrapping job and bake it in the oven for 6 hours.

You can do what I do as well, which is grab a big whole kūmara or two, wrap them tightly in foil as well and stick them in the oven with the meat for the whole 6 hours. Don't peel them, just let them be themselves in the foil.

After 6 hours, take your goodies out of the oven and let them cool. You can puncture the foil if you like, drain off the juice, and add them back to the pulled meat later, but I never bother, I just shred it all together. You can also let it cool down, and put it in the fridge, shredding it the next day once its cold. You do whatever you want.

You can make your own bbq sauce to mix in with it if you like to make the resulting meat a bit more moist and saucy, I just couldn't be bothered last night.

Serve with whatever you like. With slaw on a bun, with pickles, with macaroni cheese, with a big dollop of tzatziki, whatever you want, you're the master of your own meat.

Try different types of animal, different rub mixes, whatever. My next batch is going to be chicken with jerk marinade to experiment with a wet marinade instead of a dry rub.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Looks good man! Going to try that rub on Saturday!

Baringa likes this.
  3. im late

im late Member

Props to you OP. Gonna try this.

Baringa likes this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm hungry.

Baringa and firey4059 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Baringa

Baringa Member

Let me know what y'all think! We don't have a set up to smoke or bbq, and we're in a fire ban at the moment, so the oven method is a good option for people who might not otherwise try making something like this. :)

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Somebody on here posted a recipe for chimichunga (however you spell it). I tried it, that was really nice, you might want to put that on your list to try sometime.

I've done "roasts" in the slow cooker. That does a good job, too.

I just love the look of that sweet potato, and that corn. Is that from your garden?

Baringa likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Baringa

Baringa Member

The two tiny corn cobs are :lol: The others are from the local market. Not a great corn grower, honestly, next year I'm trying a maize instead.