Pulling zpool out of ESXi freenas to bare freenas

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by blackied, Jul 21, 2017.

1. blackied

blackied Member

Hi All,

I've been gradually setting up a new home file server with the plan of going freenas and a windows VM on an ESXi host. I've just finished copying most of my data over from my old server which used ESXi as well, however my circumstances have changed and I need to leave the old server in still, meaning I don't have an ESXi license for the new server. As the Windows VM isn't crucial, I'm thinking I'll take the new box and just run Freenas directly on it. But I don't want to have to recopy 15tb of data again, particularly given one of the drives on the old server is on the way out.

If I understand ZFS correctly, I should be able to export the pool out of ESXi/Freenas, blow away ESXi, install Freenas, and then just reimport the pool again. Is this correct? Is it likely anything would happen going from a passthrough pool to a bare pool?

2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

AFAIK a pool is a pool is a pool and hence it shouldn't matter, after exporting the pool you just do a "Zpool Import" on its own and it will show you what pools are available for import. If it can't find any or some of the drives involved you may have to enumerate them manually (disk1, disk2, ... DiskN) in the import command. Other than that I can suggest you try the import in read-only mode first and that way if there are any problems it won't try to "fix" them and if that works then you can probably go ahead and import it in the normal manner which should just take a second or two. I don't anticipate you'll have any problems.

3. davros123

davros123 Member

It should work fine.

As long as you had the drives passed through in the correct way to the freenas vm (ie. straigth passthough using a HBA and not some funky raid 0 or vmdk funkiness) then you can simply export the pool and then import it into the same version of freenas on bare metal.

4. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

Thanks for the advice. They were bare metal passthrough so that should be fine.
    As for actually exporting the pool I'm guessing I have to do that from the command line on the box itself?

5. davros123

davros123 Member