1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pump died, boiled, popped off fitting, killed psu

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by havabeer, May 16, 2020.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

Well as you may have gathered from the title bit of a debacle tonight. the old swiss cheese effect got me

Playing some COD:MW. One of the rare times I dont have the afterburner on screen display going.

I hear a weird gurgle sound come from the computer followed by the loud electrical pop and smell. I looked over and one of my fittings has come off the water loop. I quickly turned the power off, grabbed some paper towel and started mopping up.

During this time I could feel just how hot the res and pipe work where. Could barely keep my hand on the res.

Luckily we're on floor boards. Can only imagine my wife's reaction if we still had carpet. She came in and helped me mop up some of the mess.

Dragged the computer into the bathroom to start draining it. Had a look over it, doesn't appear to be any coolant on anything else but the PSU. When I eventually got the PSU out i could just about wring the coolant out of it.

As the title says I think the pump has died, (i did notice some extra vibration just before it went pop) which Has called the coolant to heat/boil, this caused a heap of extra pressure and popped off a fitting.

Pretty sure it was the pump dieing, as there really wasn't that much mess and the res of was still half full when the thing went pop. I would have assumed if the pump was running when a fitting come loose I would have lost a ton of coolant as it sprayed everywhere.

Wont know till I get a new PSU and see what still works. Hopefully the electrical shorting didn't take anything else on the computer with it. Can clearly see the bit that went pop and the scorch mark when I took the PSU apart.

R.I.P my corsair AX1200i

Check your pumps people. Mine was a 2nd hand D5 that id had for like 4 or 5 years. The pipe in the fire ground below was the one the popped off and sprayed the PSU

https://i.imgur.com/e8sOJ28.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/e8sOJ28.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yeowch. Good prompt for people to check their gear. Still, could have been worse, I guess..

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That sucks mate, for sure.

It's weird - we spend so much effort and money making things quiet that when you lose something, the first sign you get is the 'magic smoke'. Costs you even more in the long run.

Buy yourself a pressure-relief end cap and hide it somewhere. I must admit I'm pretty surprised that it over-pressurised first - normally you'd see stuttering and lagging as the CPU/GPU overheat, then thermal shutdown for over-temp?

Regardless, I'm with Agg - could've been a heap worse. I hope the Titans are OK! :thumbup:

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Sheesh. I am a little paranoid about leaving my pc running in my absence because of something like this happening - I am only going to be 200% more paranoid about that now.

Hopefully the rest of your hw survived the ordeal :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

If the PSU was in any other location, or if I had it installes upside down I think it would have survived and I'd say thermals would have taken everything out. But again it's just the culmination of all the holes in the swiss cheese lining up and this happening.

I think it's a testament to the barrow fittings of just how much abuse they can take as i don't think I've open that loop up for like 2 or more years

juzz86 likes this.
  6. anark1

anark1 Member

out of curiosity, ( i have never built a water cooling rig)

with a tube bender and new tube, could a fair few of those joiners be removed to be a cleaner look and less risk of leaks?

not having a go at the install, just curious myself.

7. jekel

jekel Member

Nice pc havabeer, unlucky on the issue :(.......just finished my loop but going to be changing it soon with a few more fittings hope above never happens to me lol........

8. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

Bad news, but lucky all you lost was a pump and a PSU...

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Agreed mate, damn good effort on their part. Hope the cleanup treats you well.

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Does your Pump have the RPM sensor on it? i.e. the 3 pin plug fan header with the yellow wire.
    Mine does the MCW350.

Connect this to the CPU Fan header, so then if the RPM of your pump goes low or to zero then your motherboard will beep and/or turn off the PC depending on BIOS settings.

11. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I thought that too when building first loop D5 draws too much power for CPU header, on my board anyway

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Lot of newer higher end board have dedicated pump headers

13. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Sorry about your bad luck I have dedicated pump header 36w 3A but no warning or anything, just RPM profile I would of thought CPU Temp would of shut it down, after what happened to you, I'll definately try and find some sort of kill switch connected to water temp

14. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

I don't think the pump has the sensor wire. I think it's just straight to Molex with the manual speed dial on the back.

Again it's an older pump and I'm still speculating so until I get some power back to the computer and see what's actually failed.

Might also be a time to down size or look at a different case.

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Just checked, all my old D5s have the single-wire RPM sensor attached alongside the Molex, except one which I cut off myself because I was an idiot.

Like this:

[​IMG]

16. trevor68

trevor68 Member

I've replaced 4 pumps over the years, they generally just die and the first I notice is a 100 degree CPU. I have never been unlucky enough to have a leak. Or need to do more than just throw a new pump in. Weird it blew off a fitting.

17. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Yup, had the same. Not dead pump but windows updates, killed my power states and shut pump down. Sucked and boiled the PETG until it was like a coffee stirrer, clouded me EK plexi block and melted the flow shaper inside the block. After that never used PETG again and do my best to kill updates unless I say so and sitting there. Expensive lessons we learn eh :D

18. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Man.... sorry to hear (and see!) the mess that it's created...

I have some alarms for pump speed and coolant temp in Aquasuite for exactly the same reason. I had a pump stop (just faulty logic) and the heat caused a fitting to leak. Once the coolant gets to about 60C, the PETG softens enough to deform under the pressure of the compression fittings. Hope you get it sorted out without too many hassles.

It's such a tough thing though - even good PSU's can randomly go and take other components out, so don't feel too bad.

19. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Ahh yeah, I was thinking that you had like a 12V Molex for the Pump and a 3-4 pin header with just the RPM sensor or if you have 2 wires for PWM versions. and these go to the 3-4 pin header on the motherboard
    If you only have one cable it's a bit harder, I've never seen one with just that, but there are so many versions of things these days it's possible.

20. mojododo

mojododo Member

Just saw your photos used on scorptec's facebook page, reminded me of this thread!

aeries likes this.