1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pump died, boiled, popped off fitting, killed psu

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by havabeer, May 16, 2020.

1. Radley

Radley Member

I haven't watched all of those videos but did any compare custom loops or are they all AIO? There's no doubt you get the most value from air, but I wouldn't have my 9900K at 5.2 GHz daily driver on air!

2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Valid point, also when it comes to aesthetics you can do much more with Water.
    I was just more or less saying it's better for the average user, i went water and have no regrets, just read some horror stories on here so it got me thinking of a revert.

3. Radley

Radley Member

I just think water is much more fun than air as well. I've had a custom loop for 10 years now and I won't go back anytime soon. I am waiting for my pump to fail anytime now though!

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

CPU-only watercooling makes little sense to me any more - as dies get denser heat transfer gets limited at the surface, so as processors have gotten more power-hungry it's lost some of its shine. Liquid metal makes some difference, especially over the factory garbage - I'll recommend a delid on Intel stuff every day of the week, as it's a monster gain. But put it this way - under my loop, my delidded 7700K at 5GHz maxes out at about 60C. Under 'big air' it's about 73C. Fuck all overall, and well below TJmax in both cases. If you give the CPU its best chance initially (the delid and TIM swapout), the difference between cooling methods is pretty academic.

If I had the room, given the choice between an AiO and something like a Dark Rock, I'd go air every time. Benefit of dumping heat externally (advantage AiO) notwithstanding, the heatsink is easier, quieter and requires less maintenance.

Introduce a GPU into the equation though, and the scales jump back to water. GPUs are where the real benefits of water happen. You can literally halve load temperatures.

argent likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Water cooling is all about, overclocking, low noise and e-peen.

My titans have never seen temps over 55 degrees and are over clocked heavily and thermal throttling is a word coated in white out in the house dictionary.

Half the fun of water cooling is in building and designing the loop, the results are just a bonus. Ive just about got everything ready to rebuild the computer and see what does and doesnt work :Paranoid:

juzz86 likes this.
  6. RaZ

RaZ Member

mm, makes me wonder about the AIO's of which I have two cooler master setups... mmmmm

7. Flat-6

Flat-6 Member

Hey havabeer - Sorry to see your rig leak over that nice PSU and kill it.

I haven't been on here for a while but decided to chime in when I read your post.

Something to consider - One of the things I tend to adhere to for my builds these days is to always try and utilise a dual-pump configuration for my water cooling.

A couple of reasons:
    • Obvious redundancy benefit.
    • Running two pumps in series almost doubles your available pressure/flow. This in turn allows you to run the pumps at much lower RPMs which reduces noise/vibration while still maintaining decent flow rates.
    • Running at lower RPMs has an added benefit in extended pump life as the pumps are not driven as hard.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Next to each other in the loop or eg pump block rad pump rad block?

9. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

well its certainly taken a while but its all back together and running again.

now with a corsair D5. everything seems to be running OK but haven't tried to game yet. i think i may need to remount the CPU block again :upset: or pack it out with something as the spring screws bottomed out when i was doing them up. seems OK and about where it was pre explosion though (50deg)

the new pump is PWM so have set it up on the mobo and is running at 90%, will leave it there until i know most of the bubbles are out which could be awhile as the loop is a bastard to bleed. it has a mass air lock to begin with that was bad enough that the pump couldn't overcome it, had to physically give my loop a blow job on the top fill ports to get enough air out of it for the pump to actually work.

another problem, i went to turn the PSU upside down to hopefully try and avoid this happening again, but the screw mounts on the rear of the case don't line up etc. so i think i'll end up looking for a new case, or at least fill in the hex mesh i installed for the PSU fan.

[​IMG]

h2oxide, argent, jekel and 1 other person like this.