Push > Pull > Push Push etc ???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by mdexter, May 28, 2018.

1. mdexter

mdexter Member

Hi Folks,

Ok just completed a brand new complete build, been three years in the making, machine runs perfect.

The one issue is the fans setup so I have the current in the machine.

- i7-8700k (reports state this things runs hot, its 30-40c on idle 60c when I have speed stepping to up to 4.4ghz)
    - ASRock B360 Gaming k4
    - Corsair H100i V2
    - 5 Fans in total see pic **PLEASE NOTE: This pic is not my PC but just to give you the layout of the fans.

Guys my Question is, is this setup ok or do I need to change something??

- Fan one blowing out the back of case (push)
    - Fan Two and Three blowing up out of the top of the case (push)
    - Fan Four and Five on the inside of RAD blowing through the RAd to outside the front of case (push)

My thinking was to eliminate internal pressure and have all fans extrude hot air, Mobo sits between 20-30c. CPU between 30-40c on Idle and around 60c when the PC is working and speed stepping between 1ghz and 4.4ghz.

BTW I am going to Delid this CPU.

Guys whats your thoughts on my setup and do I need to change anything?

Thanks in Advance

Attached Files:

2. koopz

koopz Member

honestly, it's been years since I used to build high end gaming and rigs - though this part of the testing process was pretty easy when you think about it.

To gauge the airflow in a box you need only attach a thin piece of sewing thread to a needle ( or long thin pointing device ) and view the thread rise and faulter in the flow of air.

The most common problem I saw was overheating motherboard components between the videocard and the northbridge, as so few users installed 120mm fans on the left side cover of their rigs.

mdexter likes this.
  3. josh1990

josh1990 Member

You need intake and exhaust. You want to have your front fans pulling cool air in. Top and rear fans exhaust. You need to promote flow. I have front and bottom in, top and rear out. Slightly more exhaust than intake. This is a negative pressure setup and in theory should be cooler in an air-cooled build. Ideally though, you'd want your rad at the top with fans exhausting.

mdexter likes this.
  4. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yep i’d Have the front fans sucking out side air, and keep all the rest as per that pic.

mdexter likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mdexter

mdexter Member

Can I keep the front fans in the same position and just turn them around to pull air in?

6. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Your temps are fine, stop worrying. What makes you think 60's are "hot"?

Load up Prime95 small fft for 15 minutes, then get back to us with what your ACTUAL load temps can be.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    mdexter likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mdexter

mdexter Member

Thanks guys for your replies, I have gone the intake option for the front and will see what that yields, will run a bench too but the primary focus was getting the configuration right, cheers all

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, most recommendations will suggest you need intakes. Just a couple in front of the pc, as you've now done, are fine. This will probably yield the best results.

mdexter likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    mdexter

mdexter Member

Hi Guys, ok I have done the following mods see pic (I have placed the Radiator fans on the outer side of the case as intakes through the radiator so pushing air in and added one more fan below the radiator pushing air in, so three intakes and three exhausts. Hope this is pretty good, thanks again guys.

Attached Files:

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Perfect :thumbup:.....just as I have mine set up at home :cool:

mdexter likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    mdexter

mdexter Member

Nice Nice, getting the delidded CPU back tonight, will post temps :)

12. OP
    OP
    mdexter

mdexter Member

Ok so still sits around 30ish on idle and around 45-50c when sitting around 4.4ghz so pretty happy.

13. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I'd wager that's more to do with delidding than the position of the fans.

Some reports I've red where rads are involved, advise to have the radiator installed in the front if possible. The issue with rads that use intake from inside the case, is that the air is already warm.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you have your case with the front pointing toward you, the logical direction if you don't want to display your IO and cables and do want to have easier access to power buttons, front IO and USB etc, then its likely you won't want the breeze from the PC blowing toward you. I know I don't. For this reason I have never had a computer exhaust from the front. Its also the reason most cases have filters on the front.. its only logical that it is used as an intake.

Even the air after it has been through a rad is just not that hot. Provided the case is ventilated well, with sufficient exhaust and airflow, front or rad fans can even double as cooling fans for RAM and board if they are close enough. Flowing warm air is better than no airflow at all on both the RAM and board.

The big culprits for case heat are lack of airflow, CPU air coolers, and GPU's with internal fans. If the GPU's and/or CPU are under water, they are a non issue. That leaves you with just airflow.

Positive pressure is best, as it helps prevent the ingress of dust. At the very least, it will dramatically reduce how often you need to clean your filters. Most people tend to only put their filters on intake fans though, there are many other points where dust can get sucked in with negative pressure, and this is actually exacerbated by high airflow in a negative pressure case. Dust traps heat as well of course, apart from being unsightly.

Using a filtered front rad as intake, or just filtered front fans in an aircooled rig, and a rear + top fan exhausting are all that is needed in most rigs. Many fans might look impressive, and the roar of many fans might sound impressive (personally, uggghhh) but they really don't do that much extra to reduce case heat.

So long as the air is moving in and out of the case in a timely fashion, and no hot pockets develop, all is good. If you have internal fans (ie not blower cooling) on GPU's, those are the biggest culprits. Those and and the CPU cooler if you are running only on air. Get decent exhaust fan/s near those, and you are golden.

Last edited: May 30, 2018