putting a ssd into a external caddy

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by xc351, May 8, 2018.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

I have a 480gb ssd from a broken laptop. Is there any issue for me putting this in a usb3 caddy to use as a quick external drive.

I know u can get external ssd's now but not sure if there is any issues going the cheap method

2. Hakka691

Hakka691 Member

No issues.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

nah, no issues with it.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't even buy external caddys as such. I use 2TB 2.5" drives a lot, in ITX systems. Rather than pay a higher price for a stock 2.5" internal Barracuda, I buy a Seagate Essentials external USB drive, and shuck the drive out of it. Same drive, lower price.

At the same time, I buy a $50 120GB SSD, any brand, which I install in the case the drive came out of. This can come close to maxing out the USB 3.0 connection (USB 3.0 maxes at around 625MB/s), effectively creating a fast, high capacity flash drive. Not as small as a USB stick of course, but handy to have and faster than a USB stick. I have a dozen of them lying around. They all work perfectly.

For $150 or so, I get a 2TB internal spinner AND a 120GB external SSD. SSD size or brand doesn't matter. So long as the external drive contains a standard SATA drive (and all the Seagate Essentials do), the Seagate USB adapter within it works on any other HDD or SSD.

I even have a couple of adapters and cables sans case. They are great for testing or temporary use of any SATA drives, even 3.5" drives. Just plug and play.

The other reason I use the 2TB Seagate portable drives is they are always on special somewhere.. JB HiFi, Officeworks, even the Post Office.. for $100 or less.

Of course, if you want to buy only a caddy, they are cheap too, and work fine.

TL;DR No issues.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As above, no issues at all, I've done it myself for a few people, gets a little bit more life out of a throw away lappy. I've even use a couple myself for quick storage/transferring files etc.

6. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

perfect just wasn't sure if the commercial ssd externals were non standard ssd and a normal one would pull to much power ect

I have a few normally lappys drives in caddys they seem to work fine, but only really use them from time to time and i knew these days most arn't standard 2.5" drive so there may be a trick to them.

7. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

I used to to the same with 3.5" externals in fact on my desk at work i still have a controller all tapped up at i use to trasnfer files from random drives.

8. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Yep, just be wary with cheap ebay caddy's. Do a benchmark when you get it. I recently had two that were clearly USB2 controllers with a blue USB plug.

9. isaakk

isaakk Member

These ones work well if you don't want/need a full caddy, or Orico is a pretty safe bet for a cheap one otherwise. Have both (plus another Type-C), and they all easily pull 350MB/s plus.

10. ecroF

ecroF Member

I've bought a few cheap usb3 caddys from umart and they all work awesome.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

These are the ones I use. USB 3.0 controller on its own is not as durable as the ones in isaakk's link, but @ $99 each for a caddy with a standard SATA 2TB spinner included :thumbup: . Seagate Essentials.

Just make the spinner an internal drive, stick your SSD into its place, close it up, and Bob's your transgender aunty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a 500W G-Unique Daemon Ultra PSU running off a modified 500w+ Dell power brick in the 24pin slot in case you are wondering. The 1050Ti only uses onboard power, its a bit wasted on this Ryzen 1700 rig. I need to pick up a 160W Pico and save this beast for a different build. This is the contents of my Jukebox build, in a temporary case while I'm working on the real case.

Last edited: May 12, 2018