1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Putting PC into storage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Catweazle, Oct 1, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Catweazle

Catweazle Member

^

Holy shit dunno why I didn't think of that myself. Makes more sense than anything. They've got a 5 bedroom, 2 loungeroom house, and all their kids are grown and moved out! To be honest, maybe I've been UNDER-thinking it :D

I'll go have a talk to him I reckon. There's a big-arse telly and some other electronics to cater to as well. :thumbup:

2. mr626

mr626 Member

The 'big-arse telly' might be pushing the friendship though?

A computer tower doesn't take up that much space, and can easily be stacked / stored because of its shape.
    The TV, not so much. Sell it. Same for the other electronics (unless they are vintage, rare or special in some way).

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Storing inside a house, you might still want to do the "separately pack everything" option, but as an alternative, you could just wrap the graphics card separately inside an anti-static bag/wrap (with gel packs), leave the GPU inside the case then wrap case up with foamwrap then bubble wrap with gel packs inside the chassis. Cover that with butchers paper and tape the whole thing up. Make it as hard as possible for roaches or spiders to get inside (which will be the main issues storing inside a house).

If it's a big tv wrap it up in foam wrap or bubble wrap and tape securely.

As an aside, I thought you'd vanished forever after you left regularly posting on the dear departed PCPP forums catters.

4. OP
    OP
    Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Goodness me, that was a while ago. Fun times while it lasted. Internet forums in general have died off a lot since then, and I've only been internet posting sporadically.

I went bush again for a while. A bit more sawmilling and then some general farmhand work. Basically got outdoors and enjoyed my last few years of working life before retirement. And already travelled a fair bit since. Outdoors is where it's at. Walls (and shoes) not so much :D

macktheknife likes this.
  5. breno

breno Member

Make sure you come back in 10 years time and let us know how it went

Catweazle likes this.
  6. power

power Member

moisture is the numbero uno of killing old anything, so sealed away in a cool, dry place away from direct light.

7. OP
    OP
    Catweazle

Catweazle Member

LOL.

I'd best bung a wireless card in it so I can connect it to my phone when I eventually get back. I still won't have a house then :D

(Got OCAU Forum saved on the Favourites Bar in readiness!)

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably wont be using wireless then :D

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

The only thing you're ever going to miss in 10 years is the data.

The PC will be ancient and worth less than $50.
    Though if you're really committed to it being the way you like it, create a physical-to-virtual backup.

Best advice: find a decent PAIR of online storage platforms and copy the data. It's a long term cost though.

Alternately, for cheaper, talk to someone with one about making a few tape backups. Tapes are cheap.
    Presumably you have family/friends who can store a small metal lock box lined with foam, silica gel and a tape in it in a fairly cool location like a pantry or basement.

Tapes can last decades in proper storage. That's pretty close to proper. The key here though is multiple copies.

Then when it comes time to restore it, you buy a couple of new HDDs, find someone with a tape reader and restore it - then you can either run it as a virtual machine on whatever hardware exists then, or figure out if it will run on new hardware.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Extremely important. I'd be making a few copies in various locations.