Q6600 What do you think about the new cheap quad core ?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by gonobe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. doghouse

doghouse Member

Two words
    Fuck yeah!

or

Forty Percent!

2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Cheers doggy.

Not a huge overclocker but given hardware thats capable of it... i'lll be giving her a bit of a nudge. I dont imagine a quad core @ stock speed is exactly light on horsepower as it is.

Put it this way, i have to start DVD encoding and go to bed w/ Pentium D!!

3. doghouse

doghouse Member

Let me put it this way, using Nero Recode and my quad at 3.6 the whole encoding process took 12minutes, burning took 15.

4. Ridah

Ridah Member

How hot do these cpu's get as opposed to the dual core cpus?

5. Frag

Frag Member

"When you buy 2 x 1Gb PC800 ram for 149"

LOL I'll sell you my q6600 for $100 when you buy my ram for 400! :p :Pirate:

6. Chinese Farmer

Chinese Farmer Member

Just a quick question, how do you tell whether a Q6600 has G0 or B3 stepping? Is there some kind of a code imprinted onto the chip?

7. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

I need the RAM anyways, works out to be a good deal still

8. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

bought my q6600 when it first came out FOR $702. If i wasnt so impatient i could have saved a heap of money. My B3 stepping hits 3.7 but very unstable. Im running it at 3.5 for everyday computing. Im happy with it...

9. RAMMAN

RAMMAN Member

even with stock cooling/voltage?

10. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

11. Damn_Good

Damn_Good Member

We've all been saying that since multicore cpus came out 3 years ago. There have been a couple that spout stuff about running better on multi cores but im guessing the day a quad core is utilised where a dual core cant be is still a long way off for gaming.

Still thats a bargain price, considering alot of my mates just bought e6600s for like $460 2 months ago.

12. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Haha yea, my brother included. E6600 for $390 about 6 weeks ago.

It will be a very long while, but with what little I know about software development, getting software to distribute processes evenly amongst the available cores (be it 2 or 4) is a bloody difficult task. I've had my current system for 5 years, and my quad-core (comes this afternoon weee!) is something I plan on having for at least a few. I'd like it to eventually be useful for proper multicore functioning games. Mmmm awesome.

13. UB3R

UB3R Member

Supcom does use my dual core more than most other games have, i dont think it multithreads the actual game though, just lumps the AI onto one core and the rest to the other (as one core runs at around 90% the whole game but the other slowly builds up as the game progresses).

14. Frag

Frag Member

It takes about 2-3 yrs for software to be developed and since they have been out in force for a good 2 yrs we will see a HUGE increase in sw which uses multi cores. I recall when dual CPU fad started (recall dual C466's?) and some apps did support it but it never took off but now with things done on once cpu... sweeeeet

And lets face it once SW is optimised for dual core its optimised for quad, oct or whatever. As soon as they develop multithreaded apps it will scale accordingly.

Now i only want quad core for 2 reasons, video encoding and for gaming. I have used a couple multi threaded apps which have halved my encoding time, and now we are seeing some games which is the tip of the ice berg.
    -- Crysis, Supreme Commander, ++ a fair few more in development which i can't recall names of. Once core for physics, one for environment, one for AI, one for geometry setup or whatever.. anyway even if these drop some more in a year, 300ish for a quad is just BS cheap and its just intel trying to sink AMD before fusion gets off the ground?

At the very least multicore will give you good multitasking :)

15. HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

Would like to know this myself...

16. vitagen

vitagen Member

on the box the product code:

for example the q6600 i just bought has
    BX80562Q6600SL9UM

which is B3 stepping

G0 will have BX80562Q6600SLACR

just look for the SLACR part

17. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

This is exactly my dilemma. Anyone got a G0 stepping on air with some results?
    Are the G0s available in Aus yet? Where?