1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Q8200 Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Tha Snowmann, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

Hi Guys,

Well i finally started to overclock my system today after a full rebuild.

Now my specs are in my sig for reference

Currently i have the CPU running at 3150MHz, ive got it to boot into windows no probs and so now just running some stability testing. Im using LinX and Prime95.

I have done the OC in steps and run these on each boot with no problems however atm Prime95 fails straight away and LinX fails after about 1 minute.
    On idle the CPU is sitting at about 48 degrees and when it was on load it topped at 67 degrees so i dont believe it is getting to hot just atm.

Some screenies for ya
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all other settings have been left on auto, and ram is linked with the FSB

Please help as i want to get this really stable and would like to go further :) also let me know if you need some more info/screenies and ill happily supply them

Cheers,
    Snowmann

2. slyls1

slyls1 Member

here is a tip: never use auto settings when oc'ing ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

well i sorta know that from what ive read, however i have never overclocked before and just wanted to 'try' and keep things simple till i completely understand it all. Im just stuck as to what to change or fix atm to get this more stable and to possibly get a better overclock.

So can anyone help me out with this?

4. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

i love the way you apparently have a fan running at over 6000rpm. unless its really small its gotta be really loud? or is that just a bad reading :Paranoid:

Tips:
    - (obvious) Only do CPU voltage up a notch at a time, when you increase FSB speed. Volts = heat obviously. Always monitor your temps!

- [following up slyls1]: If your starting to overclock past the 400 FSB mark on a 780i, generally it requires more volts to the FSB. (like dah!) auto should put you up around 1.3v anyway, which is good, but i would manually set this. ::- :: - but thats not usually all. Other things like SPP and MCP (north bridge) volts need to go up too, but generally on substantially higher overclocks. This is where awesome NB cooling is handy! 780i's coolers handle this alright though. I still use stock NB cooling, for the moment.

- Boards like ours (780i's) start to suck after 450 FSB (so iv noticed with mine anyway), but every batch of board is different. You will find sweet spots here and there for these values.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

hey cheers for the help.

before i read all that though i actually got it up higher, got it to sit at 3.3ghz and was going all sweet. was even playing counter strike source for about 1.5hours and all sweet but when i turned the computer off the BSOD appeared. so i bumped it down to 3.28ghz and has passed a 1 hour prime95 test and a linx test of 20 passes so far. and yes i know i still need to do a 12 or 24 hour test to see if it is really stable :)

hopefully this screen shot will show you most of the details but i have left the CPU volts at auto. looking from CPU-Z the Core Voltage changes all the time, this would be because its set at auto and changes depending on how much CPU activity is going on yes?
    i have set my RAM manually though. its 1:1 with the bus speed and has timings of 5-5-5-15-2T. volts were set to 2.10 which was taken off the side of the memory sticks along with the timings.

I havnt played around with any of the volts to CPU, northbridge or anything, just left them at auto for the time being. but so far with these settings it has not BSOD on me or crashed and has posted nicely.

Regarding the fan running at 6000rpm, it is the dominator ram cooler which is running on 100% (all fans set manually at 100%) i have tried to bump this down to 50% however once that is done its readings are really weird, says min rpm was 0 and max rpm was 37000 :confused: jumps around the place instead of sitting around a constant number.

[​IMG]

6. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Question:
    Is your multiplier maximum 7x?

What you should try and do is forget the auto settings , really. Trust me on this:
    - I have already taken the liberty of dealing with a pre-broken ass eVGA 780i and thrashing the crap out of it, voltage-wise especially. :leet:
    - Just tonight I was running max everything (1.8v on my core!! :shock:) and the board didnt die or smell funny :p [note i have a watercooled CPU.] - my point being that you can eaisly put the volts up to say...

:: 1.38750 on the CPU, bump up to 1.40000v if having issues (this depends on what FSB/CPU clock your actually trying to achieve)
    :: 1.3 on the FSB.. easily.
    :: 1.40 on the SPP (usually auto does this anyway.)

:: leave the MCP stock, or if there are still issues, give it some juice up to 1.525v, or 1.500v.
    :-:-:-: This affects your temp on the NB (you know where this is right) and (hopefully) as you can see/should know its got a big ass HS+Fan on it. mine lives at 1.7 easy when the ambient temp is cool, so you know it will be fine, if your worried. :-:-:-:

7. OP
    OP
    Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

yeah its a Q8200 and the multiplier can only go to 7 :(
    from what i have read/heard the Q8200 isnt the best CPU for overclocking and dosnt perform as great as a Q6600 but this is what i have atm until i decide to upgrade or the thing conks it :p

ok well i wont be able to do any of this till Thursday night as work and other things need to be taken care of first.

Just to clarify, Northbride is SPP and SouthBridge is MCP yes?
    so ill set my Core Voltage to 1.38750 and adjust the other voltages accordingly. (hittin 500 bus with 2000 FSB would be nice :D but i do understand every CPU is different) So the more i up the FSB the more i gotta up the CPU Core Voltage.
    i know from looking that the voltage values on the 780i mobo are in diff colours. the grey which its in atm and then there is the green coloured numbers which i presume are still within the 'safe' range that the CPU can handle and then there is the red section which would be pushing the volts over what the CPU was intended for?
    so if i keep within the green i should be all sweet yeah? :) but more volts mean higher temps if im not mistaken.

[​IMG]
    so i set the values for the first 4 items on the list and leave everything else on auto for this screen?

[​IMG]
    NorthBridge is just left of the CPU socket ( big ass silver thing without the fan on) and the SouthBridge is at the ends of the PCI-e slots branching off from the NorthBridge (Just to clarify :tongue:)

Sorry for all the questions but im just really keen to understand it all and dive into this with as much knowledge as possible so i dont end up kicking my own ass :tongue:
    So for what you have told me and for in advanced, cheers for the help mate :D greatly appreciated, oh and if you dont already know, i like picture :D

8. stablez

stablez Member

GTF reference is confusing to me.
    I had to upgrade when it was introduced to high end P35 mobo's.

I look at the voltage and for the boot in you are half way there.
    But with the NB you can safly up it to 1.45v

1.60v reveiws oc'ing cpus for results are owned too but just keep in mind temps. With my Quad it wont do any higher FSB stable with Prime 450FSB Even though others have had the expected roof of 473FSB

I have to sit on 444FSB but its a C1

From 2.33ghz to 3ghz aint jiggy with it. Just stable test matey..:rolleyes:

9. sympozium

sympozium Member

oh great, stablez is back

10. OP
    OP
    Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

well tonight i was playing around with the BIOS settings a bit more and did try and push it a bit further, i believe i got to boot it on 3.39ghz but wasnt stable. had a few BSOD's but all volts were kept within safe limits and i have set all my volts, no more auto for me, im a big boy now! :D

well i think ive found a sweet spot here atm coz im not game enough to slap it on 500 bus speed with 2000 FSB :Paranoid:
    im pretty happy where it is atm and would just like to get it totally rock solid as is. here are some screenies for ya where the same settings have been used for each one.

This one here was a In-Place large FFT's Test that ran for a bit over an hour and had no errors. Ass you can see on 100% load my temps topped out at 63.
    [​IMG]

This one was the Blend torture test which ran for 1 hour 20mins however core #3 returned an error only after 8 minutes :confused: so not sure whats going on there. the temps topped out at 67 on 100% load here.
    [​IMG]

so yeah not to sure where to go from here. oh and another thing, i was watching the Core Voltage in CPUZ for a bit during the tests and even though i have set my CPU Volts at i believe 1.38some (will have to double check for ya) it kept fluctuating from 1.296 to 1.344. No idea how to stop this so a bit lost fellas and would like some help if anyone would know :)

so im quite happy having the CPU sittin here at this speed, i have already notice a very nice difference from stock speeds which im very happy with. I have set my RAM manually to its specs timing, volts and speed and it is unlinked from the CPU, however i was wondering, do you think i would be able to get more from this RAM? i would really like to pump this as much as i possible could. I have the Dominator air flow on the ram, but do note, i do have 8GB of RAM here, 4 sticks in total. and i have heard that having all lanes populated does make it harder for overclocking.
    whats everyone thoughts about that?

when i can i will post up the exact volts that i have entered in the BIOS for you all.

Cheers,
    Snowmann

11. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

780i overclocking help - from a fellow OCAU'er tryin to help out!

Brace yourself for a shitload of info. Im just gonna go all out and try to make this more of a permanent reference thing for you to keep rather than asking more questions... which I dont mind, but it helps a lot more, and I can let you know what I have been able to achieve as I have stressed this board out maximally already, for your convenience :D

The MCP Voltage is the NorthBridge. Note the MCP voltage goes rather high. Thats also why theres a huge fan on the NorthBridge.

this is all too common on the 780i boards. I get it horribly too. Its known as "vDroop" where the reading fluxuates according to the workload and how much power stuff is sucking. I could go into efficiency of the circuitry and stuff, how it loses power due to certain components along the way and what-not, but yeah. This is why volts need to be set higher and higher as you push overclocks more. The vDroop at 1.6v in BIOS for my 780i has drooped as low as 1.45 (thats 0.15v drop :Paranoid: ) - not a good thing. Just nVidia chipsets for you though.

::::: I am not very informed on this, but personally I have half-determined that with the massive vDroop during load tests, this in itself is the reason your PC will freeze or whatever - sucking that much power out to do its work, has made it go below its threshold for that clock, and locked up.
    - Like if a 3.6GHz clock needs say, 1.425v at minimum, and a stress test sucks the voltage below that, then it will lock up.)
    - Or maybe everything I said was really obvious and its just never clicked!!! :p :Paranoid: yeah sometimes Im a bit slow...

::: As for your overall concern towards 'safe volts' and temps :::
    - If your hitting 60 degrees load with the cooling you have right now, there is a little room for more. I recommend for our boards only using up to 1.45v on the CPU. But note the CPU voltage isnt the only one to worry about when overclocking!! The MCP(NorthBridge) and FSB voltages come into play at higher clocks, becoming the limiting factor.
    - Anyway...anything up to 1.625v on the MCP - with the exception that with the cooler weather, 1.650v on the MCP volts should handle fine. I have had it running at 1.65v as a 24/7 trial over 2 days and I always have checked the temps, and as a further reference, I frequently do a touch test. It was never hot enough to make me pull away. It just stays warm. The cooler isnt that bad. :thumbup:

As a recap reference: High Rated FSB (1800 and over, or if currently unstable)

- CPU: 1.45, maybe one step higher if you can handle the temps
    - FSB: 1.3v is the usual anyway no matter what I find... although if its still unstable and BSOD'ing especially, 1.4v isnt a bad number. Other boards go up to 1.5!!! I have found it safe.
    - Memory: Leave this at rated voltage, along with rated speed.
    - SPP: Personally i dont know the difference unless Im doing insane overvolting in the redzones. 1.40v should automatically appear sometimes, and has no need to be higher.
    - MCP: 1.55v to start off with regardless. Step up after CPU & FSB have been put up a couple steps and further instablility persists.
    - SPP<->MCP: I have never needed to touch this, I dont know enough about it to bother messing with. Leave at [Auto].

What youll find is that RAM is a rather limiting factor. 1066MHz is already really fast DDR2 RAM. Ram at this speed anyway is already so fast the modules themselves really dont like varying speed any higher. Like an even number of 1100MHz suits me awesomely. You barely notice the speed diff anyway.
    Secondly, to the lane usage. Youll find thats sort of true, although whats really limiting is the memory capacity [so I have found personally] (1024MB or whatever.) - Compare it to this:
    ::I had a pair of 512MB sticks at 533MHz (in an older PC) and because of the small and slow size and speed, i was able to run the timings at 1-1-1-3.. at 667MHz......stable!!! :leet:
    ::I now run 1024mb modules at 1066MHz. anywhere past 1100MHz and it will not like it. Same for the timings, cant really set it lower.

I have set 8x multiplier on my CPU with 500FSB before (the golden 4GHz!), with the volts set to their highest, with a watercooled CPU on a chilly night, and I still couldnt boot yet... it only got as far as POST. But as everyone knows.. everyones CPU and board are different. I think it may be possible. Maybe. I wouldnt count on it yet. I plan on watercooling my NorthBridge to run insane volts and further manage that heat. Sometimes it may work sometimes it may not. Everything in BIOS is like a theoretical value really - like the real result most likely will not refllect the desired result. Like what CPU-Z reads compared to what you set in BIOS.

Ok this has been lengthy, I know. But Im only sharing what I can to help others :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  12. OP
    OP
    Tha Snowmann

Tha Snowmann Member

Hey thanks heaps Chardiieee for all your help, you have no idea how helpful you have been with this!
    I would have been totally stuck on what to do, and i am very grateful for your time and help.
    Knowing me though, ill always have questions :tongue: but i will use what you have written down as a guide. i dont mind the long posts, just as long as its filled with useful information im all good, which yours was :thumbup:

Well here are the Volts settings that i am currently running and were running when i did those prime95 tests in the post before.
    Now as you can see, ive set my CPU Volts to 1.350 however its saying current value is 1.300, so im guessing this is that vdroop thing?? its only requiring 1.300 to start up the comp? and depending on what its doing within windows that will vary and change around that value i have set?
    as you can see all values are either in the green or just below it and there is still plenty of room to play with the CPU volts, as the red section dosnt start till 1.500 volts
    [​IMG]

13. Thenez

Thenez Member

i have the same CPU and have OC'ed my FSB to 400mhz just to see how it would go, runs smooth @ 2.8ghz wouldnt mind getting up too 3ghz, am a little concernd but i havent touched voltage or any thing just upped the FSB but my temps seem to be sitting in the high 60'C (underload), i think it my be a running a little hot, ill have to check it when i finish work (in 2 hours).

what happens when it runs too hot will it just shut down? whats a safe temp i should aim for?