1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Qantas Flight Refund

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by glenpinn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi, 2 weeks ago i canceled a one way flight Hobart to Perth due to border closures, i was going to be driving my Sisters car back to Hobart for her.

I canceled the flight for May 9th, was informed i would get my $309 back as a refund, but i never received any text or emails from them at the time of cancellation, and i have sent several messages to them via their crappy website, but still no word from them.

Now it appears that Qantas refunds will take up to 8 to 10 business weeks to be completed.

Why would it take that long, and is there some other way that i can contact them for verification.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. wwwww

wwwww Member

In order for Qantas to meet its typically excellent AP-AR days operational targets, sometimes outbound payments can unfortunately take a long time. Given the present situation has likely prompted a surge in refunds, this creates a lengthy backlog that extends this queue further.

Or in simpler terms, they want to keep your money longer because it increases profits by decreasing interest costs.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I was thinking it could have something to do with maximizing their chances of making a $ out of that money.

4. coolroy

coolroy Member

Charge back not possible?

5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Not sure what you mean sorry ?

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Got an email from Qantas just now to complete the refund process so they can get it completed, don't know if they are charging any fees, all i know is that i paid $311.46 for the ticket, and i was told i would get $309 refund.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Direct charge back or fee reversal onto the used credit card.
    Sweet. :)

JSmith

8. clonex

clonex Member

atleast you get a refund, mrs got credit from webjet and most likely she booked her O/S flight in a few months as well thru webjet i think she'll get more credit again.

Why the f##k people use booking sites as they never seem to be cheaper anyway?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

The $309 i referred to as the refund was what i was told when i originally canceled the flight after receiving the email giving me the 2 options of a refund or a credit.
    I hope this is the amount i will get, as i got the impression they were not holding any cancellation fees because the cancellation was due to borders being locked.

I agree, i have never found cheaper fares by using any of those stupid booking sites, except a few that were offering cheap tickets with less than reputable airlines, with more than one stopover, sometimes 2 stops to certain places.

Found some cheapies from Melb to Manila, 3 stops with Air China or something like that, trips that would take 24 hours, and normally would take 8 hours direct.

We booked tickets to the Philippines with Air Asia earlier this year, traveling in October, normally we would use Philippine Airlines or Cebu Pacific, but Cebu Pacific are hopeless on the long haul flights.

Air Asia are now taking over as the preferred domestic airline throughout the Philippines, they seem to be very popular, with some very decent prices.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Lost $1,000 getting a refund on a flight from Air New Zealand, they're one of the few airlines not offering refunds but 12 months of credit. The credit is useless to me (no idea if the flight will be doable then, or even if the airline will survive that long, seems like the NZ govt is propping it up for now) and it was $5k worth of flights, so rather get $4k back.

Pretty pissed off because a few weeks ago they said they would be offering refunds. They then changed their tune to "refund in line with original ticket booking rules", which was $500 per person cancellation fee :/.

To be fair, I booked the tickets early March, because 1. I figured it wouldn't be this bad and 2. it was a stupidly cheap premium economy flight. So I gambled and lost :p

11. wwwww

wwwww Member

Did they cancel your flight? You would generally be entitled to a full refund.

12. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Can't you do a charge back?

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Yup. They are point blank refusing to do that, they only issue credits.

Even the ACCC is hedging their bets on this one, they seem to think a credit is fine.

I'm going to try, but from reports I've read online about the credit card companies are generally not touching this problem at the moment.

edit: Bank won't do a chargeback more than 30 days after the transaction, seems I missed my window.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  14. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I am not sure if my $309 refund from Qantas will fall under the charge back as i originally paid $311.46 for the fare, but i was told because the borders were closed, i was allowed to cancel with either a credit or refund.

it has been 4 weeks since the flight was canceled, still no money.

15. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I cancelled a flight last year, well before this virus thing, and processing a refund during normal economic times was a good 8-10 weeks. Nothing will happen in 4 weeks.

16. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah, at the time i canceled they said up to 8 weeks because of the number of refund/credits they need to process, but the email last week advising me that the refund is now being processed said it will be several weeks.

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Something coming up on channel 7 here in SA about your rights for refund for cancelled flights
    Don't know if it would have shown where you are, but maybe check on channel 7 website for the article?
    Don't know what's going to be in it yet though...

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Did they cancel the flights after you bought the tickets, or did you cancel them because of restrictions that prevented you from taking those flights.

In my case, Western Australia closed its border meaning that when i arrived in Perth i would have to self isolate for 2 weeks, so i was allowed to cancel the flight myself, with full refund.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

looks like this is it, however it's a bit lacking in details. ACCC is pretty clear they're going to let airlines get away with credits though so I think I'm up a creek.

Managed to file a complaint with AirNZ, ACCC and a chargeback though, so it'll be a wait and see.

They cancelled the flights (they have stopped all flights until June 30, I was booked for June 11th). They automatically issued me a credit, which I thought was odd so rang up to complain, was given a "credit or pay the cancellation fees" line.

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

it wasn't that one.. But pretty similar and equally useless..
    Basically they said check the conditions of the sale or check with your agent,.