1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Qantas Flight Refund

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by glenpinn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im still waiting on $4k of flight cancellations from Qantas. Mrs got the points back for part of her flight, but the $ hasn't come through yet. Cancellations went in back in mid March once they announced the border restrictions.

Most annoyingly we are waiting on the refund so we can cancel the card....

2. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I know they might have a big list of refunds, but 8 weeks is a bit much, however is the delay really because of the volume of the cancellations, because some have suggested that under normal circumstances the delay can be 6 to 8 weeks anyway.

Maybe more time for Qantas to make money in interest on all that refund money.

3. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Yeah we had a week in the whitsundays booked with Virgin.......no refund just "travel credit"

Which sucks

4. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I thought Virgin was offering a refund, as per Qantas and Jetstar.

Many years ago i traveled with Virgin all the time, they were always the cheapest, as per Jetstar now.

The flight i booked with Qantas to fly to Perth on May 9 was the same price as as Jetstar, again very unusual, but i chose Qantas because i only had 2 hours in Melb, Jetstar was 7, no direct flights from Hobart on the day i had to fly.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  5. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Not to me they didnt. Website also shows travel credit only but no "cancellation charge"

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Interesting that our airlines have different policies regarding cancellations due to the Coronevirus and border closures, i am eventually getting $309 back out of $312.46 that i paid for my ticket, well that is what they indicated when i made the cancellation.

7. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Well...im getting ~$2300 travel voucher. Cash back would have been nicer

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So do you intend traveling to the Whitsundays, or any other place for your holiday in the next 6 to 12 months.

I took the refund option even though i will still need to fly to Perth as soon as everything settles down, and airlines begin their services, as my sister needs me to drive her car back to Hobart for her, but i am hoping to find a cheaper sub $300 fare to Perth with Jetstar when i need to book.

I imagine things will be very hectic when the airlines do get back into full flight again, so cheap fares may be very hard to find.

9. clonex

clonex Member

did you book thru a 3rd party?

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

That is a good question, and it would be interesting to see if there is a different policy if booked through a travel agent or some online booking service.

I always book my flights direct with Airlines, never found cheaper fares using those online websites.

coolroy likes this.
  11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Heard back from AirNZ on my complaint, "we are currently seeing a high volume of requests and will respond with 15-20 business days"...

Credit card company are looking into it, nothing from the ACCC. Will be interesting to see what happens, although right now with Virgin exploding I imagine the ACCC will be kinda busy...

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I re-applied for my refund again last night with Qantas via the original email that they sent me with the option to select credit or refund, just to see what happened this time, and i get a very similar message, the issue is we have moved our bank accounts and credit card over to a small Tasmanian owned bank, and i had to retain my mastercard until that refund is completed as there is no way that i can change card refund to another card, they don't allow it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Far out, i re-applied for my refund last Tuesday night in case they had lost my previous claim, and here it is on Saturday and i finally got an email from them, as you can see in the screenshot below.

Now i have to call them, as they seem to be shutting off this email service for refunds.

They better give me a solution when i call them, or i will take it to some higher authority.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  14. Sledge

Sledge Member

WOW..
    Seems like it's just too much hassle so they're trying to make it harder and try to hide from it....

15. Plax

Plax Member

I was on a RTW points trip I'd prepared for a long time when this hit and came home early a day after Trump first addressed the nation. This meant that I came home before travel credits were available and it cost me triple to come home.
    Once home I sent through a very polite email stating that this was not high priority first and asking for them to look into points/travel credit if possible at a later date. Six weeks later and they just cancelled my RTW trip stating "We are in the process of returning the Qantas Points to your frequent flyer account, and applicable taxes to the original form of payment."
    This is good news, however I no longer have that original credit card. Time to sign a statutory declaration stating that I no longer have it and to use another one.
    Also, I have no idea how many points I'll get back but fingers crossed.

16. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Airlines need your cash to offset their ongoing costs. Longer they make you wait the longer they can survive and get a government bail out.

17. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yep, or just keeping the cash as long as possible while having it invested making a few $$$ before refunding it.

coolroy likes this.
  18. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Possibly. I think it's debt offset at this point. Qantas reportedly only has 11 weeks of non operating before it follows virgin. Virgin only had 4 weeks of working capital before it's debt got it.

coolroy likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Holy crap, yeah all you hear about is the big profits that Qantas has made, but you never hear about the rest of it.

coolroy likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Qanatas must have heard me bagging them out.:D

Lets see how long Westpac take to put the money back onto my mastercard.

[​IMG]