Qantas Flight Refund

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by glenpinn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I cancelled a flight with Thai in March, and they told me exactly the same, I need to wait at least 8 weeks for a refund.

I hope they make good on this. Most European airlines are so short of cash that they do not refund, but only provide vouchers.

2. wwwww

wwwww Member

This is normal for Australian businesses. Because there's very little growth opportunity in Australia, they generally pay out most of their income as dividends.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

FUCK YOU QANTAS, your gunna be hearing from me very very soon, they told me i was getting a refund of $309 out of the $311.49 that i paid for my flight.

This is bullshit :thumbdn: :mad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just realized that the email i just sent back to them will not be delivered as i actually replied to their email telling me that they had processed my refund, but the email address they sent the message from is used for sending emails to customers only, you can't reply to it.

Now i have to try and locate a number to call, or another email address to send my reply to.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Does anyone here know the number to call or email address for customer support to complain about this refund, those pricks are not going to take $274of my fare for cancellation, they offered a full refund or full credit when the borders started closing.

I can cop $30 or $40 but $274 is dam well crap.

I tried 131313 and 131131 and all i get is a voice recording advising us to apply for a full flight credit by April 30, and if we applied for a refund, it is taking 8 to 10 weeks to process, with an email to follow once the refund has been completed, which i got the other day, but it is not the full refund as they said they would give.

It seems like they don't want anyone calling them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. frnak

frnak Member

Geeze that sucks.
    Qantas offered me a full refund a month ago and I still haven't received anything.

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Clearly they are not doing a full refund, so don't hold your breath, however please let us know in here what happens if/when you do get that refund email.

I am still having problems getting a valid phone number to call about this, or an email address to send them my concerns.

7. Maco88

Maco88 Member

Just popped on the Qanats website and it is still quoting fares for June. What's going on? Isn't international travel banned until further notice????

WTF????

8. power

power Member

gotta rope in as many donors as possible.

9. Azrael

Azrael Member

I got my part of the full refund a couple of days ago. Still waiting on the other booking which was the rest of the family.

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So you got your actual flight cost fully refunded ?

Wonder what Qantas are up to, i still cannot find a phone number that gives me an opportunity to speak to someone about my case, i have called 5 numbers, and all of them have no option to go thru to customer service, and the message keeps telling us that due to the high volume of refunds/cancellations they will take 8 weeks at least.

That is crap, and i don't know who to call about this.

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah. Taxes fees and all.

12. clonex

clonex Member

ACCC

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. tobes

tobes Member

I had a flight late may to San Francisco that I had rang up and cancelled for future flight credit. Just wondered why the direct debit for my credit card payment hadn't gone through and logged in to check. Discovered that they actually just refunded the whole fare. Interesting.

14. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Thanks guys, at least now i know that i was not mistaken by what i had read about them offering a full refund, i was just curious why they originally told me that my refund was going to be $309 and not the $311.49 that i paid for the flight, $2.49 less seems a bit odd.

Anyway, i would like to take this up directly with Qantas if i ca, contacting the ACCC might be a long winded process.

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I went to the ACCC as part of my complaint with Air New Zealand, they told me to go to my state body, who told me to wait on the result of my credit card chargeback. ACCC will pressure them from the top, and it's probably good to put the complaint in to them as they more they get the more likely they are to make a company change policy, but they won't help individuals. Definitely need to go to Qantas first, could just be they refunded the tax only by accident. If they said they'd do the whole lot they usually will.

Went digging around though and found VISA's legal advice on chargebacks and likely they won't process it (just going by that, anyway, might be different under Australian consumer law), so I'll follow up with Australian Financial Complaints Authority, then Consumer Affairs Victoria then who knows. Fucking horrible process.

16. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

But where are the contact numbers or email address for Qantas, every fucking number i call just goes on with the same BS message about refunds taking up to 8/10 weeks and then offer 2 other options that have nothing to do with talking to customer service.

Why are they so difficult to talk to.

17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Where are the Qantas call centres?

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Well i finally got through to the customer care line this morning on 1300-659161, i was determined to hold out until i got thru, given i had tried this number, plus 5 others repeatedly for the past week or so.

It took 1.5 hours on speaker phone, and i eventually spoke to a lady at their Hobart call centre, which i thought they closed years ago to move off shore.

After explaining to this woman that all i got from Qantas was a refund of only $38.87 out of the $311.49 flight cost, she set about trying to fix it for me, but it ended up taking almost 45 minutes with her placing me on hold 3 times while she sought help from a supervisor, as she told me that Qantas have repeatedly changed to refund rules in the past 4 weeks.

It seems that the $38.87 refund that i got a few weeks ago was only the taxes component of my original Fare of $311.49, and when i asked why Qantas could would be allowed to keep the balance of $272.62 she couldn't really give me an answer, and asked me to hold while she sough advice from a supervisor.

10 minutes later she returned still confused herself, so i just asked if i can have the $272.62 balance given to me as a flight credit, given i will still need to fly to Perth at some time to drive my Sisters car home, so she set about doing this, however she was told by her supervisor that i would only be entitled to a credit of about $245.84 (possibly a bit more) and not the balance of $272.62, so when i ask why, she told me that as far as she knew, i was not entitled to the 10% GST amount of the balance, which i still don't understand ???????

The difference between $272.62 and $245.84 is $26.78, which is very close to the 10% GST amount, so now i should be getting an email within 7 days outlining the details of the flight credit and the actual credit amount.

After all this crap, and originally being told they would be offering a full flight cost refund, i now end up with the $38.87 refund, plus a flight credit of about $245.

Better than nothing, but still out of pocket around $27, but i can't be stuffed trying to get that back, unless the lady was wrong and i do end up getting the balance of $272.62 as flight credit.

19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That sucks. Surprised they had people in Hobart to take calls. I suspect they are working at the airport. I thought there main call centre was OS. I remember the shit fight trying to get to Bali after various volcanoes went off. The fucker wouldnt go off while I was there...Virgin opened up some local call centres.

20. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

It kind of amazes me, airlines can book thousands of ppl daily and accept payment instantly, but take months to process refunds. Makes you wonder :(