Qantas Flight Refund

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by glenpinn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yes my thoughts exactly, taking money is easy, giving it back is a massive task and so time consuming, not to mention the complete lack of communication avenues, like one customer care number that mostly never gets you thru to anyone.

That is why i just took the balance of my flight cost as flight credit, even if i lose the $27 GST part, trying to fight this would be a complete waste of time.

2. clonex

clonex Member

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I really don't understand how ACCC can allow Qantas to get away with it.
    Honestly, ACCC really have some explaining to do and be held accountable, especially for their crap regarding 121 POI for the NBN which significantly increased the CapEx. When I question them a while back, this is the email I received.

The main issue I have is that;
    - It's not any customers fault that the business cannot deliver their service/product and should be entitled to a refund if they so desire, times are tough for everyone.

- The store credit has such a limited time frame. I don't understand why it is only until December 2021, who and why is that acceptable? If a customer paid money, and the business offers a store credit (ie - a gift card), then why is there an expiry? There should not be any expiry date, as its simply not good enough because people plan these trips around their timeline and life, not what is convenient for a business. I know many who planned/prepaid to go on their last holiday before starting a family, which means goodbye holiday, you're not going to go o/s with a <12 month old and enjoy that. I would be fine with a store credit with no expiry.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. clonex

clonex Member

They had a guy on abc news last week from ACCC and he did touch on the time frames but how far can flights be booked ahead, 10-12 months?

From the article i linked earlier
    Thats just F##king wrong

5. power

power Member

I would imagine their T&C's have all of this covered and they are acting legally. That'd be why regulators have their hands tied.

6. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Is the store credit expiry date part of the terms and conditions :p ?

I'd call the store credit a form of "gift card" and the minimum is 3 years.
    https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/advertising-promotions/gift-cards-discount-vouchers

If they don't want to follow that, then the customers should be able to have their money returned to them in full.

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Over 1.5 years is a limited time frame?
    Seems like a fairly long time to me...

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

you might be travelling for a certain event that's not every year - oh I don't know - the olympics for example. 1.5 years of credit is no good for that.

credit is a farce anyway. the real reason is they'd ho bust if they had to refund everyone, they don't have the money to do so - hence why they're already opening up bookings fro the future now. they need cash now.

9. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I was suppose to go o/s in May this year (2nd time in my life going o/s, only been once!) as it was for our honeymoon, which we did not have time to go on straight after we got married (last year). The wife wants to have a child by early next year (body time clock is ticking), so I can't see ourselves going to enjoy a holiday o/s with a 12-24 month child. I'd rather money back or a flight credit with at least 3-5 years on it.

10. coolroy

coolroy Member

Qantas owes Approx $20 million in unpaid services to Perth Airport & Perth Airport now threatening to close the airport to Qantas until it receives the outstanding money.

Looks like Qantas might be in trouble here as WA has been a cash cow for Qantas over the years..... about time someone clipped Qantas's wings imho.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...feud-hits-breaking-point-20200508-p54r5x.html

from article linked above.

Of Qantas’ 39 leases, 18 are in short-term "holdover" arrangements and 21 are current.

Perth Airport chief executive Kevin Brown said action had to be taken and Qantas had been served breach notices for non-payment on current leases and 30-day notices that all holdover leases would not be renewed.

11. clonex

clonex Member

Who else flying out of perth airport? Cant be overly busy anyway surely?

Qantas locked into fixed contracts but has managed to renegotiate those fees etc with other airports except Perth?

Perth airport struggling maybe?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  12. Ripley

Ripley Member

Read the article you linked to. They are having a 150 million dollar argument over Terminal 4. 20 million dollars is nothing.

And as a FIFO worker who pays for long term parking at Perth Airport, let me assure you that Perth Airport are full of it. They would make less money if they turned the parking space into units and rented them. Quantas would do well to walk away. It wouldn't last long.
    Resources mate. Busy as fuck, even with Coronavirus.

clonex likes this.
  13. coolroy

coolroy Member

Qantas is not paying its bills, thats a fact.

They are also failing to refund airfares, thats a fact too.

Qantas have not been servicing WA well for a number of years now.

Cancelling direct flights with Japan was a mistake too.

Atleast we now have ANA covering perth to Japan routes.

Clean aircraft, great customer service from ANA, something that we didnt get from Qantas.

14. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I'm still waiting for the refund for a 4 international and domestic flights with Thai, I cancelled in March. Although the refund is confirmed, I am still worried I actually get it. In Europe, airlines are so short of cash that they refund only with a time limited voucher.

15. frnak

frnak Member

My refund from a flight in early april just came through. Seems to be about a six week delay.

16. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

You'll get it eventually, airline refunds take abit of time, I got one from Air Asia and they are as tight as a fishes arsehole

17. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Let's hope for the best, that's around $5,000.

Airlines Flout EU Rules by Offering Vouchers Instead of Refunds for Cancelled Flights

:sick:

In a way, I understand the voucher policy. Airlines simply do not have any cash on hand anymore to refund hundreds of thousands of cancelled flights. Many need to be bailed out by tax payer money, or might go into administration.

The even bigger problem for the future is probably, that after the travel bans are lifted the flight schedules will be much reduced, and ticket prices, in particular for budget travel, will go up.

18. mtma

mtma Member

I think so, it would appear they're not in a good place to absorb Virgin collapsing so can't handle Qantas dicking them too. Possibly Qantas has tried to play the game to keep enough of their leases renewed that Perth Airport is still slightly positive cash wise compared to closing all passenger services and kicking them out, and Perth Airport are now calling their move.

I can't imagine that Perth Airport is pulling all of their leases without knowledge of something behind the scenes that will hurt Qantas. I am guessing they're taking the gamble that disruption to FIFO and cargo contracts means that they can't just re-arrange temporary services to use the next airfield over.
    Suspended.

19. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

After yet another email a few days ago about my flight Credit, i finally got it today, $271 out of the $311.49 i paid for the ticket, less the $38 they already refunded to my PayPal that they originally gave me (thought they could get away with it)

[​IMG]

I will be using it for my flight to Perth (as per my original booking) when my Sister is finally allowed to cross borders and return to Hobart to live from Perth.

Looking forward to getting back to Perth and Fremantle after not being there for 35 years, and then driving her car back for her.

I have no faith in the ACCC, never have done, i personally think they are a complete waste of time and money.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  20. wwwww

wwwww Member

ACCC does not have any jurisdiction. They cannot compel airlines to provide refunds. They can take the airlines to court and if they win, the airlines will be fined. That won't help you, in fact if airlines are running into financial troubles, getting them fined will actually reduce the amount you can recover.

You can however personally take the airlines to your local tribunal. I think sect 62 of Sch 2 of the C&C Act 2010 would be your best bet, the refund claim would be under 267/269.