1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Qantas Flight Refund

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by glenpinn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I dislike having to get into the 44's but they auto pretty well, although we are usually over water.
    Turbines are superior in every way, safety, reliability, way less moving parts!

2. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

3. power

power Member

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

How did you go? we where due to fly out in August, flights have all been cancelled so i requested refunds but getting the old "unable to process refunds debacle" so lodged a case with Consumer Affairs (NSW) but not much is moving either.

Apparently(from consumer affairs) the norm is now Travel Credits that are valid for 2 years from date of issue for bookings, with travel allowed a further 6 months after booking.

Could try my AMEX travel insurance, but as Thai is in "administration" (by the way, how friggin convenient is the timing on that???) that might even void my insurance.

5. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I complained to their HQ in BKK, and this is the response that I got:

Raptor_Eye and Nethiuz like this.
  6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

anyone that booked on points had their taxes + points refunded yet? i'm still waiting, but i assume it will be a while

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I complained directly to Thai HQ - although my ticket was purchased through their legal entity in Japan. Got this in response. Well, nothing new here, but at least they respond although it took them almost 3 weeks:

8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Nice radar kangaroo

[​IMG]

coolroy and Nethiuz like this.
  9. cvidler

cvidler Member

the last Qantas 747 off to the bone yard.

10. Azrael

Azrael Member

Hearing rumours this morning that QF have cancelled all International flights until March 2021. Can't find anything official though, anyone have something more solid than Discord rumours?

coolroy likes this.
  11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/07/15/qantas-to-cancel-nearly-all-international-flights-until-march-2021-report/#:~:text=Qantas to cancel nearly all international flights until March 2021: report,-15 Jul 2020&text=Qantas has removed the inventory,to a report from CNBC.
    Qantas has removed the inventory for nearly all of its international flights until March 2021, according to a report from CNBC.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  12. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Very sad.

Of course they are not alone, all airlines are hit in the same or similar way. I wonder how long it will take until airtravle will be back to "normality". Ticket prices will go up due to less competition, that's for sure.

Raptor_Eye likes this.
  13. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Well i will be getting a refund from Thai Airways, now just the long wait to receive it.

I dont expect tickets to go up too much after we put COVID-19 behind us with a vaccine hopefully, as they will want to fill up the planes which wont happen if the prices go up too much, perhaps in the distant future we will see the effects of less competition but right now i bet they are keen to just have full planes.

14. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I just arranged my refund from Vietnam Airlines - seemed almost too easy. 8-10 week processing time, ugh.. but there was no question about a refund which is nice.

15. jackdaw

jackdaw Member

Had Qantas phone me last week as I had a JNB-MEL flight for next week booked on points. Was expecting a 6000 point slug per booking as I'd read this on their site. Was told I'd get my total points returned and all taxes refunded in 6 to 8 weeks. Will see.

16. Radley

Radley Member

Good to hear.

My wife and I have a bunch of flight credits with Qantas and when trying to redeem the credits to go to Sydney in a couple of weeks was told that the flights are too cheap for the voucher... What the actual fuck.

17. wwwww

wwwww Member

You can only use a past flight credit as credit towards the same fare type or higher.

If they cancelled your flight you booked before COVID you should've opted for a refund.

If you cancelled it then that's what you agreed to.

18. Radley

Radley Member

It is the same fare type. They made up some bullshit about the cost of the flights I want to book being too cheap so they can avoid refunding the extra or leaving the credit. They're the biggest ***** with things like this.

19. Revenge

Revenge Member

It's why I waited (albeit quite anxiously) for my flights to get cancelled by Qantas instead of pre-empting it.
    Still took 16 weeks for the refund to come through.
    Good news is only lost $16 on a couple of grands worth of flight.

20. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

This whole process is pretty strange - i noticed that Hanh Air refunded me $364 for 2 domestic flights within 2 weeks of requesting it - yet Vietnam air is still pending for the international and I'm quoted 8-12 weeks. Why the difference? maybe cash flow? regardless its pretty insane. I dont know many things outside of buying a house that takes 12 weeks.