Qantas - Jetstar - Baggage

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Nikoy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Hey guys,

I am flying to queenstown via Melb from perth

So PER- MEL QF flight then MEL - ZQN is Jetstar.

I am gold with Qantas and platinum with Emirates so excess luggage wont be an issue on the QF legs.

But what about he JQ leg. Firstly will they transfer my bags its about a 8 hour layover. or will they make me take my bags then re-check them for the JQ flight then have JQ charge me some ridiculous fee?

Any idea

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Well, I just flew Qantas Perth-Syd then Syd-Auckland-Chile-Peru and had my baggage checked all the way through to Peru from Perth, first leg was Qantas and the rest was codeshared with LAN......had no issues at all :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Nikoy

Nikoy Member

I have done it before but with a shorter layover and JQ are notorieties for being harsh when it comes to baggage

4. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Are the flights under the same PNR/invoice?

5. OP
    OP
    Nikoy

Nikoy Member

yeah all booked through qantas.com so hoping it shouldn't be an issue.

6. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

They wont transfer your bags. Unsure about baggage limit.

7. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Gold FF on a Qantas-booked ticket should get the increased limit. If it's a codeshare flight the bags will be transferred too.

What's the flight number on your itinerary?

8. MacroP

MacroP Member

Qantas don't usually codeshare with Jetstar even though JQ flights do show up on their website - they're not codeshares however. Codeshare mean the flight will still have a QF number and the usual QFF status privileges apply most times. Qantas announce on the aircraft PA when you're landing that if you're next flight is on a Jetstar flight then you'll need to collect your bags. I hear this all the time domestically and can only assume it applies to international JQ connections as well

You get little QFF status privileges with Jetstar (onboard) though being able to use the QF lounges when flying Crapstar is good.

I did attempt to fly Crapstar once similar to the OP but the plane broke down in Wellington and they left me stranded and said come back tomorrow. I basically told them to fuck off and to give me a refund. QF helped me out in the end.

9. pksw

pksw Member

Any answer to the original question? My guess is you won't get increased baggage allowance with JT, but as this is a scenario that I may encounter I'm interested to find out. Might be worth asking at the Australian frequent flyer forum if you haven't left yet.

10. redslert

redslert Member

Hmm they do codeshare, I was a SYD<->ADL QF coded flight operated by Jetstar.

QF5766 Operated By Jetstar

11. MacroP

MacroP Member

Cool but most times it's not. If it's a codeshare with QF number then normal FF privileges apply. In the OP's case - no codeshare.

12. NuZo

NuZo Member

Best idea would be to ring the airline and ask.

Cheers,

Nuzo

13. OP
    OP
    Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Here was the problem

I purchased the extra baggage in advance for the JQ flight. When I checked in with Qantas they said they could transfer the bags but alas due to the fact that qantas couldn't see the the extra baggage I pre-purchased they couldn't transfer them.. Well they could but they would have had to charge the per kilo rate which was about $810 which I thought would have been a bad idea.

14. timsarg

timsarg Member

if you look on your ff login the jetstar flights aren't codeshare . They do not have a qf number hence you will have to collect your bags and checkin again . but then you can see an emirates flights does have a qf number

15. Tekin

Tekin Member

Also - are you seriously flying Per->Mel, Mel->ZQN? With an 8 hour layover??

Must have been one hell of a discount flight...

Anyways, sucks to hear about the process of swapping them over and frigging about. I've been platinum with qantas for a few years so they generally just take care of things like that now. I'm suprised they didn't just do it for a gold FF as well to be honest.

16. OP
    OP
    Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Flight already done

I choose the 8 hour layover not the first time doing the trip other option is a red-eye out of Perth then the same flight in the morning in Melbourne. I prefer the fly in early then get an airport hotel sleep then get the morning flight.