1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Quake Remastered

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Aug 20, 2021.

1. RnR

RnR Member

The game from 1996 is back better than ever! A few of the new features;
    • with up to 4K* and widescreen resolution support
    • enhanced models
    • dynamic and colored lighting
    • anti-aliasing and depth of field
    • both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”
    • go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Crossplay is supported among PC (controller-enabled), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.

On steam now for $AU15 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/ - although if you already own it, the updates are free from my understanding.

This weekend is fraggin' time :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    MUTMAN, rthy, Trizae and 3 others like this.
  2. power

power Member

3. breno

breno Member

Nice! I only finished a playthrough of this a couple of months ago. Will have to check this out! And revamped multilayer! We Def need more old school multilayer mechanics games out there and less skin skins skins

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

5. power

power Member

well that sucks.

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

It's honestly nothing you couldn't achieve with mods or third party launchers. Just tried it and it's nothing special, rather just making it easily accessible compared to the original release.

10. power

power Member

not everyone wants to tool about with mods and launchers, the out of the box experience should be good and making this accessible isn't something to sneeze at.

also come on mate, it's available on extra platforms as well, love to see the mod you have tucked away to launch this on PS5 or Switch then play split screen or against your friend who just got this update FOR FREE because they already own the game.

honestly, the amount of poo pooing over something that's got an asking price of $15.

the people in this comments section thankfully aren't as blase as yourself.

151528 likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Mods and third party launchers" *are* an accessibility issue. Not to OCAUers of course. But there's a lot of folks out there who find that way too complex.

Re-releases of old software are a good thing. Bringing old games to new generations is a good thing.

I can listen to music written 3000 years ago on Spotify. I can watch classic films online. All with a single click - and it's not a case of saying "these are the same as my old records / reel-to-reel film player". We need old games to be just as easy, because not everyone is OCAU level software/mod installer, and it's all too easy to alienate new generations from things that are old and "complex" (where "complexity" is entirely relative to experience).

Video games are culture, and culture is only preserved by making it easy for people to experience no matter what their tools or technical skill.

12. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

*sighs and pinches bridge of nose*

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, my point is if you've played a lot of Quake and are heavily into it already this isn't going to bring much to the table. I know there is still a very dedicated player base and I'd put somebody like metamorphosis in this category from some of the stuff he's involved with IIRC.

I'm not saying it shouldn't come out. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist. I'm not saying it's shit and people are shit if they enjoy it. I'm not saying it's shit because you can't PCMR the shit out of it. I'm not saying they shouldn't be charging $15 either. I'm not saying people on consoles shouldn't experience it either.

I'll rephrase this better by saying this doesn't bring anything special to -me-.

It'd be good if they can somehow drag the extra content into this that is kicking around. There are some exceptional map packs like Arcane Dimensions which should be experienced by many.

Lord Belial likes this.
  13. power

power Member

that awkward moment when you realise you aren't a part of the target audience.

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

And I'm 100% okay with that.

15. power

power Member

being that it's mod friendly, i'd say you will be a part of it anyway. same as how skyrim went SE when it came out all devs will switch to this version.

i love that they tossed in the Quake 64 port as a nice little freebie on top of all the other stuff there. I just don't see anything to be unhappy about.

16. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

As someone who loves doom/quake and replays them quite often, First impressions are: This is actually pretty good (for bethesda).

+ Steam finally include music files! \m/
    + dos/glquake/winquake files etc are still included and kept seperate, so you're not losing anything for a change.
    + default settings are tasteful. Ie: add some nice lighting and shadows etc, but keep chunky square pixels for particle effects / textures etc, rather than blur everything to hell and back like the voodoo days.
    + out of the box ultrawide/high refresh rate support.

- usual bethesda login crap layered on top
    - 8 million intro videos to skip (but hey, at least you can skip em i guess)

I'll call this a surprising win for bethesda. Now just add mouselook support to doom 64. Blah blah, sure the original didn't support it, but it feels like playing with a broken mouse without it and having the option doesn't hurt nobody. :p

RnR likes this.
  17. breno

breno Member

Oh yeah that's right. I couldn't bloody work out how to get the music going so played without it. Would love to play with music.. Trying to be a patient gamer dad but some things I don't have patience/time for anymore

18. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

The Quake 64 add-on is funny, didn't realise it adds a CRT filter and drops the resolution scale down to make it looks blurry AF like a 64.

I hope they add Team Fortress in somehow.

EDIT: Hang on DM7 is The Edge? Was that a Quake map originally or was it backported from Quake 2 into Quake? Okay it appears to be backport by Tim Willits.

This tends to be the case when it doesn't involve the Creation engine.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Certainly agreed. I'm much like you in this case in most of my gaming: half the things I celebrate and share with others in the world of retro gaming are things I'll never need or use, because I have still have access to the originals.

Fair enough that it gets reviewed from both sides of the coin - those who have access to the originals, and those that don't.

20. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

Any point in looking at this if you already play Quake through DarkPlaces?