Quake Remastered

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Aug 20, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

With the crossplay, potentially a bigger playing community if you are into online play.

2. Zabba

Zabba Member

My twitch rail gun days are long over. There is no way I will be able to jump/crouch while dodging a rocket to my feet. RPG and turn based is the flavour at my old age.

However, I am happy to see another generation enjoy the games I played on my youth.

<insert old man pic>

heller44, gav1ski, RnR and 1 other person like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Its like learning to ride a bike... you never forget... :)

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's like riding a bike... you get old and try to show off to the youngsters, hurting yourself and bruising your ego in the process.

5. BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa Member

I've been playin the QII RTX a bit.. anyone tried any of the RTX mods for original Quake?
    If this re-release aint all that flash ... what is the BEST way to play Quake on modern hardware? (with update gfx etc)

6. Trizae

Trizae Member

Man its so good! running around instagibbing remembering old secrets and blitzing everywhere like i'm doing a speedrun fantastic work my Nightdive

RnR likes this.
  7. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Watching the trailer reminded me just how good that soundtrack is.

RnR likes this.
  8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Personally, Quake 2 RTX looks absolutely horrible and should burn in hell, so my definition of "best" is probably miles apart from yours. :p But I'd say dark places is probably right up your alley. Here's a few quick screenshots for comparison without using any texture packs etc.

Ultimately, it gives people an easy option to play, and for those using other mods, it gives us legal access to the music files finally. Pretty hard to complain given it was a free update. :D

Quakespasm Spiked - As vanilla as possible, while having good support for high refresh rates etc.
    quakespasm-spiked-win64_2021_08_20_14_34_35_621.png
    quakespasm-spiked-win64_2021_08_20_14_44_35_634.png

Dark Places (High) - A subtle step up, without going too far off track. Dynamic shadows are vastly improved.
    darkplaces-sdl_2021_08_20_14_33_31_394.png
    darkplaces-sdl_2021_08_20_14_43_35_351.png

Dark Places (Full) - A bit over the top in areas, but can add a tonne of atmosphere.
    darkplaces-sdl_2021_08_20_14_33_40_785.png
    darkplaces-sdl_2021_08_20_14_43_42_098.png

Quake Remastered - It's a bit bright even on its darkest setting, but otherwise it looks nice and requires 0 effort.
    Quake_x64_steam_2021_08_20_14_34_13_964.png
    Quake_x64_steam_2021_08_20_14_44_17_405.png

elvis and RnR like this.
  9. power

power Member

i wanna try this out on a CRT :D

Flamin Joe likes this.
  10. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Neat that they've gone back and realigned the textures.

self_slaughter likes this.
  11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I see mention of dedicated servers but can't find any information them? If it was possible I was going to run something just for the hell of it so there is something there that people can join.

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This reminds me so much of Quake when I saw it for the first time. Was one of the lucky one's I guess to have a 3D accelerator back in 1997 and these screenshots, granted this probably has better quality textures and higher resolutions, look a lot like how I remember the accelerated version looking back then. :thumbup:

self_slaughter likes this.
  13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Hah, my first memories of Quake was on my 486 DX4/100, where it ran like an absolute bag of shit. Then I tried it on a mates fancy ass Pentium 133 where it was at least playable and decided the game not only looked like shit, but was boring as shit, and went back to playing Doom / Duke Nukem 3D anyway. bahaha

Team fortress however.... That won my heart and was the sole reason behind getting a voodoo 2 to make it pretty, followed by another voodoo 2 to make it faster, and eventually single player grew on me. :p

14. i_trin

i_trin Member

On a lighter note who was the tenuous in the early days who felt that 3 degrees of freedom wasn’t needed. Need a remake with ability to look up and down :)

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

It's interesting, but doesn't feel right. Something funny going on with the mouse input sampling or something- makes it feel very low fps even when the fps is very high. MP felt really bad, much worse than the OG.

And Bethesda account, really?

Overall though, more Quake is good, so I support this product.

16. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Noticed the update this arvo on Steam, a welcome surprise :thumbup:

Gave a Darkplaces build another whirl a few months ago and couldn't figure out the correct particle density to maintain >100fps so simply put it on the backburner... not enough hours in the day for all these throwback games.

This remaster uses the KEX engine so I have to learn the console syntax to convert my old autoexec.cfg from the original Quake for custom bind + alias QOL additions :Paranoid:

Adding -skipmovies to the launch options in Steam will fix this.

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

"Free" on gamepass for PC, though with limitations...

Yeah I can't seem to figure this out for the PC Gamepass release, I always preferred QuakeGL.
    Curiously there is now a folder here: "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" which contains Quake 2 and Quake 3 (also released on Gamepass), but no Quake.

Are you me?

I would kill for OG TF with cross-play and populated servers.

18. 151528

151528 Member

19. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Waiting patiently for a quake 3 remastered.

i_trin likes this.
  20. i_trin

i_trin Member

Just got on switch. Comes with quake64 too. And my bad this has 3 deg freedom unlike doom