Question about M.2 NVMe SSDs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ibace

ibace Member

As my motherboard supports this form of Solid State drive, about the only query I have is; if I was to set this up as my boot drive do I have to be running Windows 10, or would I be able to use it with a Windows 8 Operating System?

Would like the speed advantages of these type of installation, but nothing will make me go back to Windows 10...

2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

hell on your motherboard you'd probably find nvme drivers for windows 7. Had my z370 and m2 running mint on win 7.
    She'll be fine. :)

3. whiskyrichard

whiskyrichard New Member

I don't see why not.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Plus the minimalisation with not having drives hanging out. I haven't looked back since installing two on my main rigs motherboard.

5. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Thanks for the advice Fellas....will go ahead....

6. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I've been using a few z370 setups on Win 7 and Win 8.1 with NVMe no worries.

If you inspect the Win 10 driver bundles with many of the z370 boards you'll find that they're actually the full Win 7+ supported packages, but only advertised as Win 10 only. I've inspected and tested several, no issues to date.

Many of these boards actually launched / pre ordered with full driver suites for Win 7 and Win 8.1 too, but were then removed sometime later.

I actually found the difference for general use and gaming negligible so I went back to a trio of SSD's (because I need 6x Sata ports as well), but if you don't need all your ports then why not get that little bit extra.