Question/experiment for those who have a GTX 1080Ti on hand....

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Newbie12, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

Aim:
    To test whether you are able to run windows XP, either 32-bit or 64-bit, ideally both or at least the 64-bit counterpart using modded drivers natively of which instructions to mod the drivers yourself are here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

Method:
    Clean installation of operating system, as if you were starting fresh on a new build, ideally with Service Pack 3 and all its post updates for 32-bit or and Service Pack 2 and all its post updates for 64-bit. Driver version(s) you tried with should be noted down. Other hardware specification listings are welcome as they may affect the results.

Results:
    TBA

Now before anyone criticizes this in a judgemental way or ask *why*; this is for a dual boot system, and I am set on that - don't bother trying to convince me otherwise(Unless it 100% doesn't work and you have already carried out this exact test/experiment before yourself privately, in which case I will eventually have to drop the dual boot system at some point then...:(:upset:)!

I would of course do this my self, if anyone is happy to lend me their working Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti, any brand or and model, doesn't matter, as long as it's the 1080Ti lineup, or even the Titan XP(the one that came after the 1080Ti release not the early one) if you're so inclined(as I wouldn't mind having a Titan in one of my future builds...), to test with...

Might also have to do one for when nvidia's high end volta line releases too....assuming pascal works so I could decide whether I could jump there, pascal refreshes or straight to volta...

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

whats the goal behind it all?

i guess if i got off my arse i could maybe just dual boot and put windows XP except i'm rocking 2 of the old titan xp's

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Man i was pulling out the soldering iron as i opened this thread ready for some amazing TDP hax, disappointed

4. Darko

Darko Member

Don't ask for much do you

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Go to HWBot look up hardware - 1080ti and look through results for 3DMark01, 03, 06 and see if any are on XP. That would be the only reason to bother with a 1080ti on XP.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

One has to wonder.... why?

7. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Yep - good luck with that :thumbup:

Why on earth would anyone go to the effort of creating a new partition/installing new drive, installing a 16 year old operating system, screwing around to modify drivers and run tests for you? :wired:

8. terroristone

terroristone Member

because he's bored, pc's are not as fun as they were 10-20 years ago, everything is easy to do now days, any retard can overclock now.

T1

9. Darko

Darko Member

If he's bored then he should do it himself

10. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

To find out if this actually works or not...

I suppose if you don't have either the new Titan XP or a 1080Ti, the old Titan Xp will do.....but if you don't want to contribute either, that's fine too.

I'm sorry to disappoint...

Ohh...right.....why didn't think of that before posting this?! That would have answered my question.....or it could make more questions if there are no results...

...there's no filter to filter in only specific operating systems and video card(s) models in the ranking system... ..oh, because that information is not available on that site....

Even 3DMark's official bench site doesn't filter by operating systems, but can do so by video cards....so I have to individually trall through 600 results for 06, 83 for 05, and 110 for 03 manually on there...they don't have 01 or anything older there either...

You don't have to if you don't want to - I didn't say you *must* or else... :p This is just for my viewing pleasure....and knowledge too for anyone else who was wondering the same thing, if there is any...

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Buy a 2nd hand 1080ti, try it out, and if it doesn't work, should be able to sell it back at pretty much what you paid for it. Shouldn't take any longer than a day or two to test anyway. So value wouldn't have dropped in that time. And since you're already planning on buying a 1080ti anyway, then just do it. Best case scenario it works, worst case scenario you may lose postage cost.