Question regarding upgrading ram

Discussion in 'Memory' started by lxboston, Feb 22, 2019.

1. lxboston

lxboston Member

Hi

My work PC is currently running 2x 4gb 1600 ddr sticks. If I want the machine running 16GB, can I purchase any 1600 ddr stick (2x) or does it need to exactly match the existing?

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It doesn't even need to be 1600. In a perfect world, yeah, you would get identical sticks. In practice, a second pair that matches each other, but not your original pair, should work fine. You won't break any overclocking records, but functionally as a work PC, no problem at all. The system will run all 4 sticks at the speed of the lowest stick, so if you buy for arguments sake a pair of 1866, all four sticks will run at 1600, or if you buy a pair of 1333 sticks, then all 4 sticks will run at 1333.

For a work computer, assuming its not something that requires high performance and I assume since you are still running DDR3 this is not the case, any matching pair of DDR3 will be perfectly adequate. In fact, you could probably get away with not even adding a matched set. Just any random sticks would do, raising your total capacity. The difference between 1333, 1600, and 1866 DDR3 is negligible, and your PC will run all 4 sticks at the speed and timings of the slowest stick.

3. OP
    OP
    lxboston

lxboston Member

Perfect thanks for the explanation. Yeah correct, well the machine still feels pretty lightning quick, but I use a lot of web apps so Chrome chews a lot up, however I think expanding it to 16GB should help. No video editing or rendering or anything like that, photoshop is still quick however so I think I’ll still get good life out of this machine.