Questions on Flushing and Coolant

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kenny3011, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Kenny3011

Kenny3011 Member

Hi everyone :) Im going to be setting up my new watercooling on Monday and I had a few questions about the flushing and the coolant. My setup will be:

Apogee GTZ
    Swiftech MCP 655
    XSPC RX240
    XSPC RS120
    Swifech MCRES Rev2
    EK GTX285 Acetal

First thing I was confused about was the flushing of parts. Is it really necessary or will I be fine just using it right away? If its necessary what do I use to flush the parts? I can seem to find anything labelled distilled water at Woolies, only "pure" water, not sure if theyre the same thing :confused:

My other concern was the coolant Im going to use, the car radiator coolant I have right now is Tectaloy FormulaX 120 (PreMix), would it be ok to just use this coolant straight out of the bottle or would I have to dilute it? Also will I need to add any additives to the coolant to prevent corrosion/algae etc.?

Thanks for any help :)

2. Terminatus

Terminatus New Member

Deionised water or Demineralised water should do, its in the ironing section at the supermarket.

3. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

There is no harm in flushing the system prior to assembly although I must admit I have never done so. If you decide to flush you should only use the demineralized or distilled water. No point introducing contamination from your drinking water source.
    Tectaloy concentrate at a solution rate of 10% is the only coolant/corrosion inhibitor I have used on a consistent basis. I mix this with demineralized water as previously mentioned and add a couple of drops of algaecide to the completed system.

4. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Yes it is worth it for new radiators in particular. They often have solder bits sitting in the chamber and it is good to get rid of it before you start.

Use de-mineralised water as stated. I don't use coolent in my loop (it can cause buildup in your blocks and rads) .. just de-mineralised water and algaecide.