Quick Look: GIGABYTE'S PH67A-UD3 LGA1155 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Dec 21, 2010.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

This is a quick, picture heavy look at GIGABYTE's value for money PH67A-UD3 motherboard designed for Intel's upcoming Sandy bridge processors. This is an engineering sample so the product model markings on the motherboard are incorrect, nevertheless is pretty much what you should expect at retail come early 2011. Intel logo's and branding have been removed.

Product Boxing:

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

Accessories Included:

A fair set of accessories with a few manuals, driver and utility DVD, IO Backplate and a pair of SATA cables.

[​IMG]

Motherboard Front and Back:

The PH67A-UD3 features a variety of PCI-Express ports, while two PCI-Express x16 slots are included, the second only runs at x4 when in use. The other white PCI-Express 2.0 slots are x1. The motherboard conforms to a standard ATX from factor.

**This is an engineering sample so the product model markings on the motherboard are incorrect, it is indeed a PH67A-UD3.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

I/O Back Panel:

The back panel includes a set of ten USB ports, two being USB 3.0. A combo PS2 keyboard and mouse connector is present along with Gigabit Ethernet. Audio is comprised of an optical and coaxial connection, as well as a 6 port set of analogue jacks.

[​IMG]

LGA1155 Socket Area:

[​IMG]

External Connector Panel:

On the bottom of the motherboard we find a set of connections for front audio ports, a COM port, front USB connectivity, Gigabyte's own USB Charge port as well and the usual set of case connectors.

[​IMG]

South Bridge:

Due to moving a lot of functionality from the north bridge to the processor itself, only the south bridge is present that provides extra functionality for storage devices etc. The chipset utilised is marked as a BD82H67.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

CPU Power Delivery:

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

Dual BIOS and SATA Ports:

Gigabyte employs the use of a dual BIOS setup reducing the chance of bad BIOS flashes. SATA connectors included two SATA 6.0Gb/s ports while the other two are rated at 3.0gb/s. RAID levels of 0, 1, 5, 10 are present as well.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

LAN and Audio Chips:

The Realtek ALC892 chip on the left provides all the integrated audio, whereas the Realtek RTL8111E chip provides Gigabit Ethernet connectivity.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

Super I/O and PCI Chips:

On the left we have iTE's IT8728F Super I/O chip for hardware monitoring, and to the right the IT8892E chip that provides the PCI functionality for this motherboard.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

USB 3.0 Chip:

The two USB 3.0 ports are run off this NEC D720200F1 chip present in near all motherboards sporting USB 3.0 functionality.

[​IMG]

Power Management:

Gigabyte have included a set of four LED's displaying when phases are being utilised. The iTE IT8275E controller takes care of the phase switching on this motherboard.

There is a chip next to it labelled as ISL6364, unfortunately no info can be found regarding this specific model, but we believe it has some PWM controlling functionality like we see in the ISL6322G chip in the third photo, and most likely a part linked to Intel VRD12 specifications.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

Power connectivity:

8-pin EPS and 24-pin ATX power connectors are present and located in easy to access areas.

[​IMG]. [​IMG]

Well that's the quick preview. Cya! :lol:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. CM96

CM96 Member

Nice board & nice overview :)

But the one thing that confuses me is it's name - Is it a P67 or H67 chipset?

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Apologies for the confusion, It's a PH, i did make a quick note that it was an engineering sample so the naming is incorrect :) But it is a PH67A.

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Ultradurable Classic = rubbish.

Can't develop interest in these low end boards, the marketing is almost deceptive. No low RDS(on) mostfets, no ferrite core chokes? no thanks.

I'm going to give Sandy Bridge a miss altogether I think.

5. Smakked

Smakked Member

Its just a board nothign special here, and why do they use full 16x pci-e slot when the actual bandwidth is x4 see the picture on the bottom of the board.

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Actually if they advertise it as 16x, then it is, its just that they may not have all the power pins but should still be 16 (full lanes or whatever you call it)

7. spazowacky

spazowacky Member

Quite nice for a low end budget board.
    I've gotta say that I rekon that the gigabyte budget boards are usually a cut above the competition's.
    Also, I read on the gigabyte website that the bios on their new boards are 3TB+ ready so I'm not sure if that means it is a uefi bios or not but if it is, I can imagine them making a big splash about it at launch to grab everyones attention.

8. Autti

Autti Member

9. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

It warms my heart to see an absence of FDD and IDE connectors. :D

10. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Thought that might be obvious...
    It's so a physical x16 card can fit but it will be restricted to x4 bandwidth. Which is fine for lower end cards or if your using that slot for a Physx card etc :thumbup:

11. NNNG

NNNG Member

The GA-P67A-UD3R does:

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3650#ov

What's the difference between a PH67 and a P67?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  12. Smakked

Smakked Member

i see these boards are forsale at a few places now but no cpu as of yet.