Quick NBN question

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by TheAvatar, Aug 6, 2014.

1. TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

Hey All,

I just moved and am on the waiting list to get NBN fibre connected, lucked out and moved in to a house that had FTTP :)

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the NTD has to be mounted to a wall? All the info I can find looks as though it is always mounted, but as I am renting I don't think I can do that without permission.

TIA

EDIT: Looks like I don't need an NTD cause I am on TransACT fiber and they have different gear, so all good ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Even if it does need mounting I can't imaging any landlord having an issue with it since it's set to become the new standard anyway. They may have views on where its installed but I would doubt the "IF" would be a concern (unless they don't want to pay for it (assuming there is any cost) or have some sort of moral objection).

3. OP
    OP
    TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking, would be insane for a landlord to decline it. I don't think there is a cost involved but it turns out I don't need it anyway, just need a router cause I am on different gear.

4. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

5. Alexmartin11

Alexmartin11 Member

Yup it's mounted on the wall. Most landlords will approve the installation since it's a big asset to their property if the NBN is already installed. Once you move out for an instance, it will be easily occupied.

6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

TransACT will still need to install an NTD, if there is not one already.

7. OP
    OP
    TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

Looks like it isn't the new NBN box, it is one of the older TransACT fiber boxes so all I need is a router. That segment of the network has been sold to NBN Co. but they are using the existing gear. Though I have heard some talk about maybe having to have a sparky come in to move the earthing from the box that the fiber gear is in over to the electricity box but I guess I have to wait and see what they say when they come in for the install :/

8. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

So, aren't you able to connect to TransACT straight away, rather than wait for NBNCo to swap over the NTD?

9. OP
    OP
    TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

Cause the network was sold to NBN Co. I am at their mercy :(

10. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

That's really crappy.

Out of curiosity, have you tried iinet to see if they can get around it?

11. OP
    OP
    TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

No they cant, the whole thing was a mad run around. iiNet telling me to go to TransACT, them saying to go back to iiNet. Looks like there are some teething issues with the cobranding. Just hope the install goes ok or I will lose my shit :p

12. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

That's really unfortunate. Having said that, it's worth the wait!

I'm on TransACT FTTP waiting for cutover to NBN. Apprently it's not going to happen in my area for a few weeks yet.

Edit: As for the install, given that the service is already there, it should go smoothly. It should simply be a matter of swapping out the NTD.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. OP
    OP
    TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

Oh, maybe I am being put on their fttp... This has been a confusing process, will just wait and see I guess :p

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Very fast shit at least :wired::wired::wired:

15. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Hah, good luck then. I hope your fibrey-goodness comes soon.

16. Alexmartin11

Alexmartin11 Member

Why not look for a provider that can supply you ADSL while waiting for the NBN. Most providers can switch you over to NBN once the area is ready for activation and the contract should not be breech.

17. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

He is unlikely to have any copper in his suburb.