1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick question for all the guitarists out there?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by FaT BaStArD, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Dazatwrk

Dazatwrk Member

I started like a lot of other people, I imagine. Learning my favourite solos note for note. Took me weeks to learn Master of Puppets back in the 80's! Haven't learnt a solo since the 80's but the days I spent doing that were very valuable. There's mags and tabs out there now that take the work out of actually learning them now so there's no excuse not to.

2. bardan

bardan Member

Start Simple. Major chords, minor chords, one or two scales.

I've been playing for 16 years and THE best advice I can give is buy a metronome and keep in perfect time even if you have to do it very slow. Once you've got it, bump up the speed a little and practice till you got that, then keep upping the speed. It works with scales and chord changes. Good Luck!!!

Stick with it for a while and you'll begin to reep the rewards of your practice and enjoy playing a whole lot more.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. Liam.

Liam. Member

i probably couldn't show you many chords, but i can play them... i just play, and i play stuff i like, i write stuff i like.

you just have to get past the shit...at times boring stage of learning, once you get past that stage its a lot easier, and with more practice you're just going to get better.

i don't play shred stuff, i do tremolo pick a fair bit though :)

i took me about a year to get past that stage, though i only play when i want to play, sometimes 10mins a day, others hours, and sometimes a day or week without playing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. trickma

trickma Member

If you want to be a good guitarist then play the damn thing for hours every day. If you don't find that somewhat fun and rewarding over time then maybe it's not for you.

This can be applied to basically anything in life. :lol:

5. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

If you want to be a good musician, listen to yourself.