QuickBooks Enterprise

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Rea:Per, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

We are looking at changing our finincial software and our accountant has reccomended QuickBooks Enterprise (as it's what she is used to)

anyone with experience on Quickbooks Enterprise. is it good, bad or ugly?

we currently have MYOB and it's a dog in multi user mode across the network and their only solution is to use terminal services.

are there any other solutions i should have a look at because as it will go management will choose something that I will then have to provide user support on.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

lol.

quickbooks is worse than myob.

More information about what you actually do with MYOB, how many users, etc is needed.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Myobs response was terminal services? What version are you running? If you don't use enterprise Myob will not offer support, this is despite them telling us for 18 months to put our clients on Terminal Servers for mutli user mode and going so far as to change their support docs when I pointed them to it and it clearly said to use terminal servers. Since v19.6 I think is when they pulled support.

Avoid Exonet, it was so buggy for one of our clients and would often crash 5 - 6 times day, support eventually said they do not know what caused it. We moved them to our hosted environment and it was better but still buggy

4. OP
    OP
    Rea:Per

Current solution is just MYOB Premier 19.7 (on dedicated virtual server)
    we have a terminal server but getting local users to RDC for MYOB seems stupid to me.

5-10 concurrent users (10-20 total)
    multiple branches
    inventory
    rental invoicing
    time and attendance (although we are looking at a software package specifically for this)

I have heard that MYOB Exo is a pain elsewhere also.

5. Daemon

Daemon Member

Make sure you check out Xero (www.xero.com).

I'm not sure on the size / requirements of your financial area, but everyone from sole traders through to million dollar companies I know of who moved to Xero have loved it.

Although I haven't used it yet, Saasu (www.saasu.com) also gets a good writeup.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

It can seem stupid all you want but the second you remove ethernet separating the company file and the app MYOB works fine.

ANYTHING else you do will cost you a lot more money.

To put it plainly.

Put the company file on the RDS
    Put MYOB on the RDS
    Run MYOB on the RDS
    It runs basically like it does on a single user machine.

As an aside, if you're still using 19.7 - you're paying people wrong as of Jan 1m, unless your accounts people use taxtables provided by the ATO. 19.8 is the current release in the "non 2012" stream.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    Rea:Per

yes but this also costs additional RD cals & office Cals. not to mention its just not the same experience for the user as being on the local computer.

It's like saying the drivers door in ur car is stuck shut. just get in and out of the window. no problem.

well no, there is still a problem and the "solution" is a bit fu#*ed really.

Sorry to sound like a pain. but this is the same crap that the myob support staff feed you.

speed in multiuser mode across a network have been an issue for MYOB for a while now and they have done nothing about it. sorry but that's how u loose customers.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

Unless you move end users to your RDS completely.

Then it IS their experience - and typically this is what i do for MYOB users who need concurrent users in their company file.

There is advantages to running off an RDS, but in general it costs you 15-20% more in capital outlay to go that way VS individual desktops.

But again, MYOB is the incumbent platform - its your line of business tool. So unless you're going to suck it up and move to another product (and deal with their shit not to mention user training etc) I would be putting this forward as a very real option.

And MYOB is shedding customers left and right. Xero is raping them right now (I have 2 accountants i service) and almost no-one is recommending people go with MYOB.

But yes, you're right MYOB has always been shit with Multi-user access - and by all accounts, even though MYOB 2012 is MSSQL based, its still shithouse.

But again, EVERYTHING else that is actually better (Quickbooks is worse. It really is. Query 20-30 accountants about it.) is 2-3 times the price of MYOB - more if its a product that needs services to implement.

So the reality is that you either change your requirements (unlikely), change your expectations (you probably don't want to) or optimise it as best you can - put to you by people who are experienced in dealing with it's shit (us).

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

incorrect, 19.8 was to support windows 8. Tax tables get released each financial year, not mid financial year so pays are ok.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. NSanity

NSanity Member

I thought it was the ending of the flood levy or something?

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

We are running 19.7 and tax is ok. Checked myobs site and can only see if nfo relating to windows 8

12. Gecko

Gecko Member

• Xero or Saasu are well worth a look (we evaluated them recently, but they weren't powerful enough for our needs). There are plenty of addons out there if you need more functionality.
    • MYOB is best to avoid, MYOB Exo is slightly better than the standard MYOB, but still not great (and very pricey).
    • QuickBooks is in the same camp as MYOB in my opinion.
    • Attache are showing promising signs for their upcoming versions, but that is still some time away and we've had enormous problems with their current versions.
    • Jim2 is quite nice when it comes to an internally-hosted solution. Quite cheap as well. I had a very good look at it a few months ago, sadly it didn't quite fit into our workflows without extensive modifications.

13. koopz

koopz Member

simPRO is worth looking into, though it's more than just something that takes the MYOB headaches away.

14. anthonyberry

anthonyberry Member