Quickest way to get a camera streaming via the internet

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by biatch, Mar 27, 2020.

1. biatch

biatch Member

Hi folks, what little devices are out there at the moment to get a camera accessible remotely from over the internet?

It's to set up in the middle of a paddock incase the country goes into hard lockdown and we're not allowed to leave the house. No power available in the paddock so it'll need to be wired to a solar panel, battery and charge controller.

I'm thinking of a little raspberry pi with an lte shield but I can't find any lte/4g modules to go with it, so thought I'd ask around. Are there any other options? Is there anything pre-built? Ideally not too expensive as there'll be nothing to stop anyone from walking into the paddock and just taking it home with them.

thank you.

2. wwwww

wwwww Member

IP camera connected to a 4G modem

3. OP
    OP
    biatch

biatch Member

I...... hadn't considered skipping the PC in the middle and just hooking the camera up to the modem. I was going to go for a pi and 4g shield but could probably repurpose a 4g modem/router and convert it to run off 12v supply.

How do you access the footage? Just VLC it?

4. evade

evade Member

You might not be able to access an IP cameras web front end as most 4G services are behind CGnat, so no port forwarding..Something to consider. If you could get the camera to post the images to something, might be a way around it.

5. power

power Member

drone, hahaha

or mount a phone on something.