QX9770 Previews - "Intel Plays Dirty"?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Agg, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I just posted some info, thoughts and a whole pile of (p)reviews here on the news page. Basically Intel have sent out a pre-release CPU to be covered on the same day as AMD's Phenom launch, for obvious reasons. It's an interesting tactic by Intel, who previously have avoided this kind of thing for fear of hurting sales of current products.

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

AMD's been sticking it to Intel for years. Good on Intel for changing their marketing strategy....

3. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Yes, it's dirty, like business is. AMD has done these paper launches for years. And furthermore, as I can tell from my own experience, there isn't anything special with the QX9770. I almost guarantee that EVERY QX9650, a model that is already retailing and available since 12 November can run at 3200 MHz and with a system bus speed of 400 MHz: The QX9770 is practically already existing.

4. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

I'd say rather than having to worry about current lines selling which they had to do in the past they can now go for the jugular and take the wind out of AMDs sails.

Rather than play defensively they are now playing aggressively. Good on them

5. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

Intel smells AMD blood and has an industrial grade nail gun aimed at AMD's coffin :)

6. Torment

Torment Member

I almost thought you said Rail Gun for a second, I was having flash backs of Quake :)

Is it really a paper launch when they are handing out samples ? Just curious thats all ?

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

you are right, it's not a paper launch. It's a teaser, a PR move. But the product is basically already existing. It's a slightly higher clocked QX9650.

8. TMM

TMM Member

ah yes, just another product to please the people with deep pockets and no knowledge of how to overclock :)

9. kieran

kieran Member

I just hope that AMD has some major Ace up its sleeve for future core architecture designs which will make their CPUs the go-to chips in the future. I'm no loyal fan of either AMD or Intel (currently using C2D E6600), but if AMD ever go under, good-bye cheap processors, fast product cycles and innovation!! :upset: :upset: :upset:

10. c0de

c0de Member

Agreed...

Keep em mean, lean and hungry. I've swapped camps so often I've lost count; Viva la competition. :thumbup:

11. Pazu

Pazu Member

From what I can see, I think my next machine will be Intel based. On the same day as the AMD launch, Intel is basically saying, "well, we also have this cpu that's faster and better than yours, and it'll be here in a few months time."

12. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

As demonstrated, you don't need much knowledge to over clock a Penryn based processor. It's a build in function. :lol:

13. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Intel is just kicking AMD when they're down.

AMD were the same with the Socket A/S939 chips. Completely owning Intel for years.

14. sandeep

sandeep Member

OK, now how can AMD revive from this pathetica K10? It seems K10 is not that efficient nor can it overclock that well. So, by the looks of things AMD needs a completely different architecture??? K20?

On the other hand, both companies are exploring into multi-core and raw speed, so I guess we will see more of multi-threaded applications?? thats the way to go perhaps....divide the task on per CPU basis.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  15. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

A paper launch refers to the launch of a product that is not available to the general public at the time, just because they send out samples to news sites doesn't mean its available to the general public

16. Akimbo

Akimbo Member

SOMEONE SAVE ATi !!!!!:upset:

17. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Don't you mean AMD :p
    AMD own ATI.

18. youngpro

youngpro Member

i dont really agree that a qx9770 is going to be a 9650 with 400fsb, ive got a feeling it will be like the jump from B3 to G0, increased fsb, cooler temperatures, more refined chips, higher fsb and clocks... thats what were hoping for anyway right?

my qx9650 is on the way, if it does 5.6ghz ill be happy, but hoping for 5.7 3d benchable of course =)

19. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

yes, they would need.

But in 12 month we will already get a completely new micro-architecture from Intel. We can expect that Nehalem will top the current Penryn performace again. It seems AMD cannot catch up anymore with Intel's development speed.

The 9970 comes with 100% identical micro architecture and stepping like the 9650. The only exception is a different "multiplier x FSB frequency". And why should a QX9770 at 3200 MHz run cooler than a QX9650 at 3000 MHz? :confused: It's just the other way around: The previews actually indicate, that the 9770 has a substantially higher power consumption - as to be expected. In addition the mem controller needs more wattage because of the higher frequency.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2007
  20. Phreeky

Phreeky Member

Yoink ATI off the sinking AMD ship he meant ;)