R.I.P. Chromecast Audio (2015-2019)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by boneburner, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

Google announces the death of the Chromecast Audio dongle.

"Our product portfolio continues to evolve, and now we have a variety of products for users to enjoy audio. We have therefore stopped manufacturing our Chromecast Audio products. We will continue to offer assistance for Chromecast Audio devices, so users can continue to enjoy their music, podcasts and more."

Err.... ok - I guess. While still in stock in many places, there is no more coming in - so expect stocks to dwindle. The device has been on heavy discount often in the USA and has been priced at 15 bucks since black friday. Here in Oz it is, of course, still $60.

via: 9to5google

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM
  2. clonex

clonex Member

im suprised they actually sold them but i guess its cheaper than some BT dongle for AV receivers that manufacturers sold for several hundred dollars.

3. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

A an inexpensive and unique product that filled a (still huge) gap between analogue and wireless, which manages to drag older gear into the 21st century. It's main crime - and this is alluded to in their statement - is that it is not smart enough!. And by smart I mean it wont harvest them reams of data like their Google Assistant enabled devices.

elvis and clonex like this.
  4. srey

srey Member

Damn. So does Google now allow you to treat the normal Chromecast as an audio device?

I only ever got an audio because Google home refused to see the standard Chromecast as a device for audio, so saying "play album X on Chromecast" wouldn't work with play music.

Bought them for my parents and brother though to work with an existing stereo amplifier and a set of monitors, shame they're not gonna make them anymore.

5. clonex

clonex Member

i used spotify for few hours on the tv then took ages for the burn in to dissapear.
    Really needs a moving background or can it be plugged into the back of a hdmi input on a avr and controlled thru a ipad?

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm a bit baffled by this. Google's suggestion seems to be that I should not use my nice, warm, grunty analogue sound system with a cheap, digitally-connected dongle, and instead replace the lot with a tinny little speaker in one of their smart devices.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Is it just me, or is everyone listening to audio through shitty portable speakers these days? I thought that died back in the 80's boom box era?

7. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

It's bloody disgraceful. HiFi is dying in favor of some shitty little bluetooth speaker or soundbar.

Perko likes this.
  8. srey

srey Member

I had the standard Chromecast in th back of the Avr and just used it without the tv on. Problem was that Google home wouldn't accept it as a music device.

Not the end of the world, but what's the point of a smart assistant that won't assist me?

9. samo

samo Member

I would bet money that a very high percentile of people are playing music on bluetooth speakers whether it be indoors, outdoor entertaining etc. I dont know anyone my age who has a set of (what I would consider) proper speakers.

10. clonex

clonex Member

it would still stream spotify?

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That's fine, but surely the Chromecast Audio can live in harmony with shitty all-in-one speakers?

There's this odd trend lately where people seem to want "one solution to rule them all". Why not both?

12. srey

srey Member

Don't recall trying Spotify specifically, but play music and TuneIn definitely worked if you manually started the cast, IE. Open the app on phone and cast to the Chromecast.
    The limitation I ran into was specifically around Google home treating the standard CC as a video device, so refusing to send audio only to it.

13. Hater

Hater Member

I think peoples desire for less wires and less effort is greater than the desire for good sounding gear these days :(

Then again it makes sense for a lot of people who only play the latest boring crap though.

callan and flu!d like this.
  14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Ahh the struggle.

I bought a Sony mini system a while back for it's AirPlay features because I was on Apple Music at the time and we had an old iPad stuck on the front of the fridge and dedicated to playing music. We actually have a number of different AirPlay capable speakers still in use in various rooms too.

Over the years we have moved to Google Music and Google home devices and while I could have kept using the iPad to send music to the speakers a ChomeCast Audio fit the bill a little nicer and (thanks to the Google Home Mini and Hub plays everything without touching (other than turning the device on and adjusting volume).

It would be nice if they simply integrated the two devices and provided an audio out port on the chrome cast so you could choose to use it for video or audio only. At least then it's a single SKU to keep everyone happy.

15. Falkor

Falkor Member

I was using a Chromecast Audio until Xmas when I bought myself some Sonos kit to replace it, sad to see it go it was a good device.

16. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I have the same setup and spotify would work ok but spotify would often shit itself on my 'music phone' when trying to control it. I got a Logitech BT adapter and it's been fine since.

17. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

All the new stereo units now have HDMI inputs. Plus people have always been able to get a HDMI to AV converted to use on a normal Chromecast, essentially turning it into a CC audio. Which is probably what caused low sales and the discontinuation.

What made the CC Audio different was that you could pair multiple ones together to make a mesh audio system. But now the Chromecast version 2 and 3's can do that.

Really the only people who lose out is anyone using the CC audio and really wanted to use an optical line, since it was the only product with optical output.

18. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

This might have been a limitation with the assistant some time ago, but it definitely works now. I ask my home to play music on the Chromecast daily. You can set up Google Play music as your default player in the Home app.