1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P Olympus - Company Exits Camera Business

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by boneburner, Jun 24, 2020.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

We know the drill, falling profits, smart phones yadda yadda yadda - but market forces claim another victim, as Olympus sells off their camera division to focus on other parts of their business that still makes money - like medical equipment.

The company issued a full statement:

"Today the Olympus Imaging Business has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Japan Industrial Partners, Inc. (JIP). According to the MOU, both companies are entering into further discussions about the potential transfer of Olympus’ long-standing imaging business to JIP by the end of 2020.

JIP is a strong investment fund with a track record of success and has maximized the growth of many brands. JIP will use the innovative technologies and solid brand position of Olympus within the market, while also improving the profit structure of Olympus’ imaging business.

We understand you may have many questions, all of which we will work to answer in the upcoming weeks. We ask for your patience: we believe this is the right step to preserve our brand’s legacy, the products, and the value of our technology. Olympus sees this potential transfer as an opportunity to enable our imaging business to grow and delight both longtime and new photography enthusiasts. Olympus and JIP will continue discussions, and we are committed to providing full transparency about our intentions as the plans solidify.

We are grateful to all our customers for their loyalty and support for our products, and their passion for photography. During the ongoing discussions, Olympus Imaging will operate with business as usual: we will continue to work on innovative initiatives for our customers and we will launch new products as planned."

news via: digital camera world

spokeydokey likes this.
  2. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

NismoR31 ....I don't know what to say.

3. power

power Member

I can't say i'm surprised they haven't really marketed the brand too much in recent years.

4. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

*Checks it's not 1st April* Nope.

Shit.

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Didn't they have some other recent scandal?

6. Hater

Hater Member

Argh I wonder what this means for MFT....

7. mtma

mtma Member

Death, the second time.

I guess it's down to how Panasonic are doing - they only just released a full frame camera too. There is some degree of mft sensor adoption in industry for industrial cameras and some space for budget professional video, but if they're the only ones left holding the mft baby it might be the case that they will let it die a natural death in the consumer area.

ED- I wonder if they could technically cram an APS-C sized sensor in a mft mount?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. Hater

Hater Member

BlackMagic has gone to Canon mount for their cameras equipped with a Super 35 sensor, i'm assuming if they would have stuck with MFT mount they would have...

I know that's more APS-H rather than APS-C but y'know

9. Zee

Zee Member

Their recent releases are somewhat disappointing. Same old sensor from 4 or so years ago, sure, some extra processor power and software trickery, sure, but at a price point that brings tears tot he eyes when compared to Fuji, or even Sony and it's FF offerings.

I say this as an M4/3 user and fan. I have not seen a reason to upgrade my original E-M1.

Z...

herzeg and theSeekerr like this.
  10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Oh man. Time to archive that meme

spokeydokey likes this.
  11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Ditto. I'd upgrade, but the Mk II and Mk III are priced so far above the original...for the prices they want it makes more sense to move to Sony or Fuji.

I love my m43 glass and I don't want to leave it behind, but every now and then I consider buying into another system "just for landscapes and maybe some video" and if I ever do realistically it's all over for the Oly.

12. Zee

Zee Member

I'm pretty much in the same position, and yeah, current pricing is mental. I remember getting the E-M1 with 12-40 Pro for abot $2k (less, I think, actually). I love the glass I have, but if I were looking at a new body, it would probably be a Fuji XT-4. It has everything I liked about the E-M1, and a larger sensor that is 3:2.

Will probably just keep what I have until it breaks, and then sell off the lenses. Though, who knows, maybe the new owners will right the ship.

Z...

13. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Well, colour me perplexed; that 150-400mm is a nice looking lens...

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah if you're already in the system probably, but maybe a few years too late.
    I think at $4000-$6000 USD it will be a big ask considering you can go aps-c or full frame with/without a TC and get the same or better results

Zee likes this.
  15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I don't want to go in the cart! I'm feeling much better....

16. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

please correct title; exiting the camera business is misleading. likely the name would transfer under licence to still make cameras, and a third owner will be sought so that R&D can then resume.
    Its not all gloom and doom yet, some stagnation will result, but this year is the perfect time for restructures.
    So for consumers new product updates will be glacially slower (business as normal for m4/3).

17. mtma

mtma Member

Once the deal is completed it the new owners will waste no time to get down to bottom line beautification. At that point it will become blatantly obvious whether or not m4/3 is part of their future.

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Well, that will depend on what JIP are actually getting...if I was Olympus I'd be inclined to find another division to attach the lens designers to, even if they have no interest in building lenses they could do design work under contract as a nice little earner.