R.I.P Thread

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Break the Cycle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. aXis

aXis Member

R.I.P to my foster dogs Gary and Ryder. :(

I've been fostering Gary for SAFE for 9 months, worked hard to fix up an bunch of his issues and he'd made an awesome turnaround. I was quite attached and trying desperately to avoid foster fail. Had Ryder for 2 months and he was a dopey but lovable goofball. They loved playing and were generally OK, but had small fights regularly because Ryder didnt know how to respect boundaries with food. I never thought it was too serious and it's not like these dogs had a lot of care options.

A few days ago i got a third foster dog Noah (staffy cross) who had been returned due to snapping at kids, initially he was very submissive but the dynamic changed in the pack and a bit of aggression started stated to creep in.

Friday (13th!!) arvo i come home to find Gary laying dead in the backyard, dead from dog bite around his neck. We immediately suspected the new dog Noah as he had a poor track record and had been increasing in aggression, in the balance of probabilities he was the culprit. SAFE came and picked him up and took him to the vets to be put to sleep. As I was getting over the shock of it all I realised I had video surveilance in the back yard, so spent the next half an hour trying to pinpoint the incident.

Eventually I found it. About an hour after I left the house, Ryder chased down Gary unprovoked, got him on the ground, latched on to his neck and mauled him for about 7 minutes. It was heartbreaking and an absolute mind fuck. I called up the SAFE rep just in time, just as the vet was putting the catheter into Noah's leg. So, we did a swap and sent Ryder off to the vets.

What a farking disaster. One dog killed that I was really close to, another dog PTS that I liked and feel really let down by, topped off with feeling guilty about accusing the third dog and nearly ending his life.

Absolutely gutted :(

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Rip Gary and Ryder. Where was Noah when the incident took place?

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm so sorry, axis. It's bad enough when you lose a pet, but to do so in such traumatic circumstances makes it that much worse. It was a perfectly reasonable assumption that Noah had caused it, and you were lucky that he was saved, so don't feel guilty. Anyone could have made the same mistake.

4. aXis

aXis Member

Thanks all.

Once the fight stared Noah stayed a metre or two away, watching but not involved. It was quite a relief to see that he didn't get dragged into pack behavior.

It was a very different household Saturday and Sunday, very quiet now. Noah was really well behaved, stayed close to me and slept most of the time.
    On Sunday I took him down to the local markets where SAFE had a stall, he was well behaved there too and friendly with other dogs, adults and kids. It looks like someone is really keen on adopting him, so that's a good outcome.

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

Our little Stella is getting close.. Had her for over 16 years
    She's having some trouble breathing, she won't settle.
    drinking/peeing lots.
    moaning and groaning at times....
    [​IMG]
    Bringing me to tears just thinking of it :(
    Maybe friday...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

So devastated right now...
    RIP Stella :(

7. scips

scips Member

Goddamn ninjas cutting onions.

Hope I've got another 15years before I go through any of it.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

So sorry for your loss.

9. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Sorry for you loss. You've done the right things for Stella, no more pain. :(

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

Thanks guys

11. jack_son77

jack_son77 Member

Rest in peace our beautiful little angel Barry.

You were such a kind and loving soul, and the best dog anyone could have asked for.

01/01/2006-21/01/2017

Goodbye to our best friend - We'll love you and miss you forever.

[​IMG]

Kidney failure took him from us far too soon. Such a tough little guy.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

So sorry for your loss Jack_son, he was a beautiful dog.

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

I feel for you Jack_Son

14. callan

callan Member

Know all about losing loved furry humans to kidney failure: it's ghastly.

Very sorry to hear :(

Callan

15. bennyg

bennyg Member

Just put this big guy to permasleep. Zac the 14 year old Merrima.

[​IMG]

He reached a ripe old age. Beautiful temperament. Nearly bought it a decade ago when he tore the ACL in one of his back legs and the cost of the surgery was immense with low success rate due to his size. But we nursed and rehabbed him back to walking health which was a good story.

But he just got weaker and weaker on the back legs over the last year and lost a lot of weight from his peak of 50kg. Then in the heatwave this week he couldn't get up or even hold himself steady to reach down to drink which we noticed too late so his kidneys started going. The vet confirmed his pO2 had started dropping so his lungs were starting to go and we decided to end it before he got any worse. At least he was able to enjoy his last scritches and pats without being in pain :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  16. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm sorry, bennyg. :(

17. M0r4h3us

M0r4h3us Member

RIP Zac..

i'm sorry for the loss your mate.

best wishes bennyg .

18. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Sounds like my old dog phantom, he's about 14 and like your pup he is getting very skinny now and increasingly wobbly on the back legs but he can still walk ok

I'm sorry for your loss, it's never easy having to say goodbye to a pet :( *hugs*

19. bennyg

bennyg Member

Thanks

Love em while they're still here... The stoic big guy was still able to walk around the block without stopping - a km or so - only a couple weeks ago.

Like the vet said, it's often much harder with big animals because their mind is still there even though the body is gone.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  20. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Well, fuck Fridays :upset:. Lion (12yo) has to be put down this afternoon - he has "wet" FIP (always fatal, usually within a few days to a couple of weeks).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He was found, thrown away in a dumpster, at about 12 weeks old with 4 siblings, behind my sister's employer. Daughter's 'first pet of her own' grew to >8kg with a purr like an earthquake yet a silent miaow. The most gentle cat I've known unless you had socks on your feet; then they were fair game.

He's had diabetes for two-three years, which caused sunken hocks (and he recovered). Been on special diabetic and hypo-allergenic food and medications for continual foul stench diarrhoea; possibly the earliest symptoms, but it was thought to be allergies.

Went off his food a week ago, difficulty breathing. First vet dismissed it as a throat blockage, second drained his lungs (yesterday). Trouble breathing again today, can walk but no energy.

Farewell Lion, we love you.