R.I.P Thread

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Break the Cycle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. power

power Member

What a little battler, against the odds too - so happy to hear he had a loving family and sad to hear he's gone.

Our cat has very mild diabetes too and when it's diagnosed it's a bit of a freakout.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry about Lion. :(

3. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Thanks. Hopefully we get to a reasonable level of over shortly. Diabetes sucks.

4. thommo101

thommo101 Member

Sorry to hear about Lion, David. After a rough start in life you certainly gave him an amazing home for 12 years!

Sadly we lost our Helo suddenly on Monday night. She arrived on our doorstep (literally) 4 years ago. Maybe 6-7 years old at the time. Scrawny and hungry. After leaving food and water out for her, we eventually succumbed and adopted her (well, she adopted us!).

Click to view full size!

She wasn't the healthiest of kitties. After a year and a half we discovered she had hyperthyroidism, which meant daily pills for the rest of her life. Then 2 years ago we had a scare with a white-tail spider bite to her face. Luckily she recovered from that, but was left with a large liquid filled cyst below her left eye.

But, I think she was happy. She always had food, a warm bed and lots of pats from us. I'm glad we were able to give her a comfortable retirement home.

Helo followed my wife home one day, and stayed ever since:

Click to view full size!

Sadly, without our knowledge, Helo had developed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), a thickening of the heart muscle. On Monday evening, she was laying on the couch behind my head, when I heard her slip off and barely catch herself. I initially thought 'silly kitty', but then she started panting heavily. Apparently this was the moment a clot lodged in her aorta, which began to block the blood supply to her organs and limbs.

We rushed to the vet, but there was no real option but to sadly put her to sleep.

I was surprised how hard it has hit us. It is amazing how much of your daily routine involves interaction with your cat. You only notice when they're gone.

So it is sad, but we are slowly accepting it. I have to say, Google Photos' automatic backing up of photos and videos has been amazing. Initially hard to look at, we are now glad we have so many nice memories to look back on.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry Thommo. It's hard to lose a pet.

6. bitmonster

bitmonster New Member

This is really quite a touching thread. Pets can become companions, if we invest in their welfare and our connection with them. I love my cat. She sleeps on my bed every night, regularly bites me and causes general attitude driven chaos and we love her. I had a cat for many years and had to give her to my mother as I was in the renting cycle, and she passed just before I bought my home and could finally have pets.. I promised my new little cat that I will never abandon her.

7. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Click to view full size!

My turn again :upset: Today the vet came down and did the worst part of being a pet owner.

Phantom's time had come and it was time to say bye. He was 14yo this year. Sweet old man and such an awesome dog. Many fond memories of this old bugger. You'll be sorely missed, but on the plus side I know he's back with Venus again so she isn't lonely anymore

RIP old mate. Thanks for the many years of companionship

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry for your loss of Phantom. :(

9. Datsun 1600

Datsun 1600 Member

My Lutino Quarrion passed away sitting in my hand at 12.30am, she was 26 years 8 months old. Being a Lutino she was albino and lost her sight about ten years ago.

I am really going to miss Mitch.

Click to view full size!

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh, I'm so sorry about Mitch. :(

11. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Well our old cat Harry died last night.
    He was around 19 years old.
    Hope he can now rest in the big cattery in the sky.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry for your loss of Harry. :(

13. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thank you he will be missed as he is older than our children and was family.

14. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Sorry to hear about Harry. :(

15. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

thank you he was older than any other pet we have had so he is missed a lot.

16. callan

callan Member

19 years is a grand old age: Harry must have been very well looked after. Doesn't make it any easier. Very sorry to hear.

Callan

17. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

We try hard to spoil our animals especially the cats as they were/are from the RSPCA.

18. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Said goodbye to this dude at 10:30pm last night, he was surrounded by his family. Was given 6 months 3 years ago due to renal failure, but trucked on through it cause he was a tough dude.

Love ya Sylvester.

[​IMG]

19. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Sorry for your loss, at least you know he got the most out of his short time here.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Bye, Sylvester, sorry your illness finally took you. :(