R.I.P Thread

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Break the Cycle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. power

power Member

only 4? That's terrible. Sorry for your loss.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Only 4 years old :(

3. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Condolonces KosTanzA, he looked like a good pup.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

So sorry kostanza, he obviously had a happy life while he was with you.

5. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Sorry to hear Kostanza :(

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Poor lil pup...
    looks like a nice dog

7. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

:( this saddens me. My friends Rotti had a heart problem and was lucky to live to 2 years old but still far too young to be put down.

Also had a Rotti myself when I was a kid and loved her to bits but then we moved interstate and parents gave her away - I still like to think she's alive and well nearly 15 years later. What was his name KosTanzA if you don't mind me asking?

KosTanzA likes this.
  8. callan

callan Member

I'm not a dog person but i know of the unconditional love they give, and the size of their hearts and souls. Very sad to learn of your loss, kostanza.

Callan

9. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Sadly our little bunny man Joseph from this post passed away on Tuesday. Wife and I are absolutely devasted, as there are no more animals in the house. At least he's binkying free with his beloved Hershey over the Rainbow Bridge.

firey4059 likes this.
  10. broccoli

broccoli Member

RIP Joseph :(

11. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Sorry to hear that Kevlarman :(

12. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Sorry to hear Kevlarman. Joseph was cute as. RIP

13. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I thought this track was quite moving for people who have lost their pets.

Tinian likes this.
  14. callan

callan Member

Almost a bit too close to the bone, MagyaR..

Not strictly a pet - but close enough...
    About 18 months ago we The missus and I noticed that one of the cockatoo's we got trapped into feeding (long story) was looking rather moth-eaten. Some of his feathers were missing and he quickly earned the moniker "Scruffy". In hindsight he probably suffered from mites - we'll never be sure. His beak was also damaged. (My wife and I anthropomorphized it as a "he". No evidence either way. )
    His condition deteriorated and he started to lose out in the competition for seed. A second, smaller bowl was set up for him, and he learned / trained me to stick around after all the other birds had gone, and he'd get a second, personalised feed. He recovered somewhat, but it was clear the loss of feathers would slowly continue.
    As time continued Scruffy and I worked out new tricks to get the seed he so desperately needed without tipping off the rest of his flock. He survived the Winter and the following summer. I held grave fears, though for the coming winter: he simply didn't have the feathers to keep him warm.
    Well the first cold spell of winter hit, and whilst he still came the poor bugger was shivering on mornings as he cracked his seeds and was clearly in trouble - but the weather (and the nights) warmed..
    Last Monday was different. He arrived in the morning - late, and weak. He flew up to the window while the other birds were eating, clearly wanting food. I had to wait until the other birds had gone, and he sat unhappily on the edge of the (empty) feeder. I popped out, and far from his usual timid flapping to a safe distance he just sat there boldly, and watched me as I ladled out his mixed seeds, even though my hands and ladle were but an inch from him. All the seed for himself, and he ate heartily, not flying off for about an hour. He had never let me this close before, and seemed quite comfortable with the proximity, as though he realised that I was helping him.

He's not returned, and the missus and I both believe that he has expired.

Poor Scruffy. Wynter and I both miss him terribly... I hope he died happy.

Scruffy - resized.jpg

Callan

Last edited: May 25, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    firey4059 likes this.
  15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Callan, I'm sorry :( Could have been beak and feather disease, in which case there is nothing you could have done for him. He was lucky to have you as friends during his life.

firey4059 likes this.
  16. callan

callan Member

Googling Beak and Feather disease I think you're right there.. Callan

17. Copie

Copie Member

In the future if you see any bird looking like the one in the photo, attempt to catch it if possible and head it over to the nearest vet, beak and feather disease is highly contangous and can decimate flocks pretty quickly. Or if you are in a rural area, shoot it.

18. callan

callan Member

well they don't seem to have contracted it, but yes we were concerned about infecting his flock (thinking it mites).. doesn't seem to have happened.

Poor bugger.

Callan

Last edited: May 25, 2019 at 9:16 PM
  19. broccoli

broccoli Member

You can't tell whether they've got it or not. They can have it but not yet have the visible signs that they have it.... It's more problematic if you want your own birds because they can get it from the wild ones. Also don't handle any friends' birds if you've been in contact with the infected area.

20. callan

callan Member

18 months later So I'd have noticed: they're in my face every day so I'd notice.
    In any event I'm no bloody Arthas Menethil, I just look after souls in need as best I can. Sad to see him go. Second I've farwelled in two weeks so I'm a bit fucking brittle.

Callan