R.I.P Thread

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Break the Cycle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

2. callan

callan Member

So any related bird could have it, nor not have it without really knowing.. Perhaps I should not support any of them on the off chance they might. Shoot the lot of them, perhaps.. to be kind to the rest of the flock.

Thanks for your support.

Callan

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Of importance - any and all vets must treat Australian natives free of charge (that is not something they advertise) but is a legal requirement!

A majority of diseases are spread via poop 'particulate matter' - that is the poop dries out and becomes aerated and then it is spread via wind (vector), shared water, etc. This crosses species boundaries (Bird Flu as an example).

Pro Tip: create an isolated bird feeding platform on a pillar! Sanitise that verandah!

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's probably quite widespread, you don't know whether scruffy even had it. If eradication programs are considered necessary, parks and wildlife will be handling it. Don't worry, keep feeding your friends, just don't touch them, and be careful interacting with any pet birds on the off=chance that your backyard has been contaminated with the virus.

5. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Sorry to hear about Scruffy Callan.

I love the noisy, messy, gangsters that are cockatoos.

Mind you, they don't "visit" my back deck. :)

I'm sure Scruffy was very grateful for what you did for him.

6. Sankari

Sankari Member

Today we lost our beloved Max. He was at least 13 years old.

[​IMG]

We first knew Max as an anonymous stray who began sneaking inside to raid our kitchen bin late at night about 8 ½ years ago.

By 2016 he had become a more conventional visitor, and my daughter (aged at 7 the time) surprised us all by re-domesticating him.

It was she who gave him his name, and from that point onward she was his dearest friend. If he wasn't sleeping in the study or the lounge, he could be found on her bed.

We formally adopted Max, microchipped and vaccinated him, and did our best to pacify Carmen (my wife's cat) who was not wildly thrilled with the latest addition to the family.

Max was a large and powerful cat with a history of fighting, but in our home he was always a gentle giant, never raising a paw in anger to any of us (even Carmen, who accepted him eventually!)

[​IMG]

^^ Max with Carmen.

In 2017 Max proudly introduced us to his girlfriend (my daughter named her Figaroo) and their three kittens (Scratchy, Starry, and Tabitha). He led them directly to our back door, invited them in, and assumed we would take care of the rest—which we did.

[​IMG]

^^ Max with Figaroo.

Max proved himself a loving and considerate father. At feeding time he would not eat until Figaroo had finished, and he always enjoyed snuggling with the kittens.

[​IMG]

^^ Max with his kittens.

Once they were weaned, we gave away Figaroo and two of her children, but Starry stayed with us and became my daughter's second cat. It was an easy decision to make, since he was also Max's favourite.

[​IMG]

^^ Max with Starry.

Towards the end of his life Max exhibited symptoms of feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

During these moments he was completely unapproachable by anyone except my daughter, whose touch he would accept even in the midst of a seizure.

Max was loving and affectionate. He brought a quiet calm to the household, and we will miss him terribly.

[​IMG]

7. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Lovely cat. I'm sorry for your loss

Sankari likes this.
  8. callan

callan Member

Sankari. I am so, so sorry. You took in a stranger and gave him a home. Clearly, dearly loved, Max learned to live again and had a doted life. Max loved, and was loved.
    I write this to you with a cat asleep on my lap, content and relaxed with his lot. So, I am sure was Max. Cats backfill the parts of my embrittled, broken soul of mine in the way nothing else ever could. That is part of the magic of their existence. You are priveledged to have knownMax, I'm sure.. but Max was also supremely fortunate to have found you to be his owner.. they do that, you know.. it's not fate, or provenance. It's just how it is.

Rest easy, Max.

Call an

Zee and Sankari like this.
  9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Vale, Max. I'm sorry. :(

Sankari likes this.
  10. Zee

Zee Member

Sorry for your loss, Sankari.

RIP Max, clearly, a much loved member of the family.

Z...

Sankari likes this.
  11. Sankari

Sankari Member

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Our house is absolutely soaked in tears right now. It's so hard to believe that he's gone.

:(

12. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Sorry for your loss. RIP MAX.
    A sad time for the Family.

Sankari likes this.
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Meanwhile... welcome to the family, Jasper!

[​IMG]

He's 4 months old.

samus, callan, broccoli and 1 other person like this.
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Batten down the hatches! :D

Jasper's a lucky boy.

Sankari likes this.
  15. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Please get him desexed, if he isn't already

Sankari likes this.
  16. Sankari

Sankari Member

We bought him from a cat adoption centre. He's already been desexed, microchipped, and fully vaccinated.

:)

Scarpetta likes this.
  17. money_killer

money_killer Member

the kids have lost 2 guinea pigs in 2 weeks not sure if its the cold or snake/spider or natural death. So the house hasnt been to happy of late

18. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Sorry to hear about Max.

Guinea pigs will die for a variety of reasons, including news paper...

19. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

This morning we said goodbye to Bobo the Cockatiel. A few months ago she developed two tumours in the bone of her wing. The tumours were inoperable and grew to be massive, making it impossible for her to fly, and difficult for her to walk. She handled it like a boss and was the most loving and sweet bird right up until we took her to the vet this morning.
    I'm absolutely gutted. I miss her so much.
    Here's a pic of before she had the tumours. She used to "help" me with my Lego building and sorting. Best bird ever. RIP Bobo.

Click to view full size!

20. power

power Member

Cockatiels can have great little personalities, condolences mate.