Racing Simulator Cockpit Build! Now with Pics!

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Yoodaa, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hey all,

I have been into sims for a while and currently have a MOMO force feedback, and a "hyperdrive" racing frame. Pfft, lets get serious shall we....

Currently I game in front of my 1080p projector (120 Inches), and thats one thing thats going to stay, however the new cockpit will be built with option for adding a large screen onto it. Honestly, It really puts you in the seat of the car at this size. Its life size driving. Everyone who tries it agrees its mind blowing. Will try to get some pics up sometime.

So, what are my plans???

I intend to build the pedals myself to make sure they are a quality build, and can withstand a thumping. I have never been happy with bought pedals, even the G25s im afraid to really step on. Plastic? Yuck!

I will be keeping the MOMO wheel as I like the feel of it more so than the G25. Personal preference at this stage, and I may move to a G25 wheel in the future.

As for the shifter, Im going to attempt to create an FFShifter with some mods, and a H plate.
    I am not sure how this will perform, but if Im not happy with that, I will be moving to a A1 Performance, or Lightning SST shifter with out any hesitation. Toughest shifters out there.

Will have pics up soon, but my digi camera went bust so yeah...

I inteand on making my cockpit very similar to this one, with real working gauges, etc. :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35087

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I might add, I ordered all the parts I needed to today for the overhead pedals, and started building the pedals.

Shafts are done and drilled, just waiting on pedals, and some other bits to continue.

3. terroristone

terroristone Member

any pics so far? if your looking for springs and spacers (RSC POST) you could try going to champion nuts and bolts, i know there is one in kensington. i have some springs at work that will do the job you want but they are from BOV's and wastegates (rather expensive) the only good thing about these is you can easily find out the spring tensions of them.
    Andrew

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

First pic is up now!

Drilled stems out today, cleaned up burs, etc.

Incase you are wondering:

A - Accelerator
    B - Brake
    C - Clutch
    D - Dead

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

So I did lots of work last night on the project.

Pedal box is coming along nicely, with the frame for the pedals being built, and the stalks finished. Just waiting on some more parts from the states before I can continue. I assume I will have the pedals done in 2 weeks.

I should also add my thoughts on why im building most stuff, and not just buying an off the shelf G25 kit. I have used many pedal and wheel combos that are off the shelf, and have just found you need to take a little care when getting excited not to slam the pedals, etc. This causes wear and tear pretty fast. So whats the solution? Build a quality set yourself. I am using the plans from http://www.cannonsimulationtechnologies.com/category-2.htm Here is what the finished product will look like. As you can see, they are just asking for punishment.

[​IMG]

As for the shifter, I will be using a force feedback joystick (Logitech Wingman) modded with a custom force field shifting pattern, and a H plate. Apparently, this is the most realistic shifetr thats available for simulation. Everything else, whilst it may be tough, is very short shifting, and feels like a toy. Just look at the G25 shifter for example, its a toy. This will be my first shifter attempt, so a little experimentation will be required, but shouldent be to hard. If that fails, I will go going for a Lightning SST shifter, but Im still keen to try the realism of the force feedback first. All reports I have read say its fantastic.

So...where am I up to? Get on with it you say!
    Last night I modded the hell out of my momo wheel to give it a better fit, rather than just hanging off the dash. I will need to make a bottom shroud up to complete the "neatness" factor, but im happy with the results so far. Before anyone asks why I didnt mod a G25 wheel, the answer is many. I like the momo wheel, and yes I have used the G25. Also, I dont fancy wrecking a $300 wheel just yet. Ill get it right on the momo, then look at replacing it down the track.

The dash shown will be cut to size, and I will be more than likely putting an 7" LCD in where the speedos are and using a program called Rdisplay to show race/car stats like speed, revs, etc. Check it out here: http://www.pitwall-project.com/rdisplay-motec.pwp. You simply connect the 7" LCD as a secondary monitor on your PC, and the application takes care of the rest.

So onto the PICS:

To start with:

The momo wheel pulled apart, ready for destruction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get that knife nice and hot to make clean cuts on the plastic. This I have found is the best way to tear through plastic. Works a treat on car dashes to for stereo installes, etc. From a red hot blade I can get about 1"-2" of cutting before the blade cools off a litte. Took me about half an hour to cut the sides off.

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

The dash I will be using. Its from a Daihastu Charade. Wanted something smallish, but with smooth lines to give it a sporty feel. Will do the job perfectly. I will be cutting this to fit my 75cm wide cockpit, which means I will need to cut off the pasanger side after the centre console, and probably need to trim the drivers side air vents, etc. Will fit snug in the cockpit though, which is what I want.

[​IMG]

The seat I will be using. Donated by terroristone. I should mention we live around the corner from each other, so will probably be helping each other out with our cockpit builds. Must say, met him mid week, great guy, highly recommended trader!

It is very comfortable, but still bucket so will be a happy medium for me between racy, and comfort. I should mention at this stage, comfort is a big factor for me. The last thing I want is a bad neck/back after an hour of play. Needs a good steam clean, but its in great condition, and no stains, tears, etc, and foam is still in great nick.

If you are wondering why my chair is on a tyer, its because im trying to figure out measurments, heights, etc which is a little harder than you think. Its about being comfortable (especially if im going to be doing 3 hour GT races), but also about feeling sporty, etc. Anyways I got the base measurments down, and will have a better idea when the frame is built this weekend.

[​IMG]

And finally, an initially, scrappy look at how the wheel will sit in the dash, with the top cover on to make it streamlined to the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  6. terroristone

terroristone Member

nice man, looking good. check your pm.
    Regards Andrew

7. jamesl33t

jamesl33t Member

Haha! Can't wait to see this one finished!

8. metalslaw

metalslaw Member

I'm not totally sure if this wheel uses a standard pot (potentiometer) or not. But uncovering the internals will allow dust in, and after a while it will stop reading correctly.

But, it really depends on if the pot is fully sealed in or not within the steering mechanism. If it's not. Make some sort of soft cover for the internals.

I should know too :) I built my own steering wheel and pedals 10 years ago. Always replacing pots every 10-20 hours of racing because i couldn't be bothered to close off the back of the steering unit. Plus I only ever used cheap dick smith 100k pots ;)

Regards,
    metal
    /\ 2 times Grand Prix Legends Australian Lan Champion :o) /\

9. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Got a fair amount of work done today, only took me about an hour:

As you can see, im not about to re-invent the wheel, so rather than making a frame from scratch, im simply using a steel framed table, turned upside down. Scored this free from someone throwing it out. Its actually perfect dimensions for my design.

Measures about 150cm X 75cm

Here is the table upside down. Highly recommended for anyone without a welder, or looking to setup something with less stress!

[​IMG]

Here are the L brackets attached to the fron legs of the table. I then installed a beam of wood about 10cm X 73cm for the dash to mount onto.

[​IMG]

Now for the final installment of the day.

The dash was bolted, and then cut. This is the finished product of todays efforts. Not bad at all!

[​IMG]

As you can see, its coming along nicely.

Rather than building a shifter Ive decided to buy a SST lightining shifter. Tuff as balls, and will last a lifetime. I need something I can slap around. Next will be gettong the seat fitted, along with some sides for the cockpit, and mountng the gear shifter once it arrives. Also currently working on a digital dash of sorts behind the scenes.

Stay tuned!

10. skid

skid Member

gee.. an upside down table is a simple and great idea. Good lateral thinking there.

11. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Just a quick update for everyone.

Ordered my shifter:

http://www.sim-gear.com/794354.html

Works out to be about $280 AU from an Australian supplier. Supposed to be unbreakable, and one of the best shifters available for purchase! YAY!

Also got the center console from a Mazda. Came with rubber boot and all. Only $2 from ebay. Should fit nicely.

12. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Pardon the french but... no shit!!!

This is an amazing project, congratulations. Lol i bet the Mrs is a fan :)

13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

To sum it up in a word...no, shes not the biggest fan, however, she does put up with my enthusiastic, over the top projects.

Im now beginning to wonder if I should get an ecci steering wheel....but at almost $1000, its an expensive investment.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  14. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I think what you have in store for the pedals are the most impressive part so far (altho the charade dash is extremely cool).

Every time i use the G25 i die a little inside *knowing* the brake is closer to the clutch than it is to the accelerator. And heel/toeing in socks... sucks. Also feels like driving a Volkswagen with the angle they're on.

15. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah pedals will be crazy. Cant wait to finish them. Actually did a dummie fit out of the cockpit last night, and everything should squeeze under the dash, buts its going to be tight! :Paranoid:

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Just an update for everyone so you can all sleep at night....lol

I was bought a G25 for my birthday yesterday from my brother, who didn't know I was building a DIYwheel! Anyways, as it turns out I was considering getting one anyways until I have finished my wheel. Im getting withdrawals!

This may infact slow/stop my DIY wheel project as I assume I will just get used to the G25 and start liking it! That said, I will not be using the shifter, or pedals provided with the G25, unless im playing my ps3 on it, which would be rarely. I must admit, I used it briefly yesterday on LFS for a while, and it felt very good. Should feel even better in my cockpit.

The pedals are coming along nicely, and I will try to get a pic up today of my progress. Once the pedals are done, It should not take me more than a couple of weeks to get it all together.

17. metalslaw

metalslaw Member

The pedals are at the wrong angle, even for 'on the floor' pedals. :( They work, just not perfectly.

It comes down to 'space in box' requirements. And it's sad considering the the quality of the wheel. If they wanted to make the pedals comfortable, they needed to put them on a proper heel pivot about 10cm off the ground at 30deg flat to the floor(40deg lifted). Unfortunately this would require the box to be twice as large... in which case they could almost do ecci equivilent top hinged pedals :p

I know one day soon i'm going to have to modify my newly acquired g25 to my angles of my homebuilt wheel and pedals. The wheel is at the right angle (i remmember the old wheels at 45deg to the desk, aghhh, talk about broken 'space in box' stupidity). The pedals need the casing removed, and modified for a longer arc, pivot placed just under the heal in a custom housing in an old ecci type housing ;)

Regards,
    metalslaw

/\ twice australian grand prix legend lan champion ;) /\

18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

ok so I know some people have been following this thread, and may have thought I was dead, HOWEVER, im alive and kicking!

I have dedicated this whole weekend to cockpit building, so I should get heaps done. Pesals are 99% done. Just need to disassemble, paint, and put back together.

I finished my "button box" today. Its brushed aluminum, with a clear coat to stop pesky finger marks. Has a missile switch for ignition, and a big green button for starter.

Here are some pics, including on its own, and in the cockpit. Fits great, and looks great. Now to apply the lables tonight...:Paranoid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

Much more updates on the way after this weekend. She should be at least 80% + completed this weekend fingers crossed.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  19. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

looking forward to it, keep em coming.

20. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

In the words of Gordon Ramsey, F&^K ME! What an effort! But worth it.

Managed to get a heap done this weekend, including the sides cut and shaped, center console built, shifter mounted, pedal box undercoated.

Whats left to do? (this is also a running list for me to remember what to do)

1. Floor needs to be carpeted
    2. Center console needs to upholstered
    3. Pedals mounted
    4. Sides painted (might do something special here)
    5. Dash displays fitted (LCD, and SLI)
    6. Speakers installed
    7. Wheel installed
    8. Handbrake installed
    9. Projector mount made

Anyways, here are some pics with the updated work. I might add the shifter feels great installed. Very solid, and very realistic feeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]