1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rack mounted powerboard with switches

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Tetsuma, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Limited electrical knowledge, have played with DIY electrical kits before that use DC but stayed well away form Mains. Is this something I could attempt at home?:

I'd like to make a rack-mounted power-board has individual switches on the front and eight IEC320 sockets on the back (presumably the same in, but a plug). Illuminated when switched on would be neat, but not required. Originally put thoughts towards buying an eight socket board with individual switches and ripping out the internals and run insulated wires between the switch and replace the sockets.

Could anyone point me in the right direction or should I stay well away as it is mains and i'm not educated/qualified enough to be playing with it?

2. _zak

_zak Member

Others know the rules better than I do, but generally in Aus - if you're not qualified, it's against the law to do work on mains equipment. Even if it weren't, I wouldn't want to do this as you're likely handling a fair bit of current and making a slight mistake (bad crimp etc.) can easily spiral into an electrical fire.

Is there any reason a conventional rack-mount power board, mounted at the back of the rack wouldn't do the job, or is it the individual switches that are the key?

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely 100% of course you should if you're not qualified.

4. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Thanks guys, i'll knuckle down and cop the price of a prebuilt one.

Switches for my subwoofer and audio monitors at the front would save me from floor diving. The control would be ideal without getting down there in general and it would pick the cables up off the ground neatly.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yup - that is NOT a DIY job.

Well, it can be but not legally. Your insurance company will also tell you that (whilst they furiously rub their hands with glee knowing they won't have to make any payouts...).

Troll the usual (and even unusual) places for a powerboard assembly set up like you want, that's already made up and legal/safe with the appropriate certification labelling on it. Uncle Google would be your first stop.

Or find a licensed Sparky that can make one for you.

6. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Would you think this is something they would take on? I feel like they'd tell me to get lost over such a small job.
    I'll ring around, I suppose.

7. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Oh, any Sparky should lick their lips at a job like that.

It won't be cheap, and they pretty well should be able to do it whilst sitting watching TV...

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

9. OP
    OP
    Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

10. cvidler

cvidler Member