Rad requirements

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by cbwolf, Oct 29, 2011.

1. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Just wanted to as ka quick question before i place an order.

Would a single 3x140 (420) radiator be enough to cool an OCed i5 + 2x 6970's or the i5 and a single 6990 and have decent load temps?

2. Copie

Copie Member

Yep, more then plenty.

What type of rad? SR1 i take it?

3. OP
    OP
    cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Yes SR1 as im intending on using low noise fans.

Just looking at the case, i could slot another 1x140mm rad in there and run them in series - or would this not be required and have no benefit?

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

you can NEVAR have too much rad! :thumbup:

5. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

6. Copie

Copie Member

7. OP
    OP
    cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Case wont fit a quad radiator - i've tried :p

It's an Xigmatek Elysium case, which has a top grill for 3x140mm and then a plastic dock after that so i can't even cut out another fan hole.

Like i said, i was considering a top 3x140 and then a 1x140 at the rear, but if it's going to have no real impact then it's not worth the extra outlay and tubing.

8. Copie

Copie Member

Swap it around? you should be able to fit a quad in the basement (and have the psu in the top mount?

9. OP
    OP
    cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Ive been curious about that. Wouldn't that be a bit inefficient considering you would be blowing air, that has been warmed up by the radiator into the case and across all of your components?

10. Copie

Copie Member

Yes and no, the counter argument is that the ambient in a case will always be higher then the outside air, so by having them as intake means your sucking the cool air from outside the case in via the rad and into the case.

99.9% of components can deal with that additional heat without issues (as most electrics are well over engineered)

An idea would be to have the rad at the bottom as intake, then have several fans + the psu + the exhaust fan at the top creating a cross ventilation effect in the case, ensuring a steady flow across the system.

11. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

Firstly under normal conditions the air exiting from a radiator into the case should only be a couple of degrees hotter than the air entering the radiator. Unless of course you have seriously underestimated your radiator size, airflow rate and coolant flow rate requirements.

Secondly the air pushed into the system through the radiator should be rapidly extracted by the fans you are using to provide case air flow.