Rage

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by iNeLuKi, Aug 4, 2007.

1. proffesso

proffesso Member

did you even bother to read my previous posts?

2. proffesso

proffesso Member

a steam mirror is how big? add in Sony, Nintendo and Microsofts librarys as well, and local, free mirrors are somewhat more difficult.

tessalation only makes rounded surfaces smoother. you still need a base mesh to have the detail in it to control the tessalation anyway.

the only reason why we do things like MSAA on deferred rendering, is performance. most current methods of aa are simple due to-
    a. not enough fillrate
    b. not enough vram

both of which have been overcome for the most part.

4X MSAA with a fp16(or 32!) framebuffer is good enough for most anything, like I said before, current quadro's can do 64X and 128X...its just a matter of vram

problem with SSAO, is since its screenspace, you get a lot of unwanted hits, and not enough control over effect distance. throw in the aweful halo's it generates around objects located in differnt z-space, combined with the lower resolution of an SSAO map, and it just looks like a murky mess.

its OK for dark games (we are using it now, SSAO2 in UE3) since our game is very dark, but even then I still cringe when I see it doing something that it shouldnt.

PS3 can do MSAA on deferred framebuffers, and its only 7600/7800 based hardware....DX10 just makes it easier.

3. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

You said it pal:(

I dont give a rat's ass about graphics. Give me gameplay and i'll be all over it. Infact more enjoyment can be had with the occasional clever flash game. I want to experience something; not be spoon fed like a baby.

Unfortunately, this doesnt sell with marketing and in turn it's the rubbish that sells to the mindless masses who consume endless supplies of twat over and over ... and over. It's a bummer ain't it:Paranoid: I remember the days of zelda and wacky games for the super nintendo that had a nice concentrated vision and you loved the games for what they were. Now it's just pile of repetitive crap on top of pile of crap.

Phill you make some of the best posts here and i feel your pain. Nowhere as enthusiastic as i used to be about gaming as there's quite few games anymore that really engage. Sigh.

Definitely looking forward to this game and i hope it delivers.

4. raGneG

raGneG Member

I think a balance is necessary.. you couldn't 8bit Rage no matter how good the gameplay.

Fallout3 is a good example of a slightly clunky and old engine being carried by some great story/rpg/gameplay. But I'm not really keen for New Vegas because it's STILL THE SAME OBLIVION FKN BUGGY ENGINE.

5. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

thats not really an issue, high performace sequencial disk performaces isn't hard or that expensive to achieve. that should be factored into steams pricing model anyway.

tessalation has a few differnet "modes" some do more then just round surfaces

i say its neither, its not enough memory bandwidth from ROP's to get for example 4 colour and 4 Z samples (4x SSAA). but its not the sample depth i have issues with its AA on transperencies thus needing SSAA. When this kind of stuff isn't added to the PC version ( hell most console titles are lucky to get 2X MSAA let alone SSAA) it can really kill an otherwise visually enjoyable enviroment

until you hit a transperency

as far as im aware most PS3 devs dont touch MSAA with a 40 foot poll because of its terible Z fillrate, i have seen posts about some devs doing AA resolve on an SPU so they can in effect to "edge detect". But i thought most PS3 devs had gone down some kind of road relating to this:
    http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/morphological-antialiasing/

this thread has alot of info about how AA is implemented ( particularlly the PS3)
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55634

6. proffesso

proffesso Member

sure, but thats when you use traditional forward rendering....smoke / water and most things dont need pre pixel lighting anyway.

7. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

8. taffer

taffer Member

Anyone else pick up the quakecon pack on steam. It made me very happy :D

9. trickma

trickma Member

Has anyone come across a download for John Carmack's keynote?

10. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Phiail >_>

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  11. trickma

trickma Member

Cheers! I agree Low Res is for suckers :thumbup:

12. taffer

taffer Member

err thats labeled 09, where is the 2010 one?

13. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

14. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Dedicated servers:

15. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I remember watching the Good game review of MW2 and they were complaining about the ping etc, etc.....so don't these jokers fucking monitor customer feedback?
    The annoying thing about MW2 is that it made so much money yet was another sub standard PC gimped game.

16. trickma

trickma Member

Has anyone at all come across the keynote video for 2010? Usually many people film it ugh!

17. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

FYI this came out on iPhone today, downloading the HD version atm

18. OP
    OP
    iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

Thought the iPhone release was just a minigame / tech demo?

19. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

It is, and it sucks. lol

Why do I always expect more.

20. Grant

Grant Member

Played the iPad version and it's pretty fun. It's a rail-shooter, and worth the $2.50 IMHO